• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

I like Closed For Business downtown for lunch or for drinking anytime. I like La Tabella on Harbor View (off of Folly Road), which has a good little bar and good Italian, but you'll want to call for reservations.

Headed to Folly for 5 days next week. What are the places to hit in Charleston where the locals hang and not the tourists?

Folly is no problem as we'll hang at Taco Boy, Rita's, Bowens Island, etc. Probably go to Charleston once or twice but its been a while so help me out but keep me away from the tourists if possible.

Headed to Folly for 5 days next week. What are the places to hit in Charleston where the locals hang and not the tourists?

Folly is no problem as we'll hang at Taco Boy, Rita's, Bowens Island, etc. Probably go to Charleston once or twice but its been a while so help me out but keep me away from the tourists if possible.

Very few places where you won't run into tourists; you'd have to go way out of your way to do that.

Try Edmund's Oast or Leon's Chicken & Oysters if you're looking for some newer spots that may not be fully on the tourist radar already. Otherwise, most of the hot spots have already been covered in this thread.

If you are at Folly, you definitely need to go to Surf Bar. Best pain killer in town - sorry home team BBQ fans- and also has solid food and a cool, dog friendly atmosphere. In terms of other places on James Island and Charleston that tourists may not know about, check out Zia Tacqueria or the two that leftcoast recommended. Another place that I like that is relatively new is called the Craftsman Tap House.

Been hearing big things about Taco Boy

Been hearing big things about Taco Boy

don't get too excited.
I mean, it's better than your typical dog meat and $1.75 32oz XX Mexican place, but it's not going to blow you away. (which is to say it doesn't blow me away). I've been a half dozen times (the one on the peninsula) and it's always a zoo and typically I've had memorably shitty service

Last edited:
don't get too excited.
I mean, it's better than you're typical dog meat and $1.75 32oz XX Mexican place, but it's not going to blow you away. (which is to say it doesn't blow me away). I've been a half dozen times (the one on the peninsula) and it's always a zoo and typically I've had memorably shitty service at least a few times

This is a pretty accurate assessment, though I will add that the Margaritas there are pretty good and I think you get 2 for 1 Margaritas if you ride a bike there, which is one of the reasons I end up at Taco Boy once a quarter or so.

Went to Bowen's Island last night. Not much for service but man can they fry some seafood. Great dive.

Is Coast still good?

Is the food at the Belmont any good or is it just for drinking?

Last edited:
Is Coast still good?

Is the food at the Belmont any good or is it just for drinking?

Haven't been to Coast in a while but last time I was there it was still good. Belmont doesn't have much in the way of food - just meat / cheese plates, I think. They've been good every time I've had them. The homemade poptarts there are pretty money as well.

Ate tonight at Coda del Pesce on IOP

Very good. Had the chef's delivery. Very nice. Shocked that I could have a good meal at front beach but I highly recommend.

Hit up Obstinate Daughter on Sullivans Island last night at the former Atlanticville location. Great cocktails. Small plate type menu. Ricotta Gnocchi with short rib ragu was awesome.

Edmund's Oast is nominated as a best new restaurant nationally, but I haven't been there. Looks cool though. http://edmundsoast.com/

Also went back to The Ordinary on Wednesday for some oyster sliders.

Ate tonight at Coda del Pesce on IOP

Very good. Had the chef's delivery. Very nice. Shocked that I could have a good meal at front beach but I highly recommend.

Hit up Obstinate Daughter on Sullivans Island last night at the former Atlanticville location. Great cocktails. Small plate type menu. Ricotta Gnocchi with short rib ragu was awesome.

Edmund's Oast is nominated as a best new restaurant nationally, but I haven't been there. Looks cool though. http://edmundsoast.com/

In case you didn't know, Coda was opened by Ken Vedrinski of Trattoria Lucca, and Obstinate Daughters is by the Wild Olive crew.

excellent beer selection. no idea about the food.

okay, well up there Sea Captain's House is pretty solid for seafood. i like river city cafe for burgers. new york prime is probably best for steak. collector's cafe and aspen grille are alright. market common has a mixture of semi-pricey chains (p.f. changs, gordon biersch, etc) and local stuff.

murrells inlet restaurants that i'd recommend are Bovine's, Dave's Dockside, and Divine Fish House.

the best upscale restaurants all happen to be in pawleys, especially Bistro 217 and Louis' at Sanford's.

All of that said, I'm actually headed to Charleston soon and excited to try Halls.

Great burgers. Just had a Texas BBQ burger today. Good stuff.

Glad that I will be able to contribute to this thread on a consistent basis.

Went to The Grocery last night, right off of King St on Cannon. Excellent meal. Roasted duck, crispy (read: flash fried) eggplant, heirloom tomatoes with a goat cheese that had spinach in it, and a sweet corn ice cream for dessert. Decided to try the duck because I wasn't feeling the other meat options. Leaner meat than what I usually get, but excellent. It came with a Corn farrotto that was also excellent. Both produce options were delicious. The sweet corn ice cream was also good, tasted like captain crunch and it came with candied bacon which emphasized the contrast that they were trying to achieve.

For brunch, I just hit up Edmund's Oast. Beautiful space, excellent tap selection, and solid food. I had the pickled shrimp, which is one of their most popular items. It was great, but I think if I go to brunch again I will order the buttermilk fried chicken. They usually have a couple of beers brewed in-house, including one that tastes like PB&J, but they only had Breakfast at the Still on tap. Very good german dark ale that is much smoother than it's supposed 7.5% ABV. I can't wait to go for dinner!

Back