• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I've done whole hogs and whole goats, but never dreamed of doing a whole cow. I could fit a calf on the smoker, but that would be the limit. I know they were doing it just to say they'd done it, but it seems like a waste IMO. The logistics of correctly cooking something that massive is mind boggling.

That being said, you better believe we're doing a whole hot for Notre Dame.

Going to do stuffed pork chops tonight with grilled veggies.

I'm going to mash feta cheese with some fresh herbs as the stuffing. I've gotten into using deli mustard as a rub with pork. I like the way it carmelizes on the pork and adds a nice crust.

Also, I'm looking for a good recipe for 'cowboy/ranch' beans.

We actually do that already unofficially. Most of us who post on here and the smoking food thread are the ones who show up 4-6 hours prior to every home game for tailgates. We tend to drink heavily and loudly babble at each other sweet drunken ramblings when there are only a dozen or so people in the lots. Its a great time to bounce ideas off each other.

FIFY

I've been on a ranch potato salad kick lately. I usually prefer warm potato salad, but cold ranch potato salad is so good. Roly Poly here in Winston make one.

I don't think I know what this is. Please continue....

Its a potato salad that uses red potatos, ranch dressing and a little mayo. This recipe calls for it out of the bottle, but I prefer to make my own ranch from the mix because I like it a little thicker. Add enough mayo to make the ranch a little thicker than normal. Its amazing.

http://ourcraftsnthings.com/2009/04/ranch-potato-salad/

potatosalad1.jpg

It really is amazing. It has potatos, ranch and bacon. What's not to love? I grew up on sweet yellow potato salad, but occasionally I like to mix it up with this one.

@tsy...can you do small metal work repairs? I noticed on Sunday that the bottom plate of my Weber Steam-N-Chips box has started to deteriorate. I called Weber yesterday and that part has been discontinued :( We use the smoker box quite a bit and I was hoping that you may be able to repair for whatever fee is requred?

So I typed this response, but didnt hit reply and deleted it. I thought I had responded an hour ago. My apologies.

If it is steel then I can weld it free of charge, but I dont have an aluminum welder. If its aluminum then you'd have to take it to a welding shop.

So I typed this response, but didnt hit reply and deleted it. I thought I had responded an hour ago. My apologies.

If it is steel then I can weld it free of charge, but I dont have an aluminum welder. If its aluminum then you'd have to take it to a welding shop.

I assume that you can look at it and tell me what to do? Can you suggest a welding shop?

If you hold a magnet up to it and it sticks, then its steel and I can weld it. If not, then its aluminum. You should be able to take it to any local welding shop in Kvegas and it would only be a couple bucks to fix. I'm not familiar with any places over there, and the ones I know about near me wouldnt be worth driving that far for a simple fix.

I have no idea what else jmhd200 has done to deserve negative rep, but he should be at least one green box for this thread alone.

I have no idea what else jmhd200 has done to deserve negative rep, but he should be at least one green box for this thread alone.

Unpopular opinions on the politics board, I think.

I agree with you on his grilling skillz though.

Last night's dinner:

Grilled Stuffed Pork Chops
-Stuffing was fresh basil and oregano from my garden, garlic, a little evoo, salt, peper, blue cheese, feta cheese, parmesan cheese and a little bit of bacon.

Grilled Asparagas
-Tossed in evoo and balsamic vinegar, grilled.

Spinach & Strawberry Salad (not grilled)
Rice (not grilled, obviously)

Was DELICIOUS

I used my grill pan tonight for some steaks. Roasted asparagus. It was delicious.

Back