• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I have a very similar Webber Summitt as the one pictured. Mine is stand alone though. I have really enjoyed it. Have it hooked to a natural gas line from the house.

I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that I have had since August 1997...the only reason that I want the Summit is that it is twice the size...we need to make our deck bigger before I get the new grill, and it will be a ntural gas model as well...looking forward to that day.

I have a Weber Genesis 1000 that I have had since August 1997...the only reason that I want the Summit is that it is twice the size...we need to make our deck bigger before I get the new grill, and it will be a ntural gas model as well...looking forward to that day.

Let me know when you have the deck raising party. I work for beer, and something cooked on a Weber Summit.....

It was a pain, but also so much fun when I built my deck.

If I had the money, I'd have one of these in a heartbeat. Open wood grill, with adjustable rack. These things are awesome, but quite pricy.

grill_f.jpg

I'm contemplating stepping my game up. Anyone have any experience with a tow-behind griller/smoker, like you see at huge bbq cook-outs?

In all seriousness, I built my tailgate trailer from the ground up, including a 7ft reverse flow smoker. What would you like to know?

tsy is boss with this stuff. I saw the shell of the thing a year before it was constructed and couldn't envision how it was going to come together. Pretty crazy.

In all seriousness, I built my tailgate trailer from the ground up, including a 7ft reverse flow smoker. What would you like to know?

No kidding, I had no idea. Where to even begin?

You really have to decide first what your primary purpose of it will be. Just grilling, smoking, cooking large amounts of food or small amounts.

Unless you plan on regularly plan on cooking for large groups of people, a cooker that large is actually inefficient. It takes a lot of fuel to heat up and sustain the heat needed to cook long periods of time. For our tailgate (~50 people), I included a gas grill, a large smoker, kegerator, large marine cooler and large chopping block. I'll post a pic in a few.

You really have to decide first what your primary purpose of it will be. Just grilling, smoking, cooking large amounts of food or small amounts.

Unless you plan on regularly plan on cooking for large groups of people, a cooker that large is actually inefficient. It takes a lot of fuel to heat up and sustain the heat needed to cook long periods of time. For our tailgate (~50 people), I included a gas grill, a large smoker, kegerator, large marine cooler and large chopping block. I'll post a pic in a few.

You forgot FIELD TURF!

Here's a pic of the smoker on the trailer, with the grill.
154500_594146608343_7208373_34256318_6141007_n.jpg

Here is a look at some ribs cooking:
33549_1502793564172_1064206047_31192241_2038743_n.jpg

And finally for OSD:
5290_554836496123_7204697_33020252_1456095_n.jpg

All this talking of killing Osama has got me into a grilling mood. I've got a few lbs of chicken breasts thawed out and want to do stuffed chicken. Who's got a good recipe?

Used to have an amazing recipe for Monterey Jack stuffed Chicken Breast, but can't find it anymore. I'll see if I can when I get home. Pretty sure I threw some bacon in once too. NOMNOMNOM.

All this talking of killing Osama has got me into a grilling mood. I've got a few lbs of chicken breasts thawed out and want to do stuffed chicken. Who's got a good recipe?

tsy...I have not made this one in years, but it is great:

Artichoke-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Stuffing
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 jar (7 ounces) artichoke hearts
2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves

4 boneless chicken breasts halves (with skin), each about 8 ounces
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper

Instructions

In a medium sauté pan combine the oil, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Set the pan over medium-high heat to warm the oil mixture for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, rinse, and coarsely chop the artichokes and add to the pan along with the garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Add the goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Mix to evenly distribute the ingredients. Set aside to cool.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).

Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and, with a meat mallet or the back of small pan, pound to flatten to an even thickness of about 1/4-inch. Place the breasts, skin side down, and spread each one with a quarter of the stuffing. Fold the breasts in half over the stuffing and use toothpicks to skewer the sides closed. Brush both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chicken breasts over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the juices run clear and the cheese is melted, 8 to 12 minutes, turning once (if flare-ups occur, finish grilling the breasts over indirect medium heat). Remove from the grill and carefully remove the toothpicks. Serve warm.

:rock: This is amazing. I want to cry that is so awesome.

Here's a pic of the smoker on the trailer, with the grill.
154500_594146608343_7208373_34256318_6141007_n.jpg

Here is a look at some ribs cooking:
33549_1502793564172_1064206047_31192241_2038743_n.jpg

And finally for OSD:
5290_554836496123_7204697_33020252_1456095_n.jpg

:rock: This is amazing. I want to cry that is so awesome.

For the right price, its available for sell.

@tsy...did you see/receive the recipe that I sent you yesterday afternoon...what did you end up making?

I did. Imagonna file that one away for future use, minus the artichoke hearts. She got off work really late and had a meeting at 7pm, so she called me up and we had chinese take out instead. I'm probably going to use the chicken tonight to make up some quesadillas in honor of Pueblo, but will definitely make the stuffed chicken in the future.

Grilled corn on the cob and bacon wrapped steaks last night. Everything turned aout spot on, BUT I'm having a helluva time getting my cast iron grates seasoned.

Before I used them I rubbed them down with crisco and threw them in the oven. When they were done I sprayed them down with Pam and put them on the grill. Have used a few times and sprayed with Pam when everything was cold after each use.

I seasoned a second time with Crisco, this time putting them back in the grill and letting hot coals melt the crisco down (Couldn't take the smell in the house).

Last night I still had some issues with the steaks sticking and there are some obvious "dry" spots on the grates.

I have a "fun week" (week off) between jobs so I will be spending some time seasoning the grates that week.

Current plan is to wipe everything down with Crisco and put the grates over hot coals (temp in the 225-250 range) and let it burn down until completely cold, then repeat.

I have not brushed the grates once - I've been trying to leave the gunk on so as not to scrub off any 'seasoning.'

Any other ideas?

Grilled corn on the cob and bacon wrapped steaks last night. Everything turned aout spot on, BUT I'm having a helluva time getting my cast iron grates seasoned.

Before I used them I rubbed them down with crisco and threw them in the oven. When they were done I sprayed them down with Pam and put them on the grill. Have used a few times and sprayed with Pam when everything was cold after each use.

I seasoned a second time with Crisco, this time putting them back in the grill and letting hot coals melt the crisco down (Couldn't take the smell in the house).

Last night I still had some issues with the steaks sticking and there are some obvious "dry" spots on the grates.

I have a "fun week" (week off) between jobs so I will be spending some time seasoning the grates that week.

Current plan is to wipe everything down with Crisco and put the grates over hot coals (temp in the 225-250 range) and let it burn down until completely cold, then repeat.

I have not brushed the grates once - I've been trying to leave the gunk on so as not to scrub off any 'seasoning.'

Any other ideas?

Do you have a Weber?

Back