• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Times Have You Been High?

In my morning AMA email.

Leading the News
Occasional marijuana use may not damage lungs.
The Washington Post (1/11, Huget) "The Checkup" blog reports, "Smoking marijuana doesn't appear to do the kind of damage to people's lungs as smoking tobacco does," according to a study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. "But that may have to do more with the way marijuana is typically smoked than with anything inherent in the substance itself."
"The paper...adds to some previous research that has also failed to find a link between low or moderate exposure to marijuana smoke and lung damage," the Los Angeles Times (1/11, Roan) "Booster Shots" blog adds. "Researchers led by Mark Pletcher at UC San Francisco studied 5,115 men and women in four US cities regarding their current and lifetime exposure to tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke and their lung function." The results revealed "that lung function declined with increased exposure to tobacco smoke" but "that same pattern was not seen with marijuana smoke."
The AP (1/11, Tanner) reports, "Unlike cigarette smokers, marijuana users tend to breathe in deeply when they inhale a joint, which some researchers think might strengthen lung tissue." Study co-author Stefan Kertesz noted that "the common lung function tests used in the study require the same kind of deep breathing that marijuana smokers are used to, so their good test results might partly reflect lots of practice." He also said that "the research should not be viewed as a green light to spark up."
ABC News (1/11, Conley) reports on its website, "Measuring participants' lung function for air flow and lung volume five times throughout the study period, the researchers found that cigarette smokers saw lung function worsen throughout the 20-year period, but marijuana smokers did not." Additionally, "only the heaviest pot smokers (more than 20 joints per month) showed decreased lung function throughout the study."
According to the website of CBS News (1/11), "The findings echo results in some smaller studies that showed while marijuana contains some of the same toxic chemicals as tobacco, it does not carry the same risks for lung disease." Though "it's not clear why that is so...it's possible that the main active ingredient in marijuana, a chemical known as THC, makes the difference." THC "also helps fight inflammation and may counteract the effects of more irritating chemicals in the drug," said Dr. Donald Tashkin, a doctor who was not involved in the study.
Bloomberg News (1/11, Lopatto) reports, "The study, which followed more than 5,000 people for 20 years, is unusual in marijuana research because it involved the general population." Among the participants, "more than half of the people in the study reported current marijuana smoking, tobacco smoking, or both at one or more examinations. Tobacco smokers had eight to nine cigarettes a day at the peak of their use, versus marijuana smokers reporting about two or three episodes in 30 days."
Medscape (1/11, Lowry) reports the study is based on data collected for the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study, "funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)," which "is a longitudinal cohort study involving centers in Oakland, California, Birmingham, Alabama, Chicago, Illinois, and Minneapolis, Minnesota." The study started in "March 1985" and gathered data "on a variety of heart disease and other risk factors, including lifestyle, alcohol and drug use, diet and exercise, and behavioral and psychological variables."
Despite these findings, "Kertesz warned that the findings shouldn't be misinterpreted to suggest that smoking pot is good for your health: 'It would be very incorrect to look at this study and say, 'Wow, if I smoke marijuana, that's going to improve my lung health,' he told The JAMA Report," MedPage Today (1/11, Fiore) reports.
In addition, "although they didn't find any long-term breathing problems associated with occasional pot smoking, it has been linked to some short-term irritation," WebMD (1/11, Goodman) explains. Jeanette M. Tetrault, MD, an assistant professor of medicine at Yale School of Medicine who was not involved in the study, said, "The jury is still out about smoking marijuana, especially with heavy smokers and long-term chronic use. There are a lot of studies that are conflicting."
Still, the San Francisco Chronicle (1/11, Allday) says that "the results - and the fact that they were published in a major medical journal - should reassure doctors and patients who are tempted to use marijuana for treatment, primarily to ease pain and nausea, said Dr. Mark Pletcher, a UCSF epidemiologist and lead author of the study." Also covering the story are Reuters (1/11, Pittman) and HealthDay (1/11, Dotinga).

Did you know you can take a vacation to Antarctica? Seriously, there are like cruise ships that go there a couple of months out of the year and you can hang out and go kayaking and camping and shit. AWESOME. I'm a big fan of outdoorsy trips, but it had literally never occurred to me that you could go to Antarctica. Only catch -- I looked it up and it costs like $15,000 per person to get on one of those boats. That doesn't include the cost to fly to Argentina or Australia to get to Antarctica in the first place. Pricey. But seriously, if I were a rich actor or professional athlete or something, I would definitely go to Antarctica. I wonder if the rich and the famous actually ARE going to Antarctica and we just don't know it. I've never read anything about Brad Pitt going to Antarctica for vacation. Wouldn't it be kind of cool if you decided to go to Antarctica, and Tom Hanks was on the boat with you? A couple of weeks trip to Antarctica together, and I bet me and Tom Hanks would be buddies. Or Timothy Olyphant. That dude is cool, so I'd be down for being his friend. Only thing is that he'd probably try to bang my wife. May just want to stick to Tom Hanks.

But seriously, Antarctica. Check this shit out. Duuuuuude:

a27.jpg

I know some peeps that been. You can get stuck there depending on the weather. One dude was stuck two weeks waiting for the weather to clear after his trip was supposed to be over. Only comms were sat phone shared by the group. Squeef don't grow there either. Bummer man.

It would be pretty cool if they had a cruise ship that went to Antarctica, only as soon as you got there, all the passengers would get strong, and the crew would just like cruise around near glaciers and penguins at night with the moon glistening off the Antarctica snow and ice while blasting this over some loudspeakers:

The only problem is that for it to be profitable for the boat owners, you'd need like a bunch of pretty dedicated stoners who were also really rich. So that could be tough. I really like this idea though. As in, I think it's the best idea I've ever had. It would be cool if Seth Rogen was on your reefer boat.

Look at this:

antarctica_big_018.jpg

do you remember specific events from your past in great detail?

i saw randy livingston play a high school game at the holiday festival tournament in raleigh, nc in december 1992 (i think it was 1992, may have been 1991, i'm not looking it up). i remember exactly where i sat, and who i went with. i remember the flow of the game. i remember his team played against a team from detroit, and bobby crawford was on that team (went on to michigan).

every other player on livingston's team was white, and pretty fucking bad. the team from detroit was not white. livingston's team destroyed them. he's the best high school player i've ever seen in person (saw rodney, penny hardaway, billy owens)

i can't remember simple things though. like if i have to get more than 2 things at harris teeter i have to make a note.

Had a friend who just did a long tour of Central and South America, and they took at boat to Antarctica as part of that.

Last edited:
it is times like these i wish i still had a gaming system.

how many paparazzi do you see in antarctica? thats why theyre all going there, dudes.

Back