• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
Big fan of outdoor grilling, and the season is upon us. Let's start a thread to discuss grilling recipes, tips and practices.

Unlike on the Politics Board, I'm on both sides of the gas/charcoal issue; I'm packing both and each is earmarked for a specific purpose. I use the gas grill for vegetables and outdoor pizzas (one day the balance sheet will support an outdoor, wood-fired, brick pizza oven; until then, the Blue Rhino is in the house) and a basic Weber kettle grill for most full cuts of meat.

Tonight I did a basic sirloin (with Montreal steak rub), and red potatoes tossed in EVOO, parsley and black pepper and sliced longitudinally in 1/8th inch cuts and grilled over an open flame. The key to grilling is a clean surface, and that's especially true with fish and vegetables. Put the finishing moves on Mrs. 2000 by taking pear halves and filling the excavated pits with brown sugar. The heat put a nice gentle char on the flesh and melted the sugar into syrup, which I promptly mixed into vanilla ice cream. Game. Set. Match.

Throw down your grilling A game on this thread. What you got?

I am thinking about buying a weber kettle and making a brat tub. Otherwise I am stuck with using my Brinkman POS smoker as a grill.

Did a New York strip tonight in honor of opening day for the Sox. Weather sucked balls but it was a beautiful piece of beef. Love my local butcher. Garlic mashed potatoes, nice salad and a Sam Noble Pils made it feel like spring, even with snow on the ground.

I am thinking about buying a weber kettle and making a brat tub. Otherwise I am stuck with using my Brinkman POS smoker as a grill.

I made the move to the Weber kettle grill after reading the Weber Guide to Grilling book. That is a must-read for any self-respecting grillmaster. I hardly ever use the gas grill for meat any more. A charcoal starter, newspaper and a lighter is all you need. You won't regret it. Incredible pork shoulders and beer can chicken.

I made the move to the Weber kettle grill after reading the Weber Guide to Grilling book. That is a must-read for any self-respecting grillmaster. I hardly ever use the gas grill for meat any more. A charcoal starter, newspaper and a lighter is all you need. You won't regret it. Incredible pork shoulders and beer can chicken.

I already have a smoker for BUTTS. MAN DO I LOVE BUTTS. But it's a crappy Brinkman. I need to spend the big bucks on a Weber Smokey Mountain and a 18.5" kettle.

ETA: The smoker has two grates so I can also put the pan on the lower grate and use it for grilling. Works well, but it's still a crappy brinkman. I need to splash the cash

Last edited:
I already have a smoker for BUTTS. MAN DO I LOVE BUTTS. But it's a crappy Brinkman. I need to spend the big bucks on a Weber Smokey Mountain and a 18.5" kettle.

ETA: The smoker has two grates so I can also put the pan on the lower grate and use it for grilling. Works well, but it's still a crappy brinkman. I need to splash the cash

Homebuild. I can show you the way......

Yeah. You can't beat the Weber kettle grill, but for less money and a little time, you can build your own smoker to fit your personal preferences. I've got an excel spreadsheet that tells you how many air holes vs vent holes you need and the sizes.

Grilled pizza tonight. Basic stand mixer and a pizza spatula were the only extraordinary tools needed. The actual pizza itself couldn't have been easier.

I used roasted garlic as a feature ingredient. Just take peeled garlic cloves (I'd use at least ten to make it worth your while), rinse and wrap in 6 square inches of aluminum foil, toss with EVOO and salt, and give the wrapped package 15 minutes of direct medium heat. Pull off with tongs.

Bout to make some Cedar Plank Salmon.

I use Magic Seafood Seasoning mixed with melted butter, fresh lemon juice combine all that and put it on top of the salmon and onto the grill of a 12 hour soaked cedar plank (that's been on the grill for 3-4 minutes) Medium-low heat for about 20 ish minutes, depending on outside temp.

Made with grilled corn on the cob, and a Salad my wife made. Fish melts in your mouth.

Bout to make some Cedar Plank Salmon.

I use Magic Seafood Seasoning mixed with melted butter, fresh lemon juice combine all that and put it on top of the salmon and onto the grill of a 12 hour soaked cedar plank (that's been on the grill for 3-4 minutes) Medium-low heat for about 20 ish minutes, depending on outside temp.

Made with grilled corn on the cob, and a Salad my wife made. Fish melts in your mouth.

That sounds pretty freaking good.

Tonight I marinated three chicken breasts (on sale at HT through tomorrow, BTW) in orange juice and red wine vinegar. Six hours in the fridge, then onto direct heat to get grill marks, and then off over indirect heat for ten minutes.

One for him, one for her, and one for grilled chicken salad for lunch tomorrow.

I have had a weber for about 10 years now and it only cooks better as time goes on.

Weber Performer FTW.

I've smoked and grilled about everything on it and it's usually been very good.

My dad has a Traeger he's trying to unload on me. Thinking of giving it a whirl for ribs, etc. Anyone used one?

Traegers are not bad at all. IMO, it's what you make of it. Not my style, but to each their own. There are some great cooks who rave about them.

As lazy/cheap as this sounds, I use Costco ground beef without spices. You can't beat the flavor/juicyness/texture of good meat. IMO, the majority of the flavor comes from the heat source anyways.

Grilled pizza tonight. Basic stand mixer and a pizza spatula were the only extraordinary tools needed. The actual pizza itself couldn't have been easier.

I used roasted garlic as a feature ingredient. Just take peeled garlic cloves (I'd use at least ten to make it worth your while), rinse and wrap in 6 square inches of aluminum foil, toss with EVOO and salt, and give the wrapped package 15 minutes of direct medium heat. Pull off with tongs.

I am a big fan of grilled pizza. Do you make your own crust or purchase it from the grocery?

A Fantastic Simple Seafood dish I cook often with Salsa

Just grill Salmon, Salt and Pepper

Then Grill
Sliced Onions Halved
Green Pepper Halved
Tomatoes Halved
Mango Halved
Jalepeno Halved

Then after you have grilled veggies, dice them up, combine with some chopped Cilantro, Chilli Pepper, and put over salmon

Threw down some thick cut pork chops and asparagus.

I rubbed a thin layer of deli-style spicy mustard on the pork and applied a spice rub. The mustard carmalized into a nice crust.

The asparagus was marinated in balsamic vinegar, skewered, and grilled about 2 minutes on each side.

I can't wait for big, fresh peaches to be in season. My go-to summer dessert is a grilled peach - cut the peach in half, remove the pit. Generously sprinkle brown suger on the open side of the peach and grill until carmalized/grill marks appear. Put a nice dollop of bourbon-whipped cream in the center when you serve them. Money.

In related news, just picked up a bigger grill last night. Went with a barrel style smoker-gril. Cast iron grates, chimeny, adjustable charcoal rack. Nothing fancy, but will be a good tool for learning the art of smoking!

Weber fan here...my Weber Genesis 1000 will have its 14th birthday this August...I will never own another brand of grill...even though rarely needed, their customer service is some of the best that I have ever had, on par with that of Tiffany and Nordstrom. The only problem is that I want a larger Weber that is connected to natural gas...just need to find the $$.

Back