• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

I'll be in Charleston Thursday night. Where's a good place to watch the game. I believe it is on ESPNU.

Went to The Ordinary tonight and got a medley of apps and zerts. Simply put, these guys know their oysters. Really dug the Crispy Oysters + Beef Tartare, the BBQ Shrimp, and the Squid Salad. I could eat about 15 oyster sliders! The rolls for the sliders are made with coconut milk, giving them a sweet compliment to match the saltiness of the oysters. Really dug the rice pudding on the dessert side. I will be going back to get one of the tower platters for sure.

If I'm gonna scoot around for a day or two solo, where's a good place to stay? Not looking for anything too crazy/expensive, just something that'll give me the basics.

If I'm gonna scoot around for a day or two solo, where's a good place to stay? Not looking for anything too crazy/expensive, just something that'll give me the basics.

Stay downtown; it will give you access to the most bars/restaurants and scenic parts of historic Charleston. Since you're solo, check out the hostel.

make sure to be in bed by 9. the nightlife in charleston sucks.

I'd only be alone on like a Tuesday and Wednesday, bookending with a weekend in Austin and my buddy's wedding. I won't want to go crazy but what would the crowd be like during the week? I'd probably go to a couple nice restaurants solo at least.

I'd only be alone on like a Tuesday and Wednesday, bookending with a weekend in Austin and my buddy's wedding. I won't want to go crazy but what would the crowd be like during the week? I'd probably go to a couple nice restaurants solo at least.

Truth is, I have no fucking clue. I don't go out much during the week; if I had to guess there will be decent happy hour / dinner crowds, but not much life night to speak of (guessing, of course). Find brews - he will throw it down with you.

yeah probably only college kids and the real alcoholics go out on tues and weds

Then Upper King and a bunch of C of C babes are calling your name then. Either that or go get beach bar drunk on Sullivan's or hit Triangle in West Ashley and/or Mount Peasant. Well at least that was what was going on like 2-3 years ago.

When are you going again?

Last edited:
Early/mid November. Wedding 11/15

Braved the restaurant week crowds for dinner at High Cotton last night and really enjoyed the meal. The food quality was much closer to the normal menu than other places I've been to, so I was very pleased.

I checked out Halls Chophouse during restaurant week. I got #Palmad because all they had beef-wise on the RW menu was the Filet, but it was done excellently. The pepperjack corn skillet is a must get side for sure, and I have to say I preferred their take on mushrooms over their asparagus. I'm not sure why I prefer Halls over Grill 225, but I think it's because Grill 225 is so damn stuffy. The downstairs bar is also awesome and a great place to meet interesting people (read: rich cougars).

I also recently hit up Crave in Mt Pleasant. The Mac N' Cheese has been called "life changing" and "the best in the city", but to me it's still macaroni and friggin' cheese. Good stuff, but very rich. Their scallops, however, were awesome. They were huge and came with a fantastic lobster risotto. Worth checking out if you're on that side of the bridge.

I checked out Halls Chophouse during restaurant week. I got #Palmad because all they had beef-wise on the RW menu was the Filet, but it was done excellently. The pepperjack corn skillet is a must get side for sure, and I have to say I preferred their take on mushrooms over their asparagus. I'm not sure why I prefer Halls over Grill 225, but I think it's because Grill 225 is so damn stuffy. The downstairs bar is also awesome and a great place to meet interesting people (read: rich cougars).

I also recently hit up Crave in Mt Pleasant. The Mac N' Cheese has been called "life changing" and "the best in the city", but to me it's still macaroni and friggin' cheese. Good stuff, but very rich. Their scallops, however, were awesome. They were huge and came with a fantastic lobster risotto. Worth checking out if you're on that side of the bridge.

I've been to Hall's once. Someone else was gratuitously footing the bill and was feeling very, very generous. It was one of the top-5 best meals I've ever had. If you go again, I highly recommend the bacon steak appetizer and the rib-eye topped with gorgonzola cheese.

Back