• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I was going to suggest calling their 800#, the customer service is fantastic and all of the folks really know about taking care of the grills. This is from the FAQ section of the weber website:

To maintain the wonderful searing/grilling performance of your cast iron grates or griddle, as well as their longevity, some special care is required. As with any cast iron cooking tool, proper seasoning is most important.

First time use: Before using a cast iron grate or griddle, wash it thoroughly with a mild dishwashing liquid to remove the protective wax coating applied for shipping. Rinse with hot water and dry completely with a soft cloth or paper towel. NEVER ALLOW TO DRAIN DRY, OR WASH IN A DISHWASHER. Now season the grates/griddle to prevent rust and sticking.

Seasoning: A solid vegetable shortening is recommended for the initial seasoning. Spread a thin coating of solid vegetable shortening over the entire surface, including all corners, with a paper towel. Do not use salted fats such as butter or margarine. Proceed as follows:

Gas grills: Preheat grill for 15 minutes, place grates/griddle in grill. Turn burners to Medium-Off-Medium with lid closed. Allow grill to heat grates/griddle for 1 to 1½ hours. Turn all burners to OFF, and leave cooking grates/griddle in grill until they are cool.

Charcoal: Arrange prepared coals for Indirect Method. Place cooking grate/griddle in grill; place lid on grill. Allow grill to heat grate/griddle for 1 to 1½ hours. Close vents to extinguish coals, leaving grate/griddle in grill until it is cool.

Your cast iron cooking grates/griddle are now ready to use. To prevent rusting, they should be re-seasoned frequently, particularly when new. If rust occurs, clean with a steel brush. Reapply vegetable shortening and heat as indicated above.

Maintenance (every time you grill): Dont do a burn-off after you grill, but rather leave the cooking residues on the grates/griddle to keep a protective coating on the cast iron. Then do a burn-off just before you grill. Brush off charred residues with a steel brush rather than a brass brush.

Notes: The more you use your cast iron grates/griddle, the easier the maintenance will be. If you store your grates/griddle for extended periods of time, grease very lightly with vegetable shortening, then wipe dry with a paper towel. Store in a dry place. If rust appears, it is an indication that the grates/griddle have not been seasoned properly or enough. Or, if the burn-off method has been used after grilling, the seasoning has also been burned off. You must begin the seasoning process again, after brushing all rust away with a steel wire brush.

I've had trouble with my cast iron grates sticking on my Weber as well. I found out I was getting the grill too hot prior to scraping it. Its like all of the seasoning burned out of it. I started cutting down the temp a few hundred degrees so that it would still loosen the remnants, but wouldnt get hot enough to burn off all of the grease. Its worked really well since then. I also spray the grate down with some Pam or EVOO prior to grilling. The added benefit of doing that is it helps add some grill marks on the food.

OSD / TSY - I appreciate the input. It sounds like what I've already done and plan to do, is the recommended course of action.

Just need to keep on grillin' and seasoning to build up that nice layer.

We use a lot of oils, marinades and seasonings when we grill. Every month or so, I have to get my gas grill as hot as possible, until everything inside catches on fire. I open the lid, turn off and remove the gas and let everything burn off. Then I go forward with reseasoning the grate. Otherwise, I end up with a caked on mess.

Tonight we went with stuffed pork cutlets.

Ingr. 1) Minced garlic
Ingr. 2) Salted and peppered boneless pork cutlets
Ingr. 3) Basil leaves
Ingr. 4) Feta cheese
Ingr. 5) Deli-sliced ham

Step 1) Pound the pork cutlets flat
Step 2) Salt and pepper the flat cutlets for 20 minutes
Step 3) Wrap all ingredients inside the cutlets, securing with binder's twine.
Step 4) Grill over indirect heat for 25 minutes.

Served with baked sweet potato fries.

Damn Jhmd can you come grill at my place? I grilled burgers tonight and had it with fresh watermelon and broccoli salad and I thought that was big time. Your grill menus sound awesome.

Damn Jhmd can you come grill at my place? I grilled burgers tonight and had it with fresh watermelon and broccoli salad and I thought that was big time. Your grill menus sound awesome.

Get the Webber Guide to Grilling, or whatever it is called. $20 bones at Lowe's (hardware). Life changing.

My favorite might be the grilled peaches (with brown sugar) folded into vanilla ice cream while they were hot. I can't push that on other ppl hard enough.

Tonight was lean ground turkey (91/9) burgers with homemade guac.

Ingred 1) 1.2 lbs lean ground turkey
Ingred 2) 1 tbsp sage (powdered)
Ingred 3) 1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
Ingred 4) 1 tbsp onion powder
Ingred 5) 1 tbsp garlic powder
Ingred 6) one small ripe avocado
Ingred 7) one small lemon
Ingreg 8) 1 tbsp low fat s/c (strained with a fork)
Ingred 9) 1 tbsp salsa (strained with a fork)
Ingred 10) Sliced cheese of choice (I like pepperjack)
Ingred 11) Sliced onions for grilling (optional)
Ingred 12) Sheet of lettuce of choice per burger (optional; I prefer Boston Bibb)

Important: Requires a four hour marinade window.

FOR THE BURGER MEAT:
Step 1) Combine Ingreds 1-5 in a bowl, blend with hands, but reserving half of worchestershire sauce.
Step 2) Once the combination is fully combined, drizzle reserved worchestershire sauce over the top and cover and refridgerate to marinate; 4hours.
Step 3) After four hours of marinade in fridge, form into patties and grill (Covered, of course) over medium direct heat for eight minutes, turning halfway through. Placed sliced onions over indirect heat.
Step 4) After eight minutes, switch the onions for the burgers (trading indrect and direct heat placement)
Step 5) Top with cheese and place opened buns faced down.

FOR THE GUAC
Step 1) Zest and juice one lemon into small bowl
Step 2) Diced and fork-blend the avocado with lemon (salt if desired)
Step 3) Fold in strained s/c and salsa

Final Step: Make a burger and eat it.

Serve with starch of choice: I did diced red skinned potatoes with garlic and rosemary infused olive oil (20 minutes in baking dish over 375 heat in oven). Season with black pepper and Lawry's (if you're feeling folksy).

Got a 15lb beef loin from Costco yesterday and we are doing cut to order New York Strips for Mothers Day. Something about being able to ask the person exactly how big they want the steak to be and cutting it then and there is so bauce. One of my favorite things to do grilling wise.

Got a 15lb beef loin from Costco yesterday and we are doing cut to order New York Strips for Mothers Day. Something about being able to ask the person exactly how big they want the steak to be and cutting it then and there is so bauce. One of my favorite things to do grilling wise.

That's quality work.

When did you go? I was at Costco yesterday morning. I'll probably never buy meat for smoking on the day of ever again. It made for a lot of running around before cooking.

It is not outside the realm of possibilities that the posters of this thread could schedule a get-together pre/aprez a home game to exchange identities and ideas. I've learned a lot from you guys already. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

I was reading an interview with Tom Collichio in Esquire and he said that he only roasts steaks because "call them what you want but 'grill marks' just mean you burned it".

Man. Fuck that guy.

I was reading an interview with Tom Collichio in Esquire and he said that he only roasts steaks because "call them what you want but 'grill marks' just mean you burned it".

Man. Fuck that guy.

Correct. This guy pees sitting down.

Last edited:
It is not outside the realm of possibilities that the posters of this thread could schedule a get-together pre/aprez a home game to exchange identities and ideas. I've learned a lot from you guys already. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

We actually do that already unofficially. Most of us who post on here and the smoking food thread are the ones who show up 4-6 hours prior to every home game for tailgates. We tend to visit and socialize quite a bit with each other when there are only a dozen or so people in the lots. Its a great time to bounce ideas off each other.

We actually do that already unofficially. Most of us who post on here and the smoking food thread are the ones who show up 4-6 hours prior to every home game for tailgates. We tend to visit and socialize quite a bit with each other when there are only a dozen or so people in the lots. Its a great time to bounce ideas off each other.

and drink Bloody Mary's/Maker' & Ginger and trailer stand

Back