• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Interesting, I generally do this the other way - Sear first over direct, then give it some time with indirect. Do you still get the same "crust" when you sear at the end instead of the beginning? What's the advantage of this method?

Very tender meat. Makes a RibEye taste like a Filet. Really all searing does is lock in the juices - slow cooking does the same thing.

really simple but we cut up squash and zucchini in disc shapes and then cut whole mushrooms in half. drizzle EVOO and sprinkle with kosher salt and coarse pepper. grill it over med-high heat in a grill basket, shaking it around every couple of minutes.

My burger recipe (both my family and my wife love them):

80/20 Ground beef (~2 lb for 4 1/2lb burgers. I like the extra flavor from having more fat like this, but these are still good with 93/7)
1 Tbsp BBQ rub or seasoned salt (BBQ rub if I have a homemade one around, or Jack's Burger House seasoning salt from Dallas. Use whatever you like, though)
1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
~1/4 cup ice cold water

Mix well together in a bowl (use your hands, it's messy but it pays off)
Separate into patties, salt and pepper, make a thumb print before putting on the grill (probably assumed for most people reading this thread).

Guaranteed delicious. FWIW, that little bit of water helps keep the burgers super moist. A trick I picked up from http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/ (who I basically got this recipe from, but I've tweaked it slightly for my own use)

Made a small batch of these for just my wife and I last night, although I did them in a skillet instead of on the grill. Still, I stand by their deliciousness

Oi, and who cooks steaks on a grill? Cast iron pan and a really, really hot oven is the way to go.

Grills are awesome for a lot of things. Just not steaks.

Saw an episode of Primal Grill this weekend on PBS where Steve was cooking babyback ribs on a large Weber grill, using the side containers to indirectly heat. He kept ranting and raving about the technique and cooked ribs in just over an hour. Seemed like a quick and fairly easy way to cook them, but goes against every grain in my body. IMO, low and slow is the only way you should be cooking ribs.

Anyone with the larger Weber kettles ever try it this way?

Oi, and who cooks steaks on a grill? 275 deg oven and a really, really hot cast iron pan is the way to go.

Fixed for you. Inside out method FTW.

Oi, and who cooks steaks on a grill? Cast iron pan and a really, really hot oven is the way to go.

Personal preference - but before you knock the slow cook method, you need to try it.

Saw an episode of Primal Grill this weekend on PBS where Steve was cooking babyback ribs on a large Weber grill, using the side containers to indirectly heat. He kept ranting and raving about the technique and cooked ribs in just over an hour. Seemed like a quick and fairly easy way to cook them, but goes against every grain in my body. IMO, low and slow is the only way you should be cooking ribs.

Anyone with the larger Weber kettles ever try it this way?

Have you ever used the stacking method for ribs? If you ar doing 2 or more racks at as time, stack the ribs and then re-stack from top to bottom every 45min or so. The ribs will self-baste this way.

Have you ever used the stacking method for ribs? If you ar doing 2 or more racks at as time, stack the ribs and then re-stack from top to bottom every 45min or so. The ribs will self-baste this way.

He put his in a rib rack, and did about 5 of them. I've stacked ribs before (see below) on my smoker, but I honestly dont like doing that. I cant baby them the way I prefer, and they tend to not come out as good. The picture below was doing 64 racks of ribs last year for one of the tailgates.

156689_175983455764344_175983369097686_478004_4815522_n.jpg

Any marinades for Shark?

Will be grilling some later this week and I'm searching for a recipe since I haven't had shark in a while.

i just got my brand new weber grill last week, and finally got my propane tank on sunday. i went a little nuts in the produce department on sunday, and have been grilling almost continuously since then. a lot of grilled asparagus, bell peppers, and yellow squash (the store was out of zucchini when i was there, or i would mix the two of those). i <3 grilled veggies.

I havent had shark in a while, but I really like a fresh lemon pepper marinade for fish. I prefer the citrusy taste. Something similar to this recipe.
Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup light cooking oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Another universal marinade that also works on fish is italian dressing.

I've been on "two meals at once" grilling kick lately. T'is a tough economy and it's nice to save time with multiple little ones running amok lately at the casa.
I figure that if I'm going to burn charcoal, then at a minimum I need to make two meals for the time invested. For example, I will season three chicken breasts with the usual rub, grill all three at once and serve one each to me and the Mrs. I then drop the third into the food processor once it has cooled along with celery, spinach, grapes, mayo, low-fat sour cream, pickles and Old Bay seasoning. Pulse it three times, and I've got the next day's grilled chicken salad sandie ready for a glass jar (and easy morning prep the next day).

Anyone else got any 'two'fers' they can share?

Exact same thing as mentioned above, but I process the extra chicken breast and mix it with some salsa and cheese and use it as quesadilla filling the next day.

I always grill a few extra burgers/dogs/chicken. Dinner before is usually my lunch the following day. It saves money not having to buy lunch, plus I can put about anything on a couple pieces of bread and make a sandwich.

I made the Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub Grilled/Smoked Salmon on Sunday for a chica. I am not really even a big fan of cooked salmon but this recipe is cashmoney. I make it on a BGE and add a bit of apple wood to give it a bit of smoke, but it is still great without it. Great summer grilling recipe.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

SalmonFinished.jpg

Meat
Horseradish sauce
Worcestershire
Cayenne
Garlic Powder
S&P

Make Patties.

Grill.

Nom.
Mine are:

The leanest hamburger meat possible, often mixed 50/50 with venison hamburger meat from the freezer.

~1 egg/lb. of meat
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
garlic salt
onion powder
oregano
some form of season-all or seasoned salt

make patties, and lightly season with some form of hamburger seasoning. I keep a lot of different ones, and try them all.

Back