• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

So my mom and sister were blown away with the Charleston recs I gave them off this thread and now are expecting more of the same for Myrtle Beach next week. Can anyone give any help? Bowens Island and Butcher and Bee were favorites in Charleston if that helps at all

You poor dumb bastard
images

anything you'd recommend, seafood, burgers whatever.

okay, well up there Sea Captain's House is pretty solid for seafood. i like river city cafe for burgers. new york prime is probably best for steak. collector's cafe and aspen grille are alright. market common has a mixture of semi-pricey chains (p.f. changs, gordon biersch, etc) and local stuff.

murrells inlet restaurants that i'd recommend are Bovine's, Dave's Dockside, and Divine Fish House.

the best upscale restaurants all happen to be in pawleys, especially Bistro 217 and Louis' at Sanford's.

All of that said, I'm actually headed to Charleston soon and excited to try Halls.

Reactions: BDL
okay, well up there Sea Captain's House is pretty solid for seafood. i like river city cafe for burgers. new york prime is probably best for steak. collector's cafe and aspen grille are alright. market common has a mixture of semi-pricey chains (p.f. changs, gordon biersch, etc) and local stuff.

murrells inlet restaurants that i'd recommend are Bovine's, Dave's Dockside, and Divine Fish House.

the best upscale restaurants all happen to be in pawleys, especially Bistro 217 and Louis' at Sanford's.

All of that said, I'm actually headed to Charleston soon and excited to try Halls.

I second Sea Captain's House.

If you're looking for a good bar with live music, Hot Fish Club in Murrell's Inlet is great too. Don't think they serve food though.

Any suggestions for charleston dinner with kids?

The Wreck or the Boulevard Dinner in Mt. Pleasant or Sullivan's on Sullivan's Island are pretty kid-friendly in my opinion. I don't have kids though, so I'm speculating.

We went to hominy grill with the kids and it was delicious. Very mid range pricing for dinner too - it wasn't ridiculous to take the kids there.

Just got back from Charleston visiting a buddy. We went To Trattoria Lucca on a Monday night for a "family-style" supper. Chef's selections of food. It was awesome!

Just got back from Charleston visiting a buddy. We went To Trattoria Lucca on a Monday night for a "family-style" supper. Chef's selections of food. It was awesome!

Lucca's somewhat of a hidden gem, given the location, but I think that's changing rapidly. They put out excellent dishes, though the dining room can get loud at times. I'm very much looking forward to going on Saturday night.

Lucca's somewhat of a hidden gem, given the location, but I think that's changing rapidly. They put out excellent dishes, though the dining room can get loud at times. I'm very much looking forward to going on Saturday night.

Agree completely with that. Have only been there once, but it is fantastic. Make sure to get the cauliflower appetizer dish.

We took an impromptu trip back to the beach this weekend, so tagged along on my parents' reservations to 82 Queen and High Thyme, which are two places I would basically never make a reservation. 82 Queen was fine, but only fine, and filled with tourists. My parents were supposed to meet us there but couldn't get off the islands because of the draw bridge at Sullivan's Island being stuck or something. So we would up eating at a place we basically never would have. The kids liked it okay though.

I'm heading down next week with a long time friend and his college friends. Apparently we already have reservations at 82 Queen. I'm skeptical of the place based on it not appearing in this thread until page 6. Anything there that stands out?

I'm probably being a jerk about 82 Queen. The food there is good and the setting is great. The place is just a little dated. They have a fried quail dish that I like and it's hard to beat fresh fish at just about any restaurant there. It's just more a fall-back restaurant than a go-to. If you get there early enough, you can go to the bar at Husk and have a couple of drinks beforehand and pat yourself on the back for saving a small amount of money by eating at 82 Queen instead of Husk.

I'm probably being a jerk about 82 Queen. The food there is good and the setting is great. The place is just a little dated. They have a fried quail dish that I like and it's hard to beat fresh fish at just about any restaurant there. It's just more a fall-back restaurant than a go-to. If you get there early enough, you can go to the bar at Husk and have a couple of drinks beforehand and pat yourself on the back for saving a small amount of money by eating at 82 Queen instead of Husk.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

so, are the ordinary and xiao bao biscuit worthy of their "best new restaurant" noms?

so, are the ordinary and xiao bao biscuit worthy of their "best new restaurant" noms?

Have not been to either, but have heard both live up to the hype. I know one of the owners of Xiao Bao Biscuit.

Back