• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Our extended plan is to have an outdoor kitchen in the back yard. Have a built in gas grill, charcoal grill pit, fireplace, hard mounted smoker and a pizza oven. It'll go beside the saltwater pool and lounging area. Its a long ways out, but we've got dreams.

I've always wanted an outdoor kitchen. Would be boss.

Broke out the side burner today for some rice. That thing brings some HEAT! Love it!

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if there is one in here but anyone got a good beer can chicken recipe? We'll be using a charcoal grill. Thanks.

I love doing this recipe. You need one of the wire doohickeys, which I think I got from Lowe's for $1.99.

Simple and easy.

1) Rub the chicken with your favorite seasoning. Chill in fridge for 45 minutes.
2) Properly dispose of 1/3 of the beer.
3) Stuff cavity with 1/2 of lemon, fresh herbs (rosemary works well).
4) Insert.
5) Cook over indirect heat for about 90 minutes.

i'm excited about tomorrow night. baja citrus marinade on grilled chicken breast. going to put it on bread with bacon, tomato, provolone, and slices of avocado. had a $50 best buy card so i put it towards a cuisinart panini press.

sounds amazing in my head, but any foodies have any suggestions on how to possibly improve? will avocado slices hold up okay under panini press?

i'm excited about tomorrow night. baja citrus marinade on grilled chicken breast. going to put it on bread with bacon, tomato, provolone, and slices of avocado. had a $50 best buy card so i put it towards a cuisinart panini press.

sounds amazing in my head, but any foodies have any suggestions on how to possibly improve? will avocado slices hold up okay under panini press?

I'd try to make the slices very thin, or just mash into a paste and spread on the bread before you press the sandwich.

After being inspired by Man vs Food, I made up some Jucy Lucys last night. Took some fresh ground beef, used the burger press to make some burgers halfway between 1/4lb and 1/3lb precooked. Split the burgers in half, added the cheese and pressed the edges together. Threw them on the grill on med-hi and cooked them until the sides were done. Pulled them off, and basked in the molten cheesy goodness. They were phenominal. Defintely something I'm going to keep doing in the future, as long as I'm not cooking over a half dozen or so. It was a little more time consuming, but well worth it. For more info, you can google Jucy Lucy. The pic below is a representation, but not the actual burger I cooked.

juicy_lucy_picture.jpg

thanks LCD. also, i'm going to use monterrey jack rather than provolone. slipped up when i typed earlier.

and tsy those things look legit.

Here is the recipe (finally):

April's Barbecued Meat Loaf

Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 50 to 60 minutes

Meat loaf
1-1/4 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
1-1/4 pounds ground pork
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

Did this last night...So delicious. :thumbsup:

Here is the recipe (finally):

April's Barbecued Meat Loaf

Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 50 to 60 minutes

Meat loaf
1-1/4 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
1-1/4 pounds ground pork
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

Did this last night...So delicious. :thumbsup:

AWESOME!!! Glad you enjoyed.

I made this Saturday night, along with 2 lbs. of OSD Shrimp (surf & turf FTW). The Whiskey Sauce is one of the best sauces I have ever made, used Maker's Mark of course.

Big Cowboy Steaks with Whiskey Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

Sauce
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup whiskey
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Tabasco® sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 bone-in rib eye steaks, each 14 to 16 ounces and about 1-1/4 inches thick, trimmed of excess fat
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper

Instructions

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and translucent but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent browning. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour in the whiskey (beware of any flames). Return the pan to the heat and cook until the whiskey has almost completely evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste until well incorporated. Add the syrup, vinegar, mustard, paprika, Tabasco, and pepper, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, to meld the flavors and thicken the sauce slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Lightly brush the steaks on both sides with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).

Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect heat). Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the sauce.

I cooked the steaks a little differently than the last paragraph, I seared for 4 minutes on Direct High Heat, and then finished on Indirect Medium Heat for the remainder of the time required for Medium Rare...I think it was about 6 more minutes, flipping them about a minute or two after searing.

^did you get that recipe from Weber's steak recipe book? i'm pretty sure i have one with the exact same title and was really wanting to try it.

^did you get that recipe from Weber's steak recipe book? i'm pretty sure i have one with the exact same title and was really wanting to try it.

We have three Weber cookbooks, but that recipe came form the Weber "Recipe of the Week" email that we signed up for a long time ago...I am sure it is in one of their cookbooks as well.

Originally Posted by coredeac
My contribution:

Take a fresh tuna steak, lightly brush with olive oil.
Coat the steak with sesame seeds.
Place smothered steak in a hot skillet in a 350 dg oven for 3-4 minutes.
Place on a hot charcoal grill to seer on high for 2 minutes
Cook for 2 additional minutes under medium coal heat

Remove tuna steak(s) and serve with fresh horse radish sauce for dipping and crisp ice berg lettuce.

You'll thank me later. It's absolutely delicious.

OSDToy and I are having this for dinner tonight...

I make almost this same recipe. I recommend substituting wasabi mayo for the olive oil though. The mayo makes the sesame seeds stick better and gives the resultant crust a little kick.

Originally Posted by coredeac
My contribution:

Take a fresh tuna steak, lightly brush with olive oil.
Coat the steak with sesame seeds.
Place smothered steak in a hot skillet in a 350 dg oven for 3-4 minutes.
Place on a hot charcoal grill to seer on high for 2 minutes
Cook for 2 additional minutes under medium coal heat

Remove tuna steak(s) and serve with fresh horse radish sauce for dipping and crisp ice berg lettuce.

You'll thank me later. It's absolutely delicious.

I make almost this same recipe. I recommend substituting wasabi mayo for the olive oil though. The mayo makes the sesame seeds stick better and gives the resultant crust a little kick.

This was vey good, but I was 4 beers in + on my 2nd glassof Cabernet when I started...I brushed the tuna with olive oil, covered with sesame seeds, and then grilled on a 550 degree grill for about 90 seconds on each side, very tasty.

Back