• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Times Have You Been High?

Has anyone ever smoked Salvia? That bro on the latest Tosh.0 laughs uncontrollably and then jumps out the window. Seems a little overboard.

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/video-breakdown---salvia-freak-out

i most certainly was not of the capacity to write a letter. i laid on a bed laughing for 5 minutes, then basically slipped into a dream world for about 15 minutes where i had to complete a series of tasks along a track of what can best be described as "heat rainbows", and then i yelled at my friends for talking so loud when they were whispering on a couch about 10 feet away.

then i felt out of it for the rest of the night. you definitely need a full day for that.

Same with daddy long legs....very poisonous, but don't have a way of getting the poison from them, into you...

so go ahead, keep pulling on their legs.

Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

What about their fangs being too short to penetrate human skin? Pholcids do indeed have short fangs, which in arachnological terms is called "uncate" because they have a secondary tooth which meets the fang like the way the two grabbing parts of a pair of tongs come together. Brown recluse spiders similarly have uncate fang structure and they obviously are able to bite humans. There may be a difference in the musculature that houses the fang such that recluses have stronger muscles for penetration because they are hunting spiders needing to subdue prey whereas pholcid spiders are able to wrap their prey and don't need as strong a musculature. So, again, the myth states as fact something about which there is no scientific basis.

In summary

For true daddy-long-legs, the opilionids, the myth is certainly false, and for the daddy-long-legs spiders it is certainly not based on known facts.

My dad used to eat them (Daddy Long Legs) all the time to impress me as a kid, and never came to any harm from it, fwiw.

Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

What about their fangs being too short to penetrate human skin? Pholcids do indeed have short fangs, which in arachnological terms is called "uncate" because they have a secondary tooth which meets the fang like the way the two grabbing parts of a pair of tongs come together. Brown recluse spiders similarly have uncate fang structure and they obviously are able to bite humans. There may be a difference in the musculature that houses the fang such that recluses have stronger muscles for penetration because they are hunting spiders needing to subdue prey whereas pholcid spiders are able to wrap their prey and don't need as strong a musculature. So, again, the myth states as fact something about which there is no scientific basis.

In summary

For true daddy-long-legs, the opilionids, the myth is certainly false, and for the daddy-long-legs spiders it is certainly not based on known facts.

My dad used to eat them (Daddy Long Legs) all the time to impress me as a kid, and never came to any harm from it, fwiw.

So what are you saying? : )

That they're poisonous, but just can't get the poison into humans, is a total myth.

Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

Yeah man, but they're DOGS, not people. Silly. Quit trying to pull one over on us just because we're blazed.

:laugh:

Ok, real answer, it's black that's rubbed off from licking their noses all the time.

I always assumed it was a particularly tasty cat turd they decided to let marinate on their tongue for a while, thus causing color variation like when kids have a colorful lolipop or popsicle. The discoloration is more permanent because cat turds, dead rodent bits, and assorted rotting entrails that dogs enjoy are not commercially produced for human consumption or regulated by the FDA. No?

They need to have an HD tv channel that is, like, just a really bitchin' aquarium. With colorful fish. So awesome.

Back