• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I’m very happy with my thermapen mk4.

One of my kids gave me 50 dollars to buy a remote thermometer...ended up ordering the thermopro. Haven’t tried it yet...

I think for most grilling I’ll still just use the instant read thermapen. But for large pieces, whole birds, smoking, etc. I think I’ll find the remote thermometer helpful.

So far this week I’ve done some chicken thighs and pork tenderloins. Happy to be grilling.

So I'm looking at getting a new grill and a lot of grills I'm looking at are either fully or partially infrared. Anyone have experience with these kinds of grills?

I had an Infrared a few years ago and did use it, but feel like the technology now is way better than what I had.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with built-in grills. I am leaning towards a brand called Summerset but have no experience with them. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

I also have a WSM and love it, going to smoke tonight as a matter of fact!

So I'm looking at getting a new grill and a lot of grills I'm looking at are either fully or partially infrared. Anyone have experience with these kinds of grills?
I had one for seven years. Infrared is great for grilling and searing, not so great for low and slow cooking. The grates are kind of a pain in the ass to clean, and you'll have to replace them in about three years after they rust out on you.
Bottom line, infrared is nice to have as an accessory, but not your primary grill/smoker.

Pretty much.

I had an infrared grill for maybe 8-10 years. It was fine.

I now have a Weber gas grill and like this one better. I get better grill marks, seem to have more precise control over surface cooking temperature, and it’s a simpler set up to clean and maintain.

Another difference, unsure if it’s an advantage or not...with the infrared grill, almost all drippings were incinerated and turned into smoke. With the Weber, there’s plenty of that happening but a good bit more of the drippings get to the pan. Also and related, NO flame ups with the infrared. Do get some with the Weber.

Those emitter plates on the infrared indeed rust and require periodic replacement.

I have a Blaze natural gas grill that you can swap out one of the burners for an infrared. Kind of a nice option to give the flexibility even though I don’t use the infrared burner that often.

Thanks y'all, that's all helpful. I was worried about the low and slow part, but the one I'm looking at says it can go as low as 200 and as high as 900, which seems pretty good. The no flareups sounds appealing, but one of my concerns is that it seems like it may just be an outdoor high heat oven, or maybe like a cast iron grill pan and that without any contact with open flame that it'll kind of lose some of that fire/smoke flavor that i often associate with grilling. But maybe not if the drippings incinerate on the heating glass/plate and go back up to the food. I dunno. I haven't shopped for a grill in a long time, and the last time I did I just went to the big orange box and got the Weber that was already assembled so I didn't have to mess around with putting it together. I had no clue that the grill world was so expansive. Shopping grills is exhausting.

Yep, there’s a lot to consider.

Even with a single company like Weber.

I ended up with a 3 burner “special edition”...actually, thus one: link

I had it delivered in a box and enjoyed putting it together. Been very happy with it so far.

I like the SS grates and the side burner.

Not sure if the searing station is really worth it.

Overall, with a minute timer and instant read thermometer it’s easy to get good results, a simple set up...easy and reliable.

Whoa, has it really been 3 years since the last post? Solid work @BeachBumDeac

Our Weber Summit is on its last leg, but has served us well for over a decade. The outside is fine, but the interior components are kaput.

After many years of great use, it's time for me to replace my grill brush. Any recommendations?

Dang it BBD. Now I have to read thru this thread.

After many years of great use, it's time for me to replace my grill brush. Any recommendations?
I got one of those grill rescue things this year and that thing is actually pretty amazing.

Use that + a great scrape woody shovel from time to time. Don't like wire grill brushes after a bad experience once.

I currently have the one Townie linked, and don't like the bristles falling out from time to time. I've looked into the grill rescue brushes, but wasn't sure if it was worth the hype.

I use a hard plastic bristled brush or mostly just burn things off these days. My old wire bristle brush started shedding bristles that stick to the grates so I got concerned about them getting in food and ingesting them. Hope that wasn’t your bad experience cookout…

Back