• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Exact same thing as mentioned above, but I process the extra chicken breast and mix it with some salsa and cheese and use it as quesadilla filling the next day.

I tried this last night...great call. I used lowfat sour cream, salsa, cheddar and jack cheeses, and two pre-diced, pregrilled (with heavy rub) chicken breasts. A little lemon zest and juice, and then a thorough (Rodney) Rogering by the food processor, and that was leftover gold. Thanks for the tip.

A Challenger Appears

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/04/26/cook-octopus/?test=faces

octopus397.jpg

Just a FYI, I went to my local Ace Hardware yesterday and came across large bags of hardwood lump charcoal for $11. If you use lump, its a great value.

^ grilled octopus is good, although I have never made it myself

I have a recipe for grilled meatloaf from one of my Weber cookbooks that is fantastic if anyone would be interested.

Oh my, those are 2 of 1297's favorite things: meatloaf and grill. WANT!

DP...I will get the recipe from home tonight and post it...it really is awesome.

Here is the recipe (finally):

April's Barbecued Meat Loaf

Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 50 to 60 minutes

Meat loaf
1-1/4 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
1-1/4 pounds ground pork
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

1. In a large bowl combine the meat loaf ingredients. Using your hands, mix until thoroughly combined.

2. Divide the meat loaf mixture in half and form into 2 loaves, about 4 inches wide and 6 to 7 inches long. Place the loaves on a baking sheet.

3. In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients. Top each meat loaf with 3 tablespoons of the sauce mixture and coat thoroughly.

4. Using a metal spatula (you may need two), gently pick up each loaf from the baking sheet and place them directly on the cooking grate. Grill the meat loaves over indirect medium-low heat (about 300°F), with the lid closed, until a thermometer inserted horizontally through the top of the loaf registers 155°F, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove the loaves from the grill and let rest 10 to 15 minutes (they will continue to cook, allowing them to reach the recommended 160°F for ground beef and pork). Slice the meat loaf into 1/2-inch slices and serve with the remaining sauce.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Grilling Tip:
To make meat loaf sandwiches: Slice meat loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices; slather both sides with some of the remaining sauce. Grill over direct low heat (250°F to 350°F) for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve on toasted bread. Also great with melted provolone cheese!

Picked up a gas grill a couple weeks ago. It was originally $400 but know a guy that works at the store and it was marked down to $125. Never used gas before, but the mother f'r gets hotter than hell. Not really sure how to deal with that yet, but I figure I'll just do burgers on it for awhile until it gets a decent coat of gunk on it and cools down. As hot as it gets, should be good for some steaks though, going to give that a run tomorrow. Has a side burner, which I think is awesome, but have no idea how I'll put the thing to use.

Picked up a gas grill a couple weeks ago. It was originally $400 but know a guy that works at the store and it was marked down to $125. Never used gas before, but the mother f'r gets hotter than hell. Not really sure how to deal with that yet, but I figure I'll just do burgers on it for awhile until it gets a decent coat of gunk on it and cools down. As hot as it gets, should be good for some steaks though, going to give that a run tomorrow. Has a side burner, which I think is awesome, but have no idea how I'll put the thing to use.

Side burners are great for cooking anything that you do not want to leave an odor in the house - fish, turnip greens and such. Also works great when your house loses power. Don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I have also used it with a frying pay to sear tuna before putting it on the grill....

Why would a hot grill be a bad thing?

Never used gas before, but the mother f'r gets hotter than hell. Not really sure how to deal with that yet, but I figure I'll just do burgers on it for awhile until it gets a decent coat of gunk on it and cools down.

My suggestion would be to use the little turny knobby things to turn it down to a lower setting. There should be some directions in the owners manual.

Is it one of the infrared grills?

Grillin' up some burgers from NY Butcher Shop this evening, drinkin' many a beer, and watching the draft/Braves/Spurs. Good screen porch night in the ATL.

My suggestion would be to use the little turny knobby things to turn it down to a lower setting. There should be some directions in the owners manual.

Is it one of the infrared grills?

Infrared yes. And I'll have to look into these "knobby" things of which you speak. :plos:

Infrared grills are great. LK got one a couple years ago. They cook at a much lower setting than a standard grill. IIRC, it took him a little bit to get used to the difference but he loves it.

Our extended plan is to have an outdoor kitchen in the back yard. Have a built in gas grill, charcoal grill pit, fireplace, hard mounted smoker and a pizza oven. It'll go beside the saltwater pool and lounging area. Its a long ways out, but we've got dreams.

My contribution:

Take a fresh tuna steak, lightly brush with olive oil.
Coat the steak with sesame seeds.
Place smothered steak in a hot skillet in a 350 dg oven for 3-4 minutes.
Place on a hot charcoal grill to seer on high for 2 minutes
Cook for 2 additional minutes under medium coal heat

Remove tuna steak(s) and serve with fresh horse radish sauce for dipping and crisp ice berg lettuce.

You'll thank me later. It's absolutely delicious.

OSDToy and I are having this for dinner tonight...

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if there is one in here but anyone got a good beer can chicken recipe? We'll be using a charcoal grill. Thanks.

Back