• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Cancel Cypress.

Absolutely not
IMO, Cypress is the best restaurant in Charleston
I've been there probably 20 times and never had anything less than a great meal.
I would cancel Hank's (never been there, but I've hear mixed reviews...i.e. some love, some hate) or Husk (the most over-rated restaurant I've been too....wasn't terrible, but not worth the fuss)

...WTF with all the hate on Cypress

Last edited:
I'm dying to go to that place. Have you been yet and does it live up to the hype?

I haven't heard anyone who really likes it (anyone who I respect their opinions of food anyway)....which means 3 different couples say that it hasn't been good
All of them independently have mentioned it would be a good place for drinks and oysters at the bar though

The lobster bisque and the lobster roll are both excellent there. Pretty sure everything at The Ordinary is though, but a couple of people were jizzing while eating their oyster sliders.

In another favorable plug for Charleston’s fine-dining scene, The Ordinary has landed on a list of the 70 best new restaurants in the world.

Conde Nast Traveler asked food critics to submit their favorite newcomers from eight cities and geographic areas for its newly released “Hot Tables” rankings for 2013.

Earlier this year, the oyster and seafood hall became a James Beard Foundation Awards finalist nominee for best new restaurant. The Ordinary also was identified by GQ magazine as one of the 12 most outstanding restaurants in the country.

Last edited:
Absolutely not
I've been there probably 20 times and never had anything less than a great meal.
I would cancel Hank's (never been there, but I've hear mixed reviews...i.e. some love, some hate) or Husk (the most over-rated restaurant I've been too....wasn't terrible, but not worth the fuss)

Not hating on Cypress, but they explicitly stated they wanted a seafood meal. Hank's, which I happen to think highly of, will give them more seafood choices.

Absolutely not

Cypress is overrated in my opinion and nowhere near the best restaurant in Charleston. It's a good restaurant, but I went for a rehearsal dinner there once and the food was average at best.

Cypress is overrated in my opinion and nowhere near the best restaurant in Charleston. It's a good restaurant, but I went for a rehearsal dinner there once and the food was average at best.

Fair enough, I can't say I've had a better meal in Charleston except for maybe one meal at Halls (been a few times to Halls, all were good, but one really stood out) and I've been just about everywhere except maybe a few of the newish places on upper king.

Absolutely not

Also the only 2 there was a choice between was cypress and fig due to availability. So we chose fig. I think we will be happy. Also planning to hit Poe's and need a brunch rec...

Fair enough, I can't say I've had a better meal in Charleston except for maybe one meal at Halls (been a few times to Halls, all were good, but one really stood out) and I've been just about everywhere except maybe a few of the newish places on upper king.

Sounds good, the toughest part about this town is figuring out where to eat since there are so many good places. Personally, I would say my favorite places are Tristan,FIG, and Grill 25. Also, a hidden gem for dinner and brunch that is very reasonable is Mercury. Some of the best shrimp and grits I have had in Charleston and supposedly the duck hash is insane.

Also the only 2 there was a choice between was cypress and fig due to availability. So we chose fig. I think we will be happy. Also planning to hit Poe's and need a brunch rec...

Hit Queen Street Grocery. Get a crepe or breakfast sammy. You won't be disappointed. Tell the owner, Rob, you're a Deac.

Cypress has a great happy hour on Mondays. $5 burgers and they're great!

And +1 for Queen Street Grocery. Get a crepe.

What's the appropriate dress for Hank's, Fig and Husk? Shorts and a golf shirt acceptable, or do I need to go with pants? I'm not looking to impress anyone, but don't want to be dressed too casually.

What's the appropriate dress for Hank's, Fig and Husk? Shorts and a golf shirt acceptable, or do I need to go with pants? I'm not looking to impress anyone, but don't want to be dressed too casually.

Personally, I wouldn't wear shorts.

At least wear pants. It's summer though, so tourists, mostly from Ohio, will wear anything to those places. A polo and pants at minimum.

At least wear pants. It's summer though, so tourists, mostly from Ohio, will wear anything to those places. A polo and pants at minimum.

Speaking of tourists from Ohio, I've seen an usually high number of cargo jorts around town this year.

If you're going during the week, you'll be mingling with the work crowd, so use some common sense.

Ended up eating at Cypress this past Friday and thought it was pretty solid. Still wouldn't call it my favorite restaurant in Charleston though.

On another note, I may have found the worst new restaurant in Charleston. It is called the Fish House and is out at Patriot's Point. While the restaurant is aesthetically pleasing and they have an amazing rooftop that overlooks the Yorktown where we watched fireworks, the food and service were horrendous.

They have only been open about a month and may be working out the kinks, but I had New England clam chowder that came out cold and then was reheated and was still barely warm. It was also tasted worse than the Campbell's Soup version. Another person at our table got a she crab soup and she had the same issue and it literally looked like baby food.

In terms of entrees, I got scallops that were average at best and cost $27 for 4 small scallops. The only thing that someone got that looked halfway decent at our table was chicken and waffles and who in the hell serves that on a dinner menu at a place that is supposedly a seafood restaurant.

As for the service, our waitress was fine and actually ended up taking several things off the bill, but at the prices they were charging the level of service was greatly lacking. They were auctioning off food and drinks the whole night, people's drinks were forgotten about on several occasions and plates were dropped at other tables on numerous occasions. The reason for this is primarily because one server would start stacking 8 plates rather than asking for a team to clear the table.

I will never go back to this place for dinner after this unless they drastically change the quality of the food and actually hold themselves to a higher service standard. You have been warned.

Sounds horrible. July 4th is probably a bad time to review a restaurant, but that's not really an excuse.

We took an impromptu trip back to the beach this weekend, so tagged along on my parents' reservations to 82 Queen and High Thyme, which are two places I would basically never make a reservation. 82 Queen was fine, but only fine, and filled with tourists. My parents were supposed to meet us there but couldn't get off the islands because of the draw bridge at Sullivan's Island being stuck or something. So we would up eating at a place we basically never would have. The kids liked it okay though.

High Thyme is a restaurant on Sullivan's Island and it's probably the most mediocre place in the world. This is my second or third time eating there and I will save money next time by sitting at home and eating a bowl of Cheerios. Nothing jumps off the menu at you and you're stuck paying $30 for an entree.

The main problem is that we hadn't planned to go down to the beach this weekend so we didn't have any reservations. But my parents, who had planned to visit for a month, don't make reservations more than a few days in advance. I would have been fine winging it at Taco Boy and Poe's, but was understandably obligated to eat with the group.

Back