• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Sounds horrible. July 4th is probably a bad time to review a restaurant, but that's not really an excuse.

We took an impromptu trip back to the beach this weekend, so tagged along on my parents' reservations to 82 Queen and High Thyme, which are two places I would basically never make a reservation. 82 Queen was fine, but only fine, and filled with tourists. My parents were supposed to meet us there but couldn't get off the islands because of the draw bridge at Sullivan's Island being stuck or something. So we would up eating at a place we basically never would have. The kids liked it okay though.

High Thyme is a restaurant on Sullivan's Island and it's probably the most mediocre place in the world. This is my second or third time eating there and I will save money next time by sitting at home and eating a bowl of Cheerios. Nothing jumps off the menu at you and you're stuck paying $30 for an entree.

The main problem is that we hadn't planned to go down to the beach this weekend so we didn't have any reservations. But my parents, who had planned to visit for a month, don't make reservations more than a few days in advance. I would have been fine winging it at Taco Boy and Poe's, but was understandably obligated to eat with the group.

I want to try that new place Salt down there that replaced Station 22. Menu looks really good and will hopefully be a nice substitute until Atlanticville opens back up.

I want to try that new place Salt down there that replaced Station 22. Menu looks really good and will hopefully be a nice substitute until Atlanticville opens back up.

Atlanticville is not coming back. Going to be some Italian place.

DirtySouthDeacon has been to Salt and would probably give it a mixed review. Definitely not kid friendly or cheap and still putting things together.

DirtySouthDeacon has been to Salt and would probably give it a mixed review. Definitely not kid friendly or cheap and still putting things together.

Damn't I had not heard that as I thought they were just rennovating. That is a shame as it was probably my favorite seafood place in Charleston. Not surprised by that on Salt as it has the look of a fine dining downtown restaurant so probably not going to be kid friendly. May give it a shot in a few months.

Thanks to everyone for the recs on here.

We did Poe's for lunch Thursday and Hank's for dinner. Friday was Queen Street Grocery for breakfast, an afternoon snack at Cupcake and dinner at Husk. Saturday we hit Poogan's Porch for brunch and FIG for dinner. Got to Glazed on Sunday morning on the way out of town.

Husk and FIG were fantastic. My meal at FIG was just a little better, but I think the atmosphere at Husk was great. They had pwersonalized our menu to say happy anniversary and brought us cider to start, which were just nice touches. My meal at Hank's wasn't quite as good as other scallop dishes I'd had, and some of the dishes at nearby tables looked a little uninspired. Poe's was an awesome spot for lunch.

We did see someone in a CP3 shirt and WF hat at the market Saturday mid-morning.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Hank's. I know I pushed it hard, but I've always had great experiences there with the food and service.

Glad to hear you enjoyed all the rest of your meals.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Hank's. I know I pushed it hard, but I've always had great experiences there with the food and service.

Glad to hear you enjoyed all the rest of your meals.

No worries at all. Wife really liked the salad and mussels she had, and it was actually the most interesting dinner based on some of the characters around us. I think it was just the ginger lime coriander sauce in my scallop dish that I didn't personally enjoy. Probably would have liked a different dish better.

We did Poe's for lunch Thursday and Hank's for dinner. Friday was Queen Street Grocery for breakfast, an afternoon snack at Cupcake and dinner at Husk. Saturday we hit Poogan's Porch for brunch and FIG for dinner. Got to Glazed on Sunday morning on the way out of town.

Husk and FIG were fantastic. My meal at FIG was just a little better, but I think the atmosphere at Husk was great. They had pwersonalized our menu to say happy anniversary and brought us cider to start, which were just nice touches. My meal at Hank's wasn't quite as good as other scallop dishes I'd had, and some of the dishes at nearby tables looked a little uninspired. Poe's was an awesome spot for lunch.

We did see someone in a CP3 shirt and WF hat at the market Saturday mid-morning.

My group was also at the market Saturday mid-morning! We were hard to miss though in matching navy and pink t-shirts :)

We went to Salt three weeks ago. Was not impressed. Not sure what they are trying to be. It was mostly bar but mixed with an attempt at fine dining. The waitress kept saying "Chef" instead of the chef or our chef. Bugged me. Also, it is on Sullivans, so people will have kids. And there was literally no kids menu. "Chef" can accommodate kids with a smaller portion of any entree. Great, so you get fancy fish with sauce or bistro steak for kids. Not a huge issue with older kids, but my 14 month old literally had nothing to eat. Why cant you buy a loaf of bread and some cheese for fuck sake? Not going back anytime soon.

I had also hear Atlanticville is not coming back as Atlanticville, but something similar with similar ownership.

Poogan's porch was probably my low point meal for the trip. My poached eggs were over and the hollandaise was bland. But the alligator was good as was the mimosa and the biscuits, so even the low meal was still pretty good.

Poogan's porch was probably my low point meal for the trip. My poached eggs were over and the hollandaise was bland. But the alligator was good as was the mimosa and the biscuits, so even the low meal was still pretty good.

Surprised by that. Poogan's Porch used to be one of the better restaurants in Charleston and then when downhill for a while, but has recently come back. Have been several times in the past for months for both lunch and brunch and had good meals both times. Agree that the alligator is good and they have the best biscuits in town. Like you said though, good if that is your low meal. Where else did you eat?

I went to FIG as well
Pretty good I thought, had black sea bass or something like that. The menu (which I understand changes pretty frequently) didn't have anything that was going to blow my mind, but I definitely had a pretty good meal none the less, wasn't crazy about the ambiance though...or maybe it was just too hot (minor detail though). My g/f had a mustard/flounder dish that she raved about...i tried it and it was certainly the best flounder i'd ever had (that being said, light/white fish has a bit of a ceiling IMO)

Last edited:
I went to FIG as well
Pretty good I thought, had black sea bass or something like that. The menu (which I understand changes pretty frequently) didn't have anything that was going to blow my mind, but I definitely had a pretty good meal none the less, wasn't crazy about the ambiance though...or maybe it was just too hot (minor detail though). My g/f had a mustard/flounder dish that she raved about...i tried it and it was certainly the best flounder i'd ever had (that being said, I light/white fish has a bit of a ceiling IMO)

i had the flounder as well. Matt had the fish stew. My tomato tarte tatin was AWESOME though and so was the chocolate hazelnut budino I had for dessert. Best meal of the weekend was the pheasant at husk though...mmm.

Surprised by that. Poogan's Porch used to be one of the better restaurants in Charleston and then when downhill for a while, but has recently come back. Have been several times in the past for months for both lunch and brunch and had good meals both times. Agree that the alligator is good and they have the best biscuits in town. Like you said though, good if that is your low meal. Where else did you eat?
Matt making answering this question easy:

We did Poe's for lunch Thursday and Hank's for dinner. Friday was Queen Street Grocery for breakfast, an afternoon snack at Cupcake and dinner at Husk. Saturday we hit Poogan's Porch for brunch and FIG for dinner. Got to Glaze on Sunday morning on the way out of town.

I had the pulled pork Benedict and it was awesome, even though one of my two eggs was over. That pork was some of the best pulled pork I've ever tasted. The biscuits were great too. I think it was just the overdone eggs that messed things up. Probably should have just sent it back, but we didn't.

So my mom and sister were blown away with the Charleston recs I gave them off this thread and now are expecting more of the same for Myrtle Beach next week. Can anyone give any help? Bowens Island and Butcher and Bee were favorites in Charleston if that helps at all

So my mom and sister were blown away with the Charleston recs I gave them off this thread and now are expecting more of the same for Myrtle Beach next week. Can anyone give any help? Bowens Island and Butcher and Bee were favorites in Charleston if that helps at all

Can you be a little more specific in regards to Myrtle Beach i.e. location?

Edit: Every rec will likely pale in comparison, however, I'm sure you'll find some recs.

Can you be a little more specific in regards to Myrtle Beach i.e. location?

Edit: Every rec will likely pale in comparison, however, I'm sure you'll find some recs.

in the 60's on N. Ocean... so Northern MB

i live in mb. what are you looking for?

You are better off killing yourself than vacationing in Myrtle Beach.

damn waccamaw kids, so unappreciative

Back