• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Should be within the next week or so, according to Eater. Probably going to avoid it for a bit unless I can get in there at a weird time

Weird times!

giphy.gif

Thanks, all.

Too many options!

I would love to do some high end dining in Charleston, but not sure this trip will be the time for it since we've all put out a lot of money in other parts of the trip and may be so exhausted by Sunday night we couldn't appreciate it anyway.

Maybe we'll aim for brunch in Charleston proper on Saturday and do some sightseeing and then stick around IOP or Sullivan's on Sunday night.

I'll see what I can wrangle.

I live in Charleston, but looking for some advice on some of the newer places that have opened or are about to open. Have some buddies coming in town for a golf trip and want to do a nice dinner one night. My thought is to either do The Ordinary or Edmunds Oast as I haven't been to either for dinner and want to try both.

With that being said, I have heard mixed reviews about both and wanted to see if anyone has eaten at either and what their thoughts were. I am also open to other suggestions but feel like I have done FIG, Halls, Grill 225, Tristan (RIP), etc. and looking to try one of the newer hot spots.

I really like The Ordinary, but it's kind of a small plates place where you have to order a few times to get enough to eat and the bill adds up pretty quickly, especially if you get oysters. Now if they really want shellfish, go to The Ordinary.

I think The Macintosh would be a good place for a party of eight and it's a little closer to a couple of bars.

I haven't been to Edmunds Oast yet.

I live in Charleston, but looking for some advice on some of the newer places that have opened or are about to open. Have some buddies coming in town for a golf trip and want to do a nice dinner one night. My thought is to either do The Ordinary or Edmunds Oast as I haven't been to either for dinner and want to try both.

With that being said, I have heard mixed reviews about both and wanted to see if anyone has eaten at either and what their thoughts were. I am also open to other suggestions but feel like I have done FIG, Halls, Grill 225, Tristan (RIP), etc. and looking to try one of the newer hot spots.

The Ordinary is fantastic, but I agree with Biff's assessment; it's better for taking a date and getting a bunch of small plates to share.

I've been to Edmund's Oast a few times....the building is beautiful, the beer selection is amazing, and the food is very, very well executed. That being said, I felt like I was 'settling' for an entree when I ordered at Edmund's - nothing on the menu really jumped out at me (food was still very good though). I looked at the menu again just now and what they have posted is much better than when I went a couple of months ago.

I've had very good experiences with taking a group to Stars. You may be able to get one of the big tables that faces the kitchen which is kind of fun with a larger group.

Thanks for the feedback. I ate at Macintosh for the first time last Friday when my cousin came in town and it was really good. Portion size was a bit small, but great service and food. We have 5 of us so will look into Stars as well.

Someone told me an annual sales number for the Chick-fil-A on Hwy 17 in Mount Pleasant that was staggering. I've eaten there a couple of times and it was pretty busy, but dang.

Minero!

y yo quiero mucho Minero. Sean Brock has done it again, but this place is more casual than his other two restaurants. Nothing on the menu is above $10, and I went with 3 different types of tacos. Grilled Steak, Chorizo, and Grilled Pork with all sorts of different toppings. There's some southern influence in the place (the tortillas are made with 3 corns, including Anson Mills which is known for Grits), and the drink menu is cool. Great Margaritas. The Mexican Street Corn was solid, but a little blander than I expected it to be.

Brock's on a book tour, and I think I'm gonna get a ticket to his meet n' greet at McCrady's next week. Dude is great.

What's the cab/uber/public transportation situation like? I won't have a car so debating a rental if it's necessary

uber is like 5 bucks flat rate anywhere dt and easy to get one within 10 mins dt

uber is like 5 bucks flat rate anywhere dt and easy to get one within 10 mins dt

sweet, I'll figure it out. Thinking I'll stay downtown for the few days while I'm alone then stay in Mount Pleasant either near or at the hotel where there are blocks of rooms. Some of the airbnb properties available look nice though

Getting a cab out at the beach can be a pain in the ass though, so plan ahead.

sweet, I'll figure it out. Thinking I'll stay downtown for the few days while I'm alone then stay in Mount Pleasant either near or at the hotel where there are blocks of rooms. Some of the airbnb properties available look nice though

I don't think Uber has done much for Mt. Pleasant, so getting around MP could be a bit of a challenge if you're not close to the wedding site. As Biff said, plan ahead.

I don't think Uber has done much for Mt. Pleasant, so getting around MP could be a bit of a challenge if you're not close to the wedding site. As Biff said, plan ahead.

there's usually a ride out of mt p. takes 15 mins at most.

The Ordinary is fantastic, but I agree with Biff's assessment; it's better for taking a date and getting a bunch of small plates to share.

I've been to Edmund's Oast a few times....the building is beautiful, the beer selection is amazing, and the food is very, very well executed. That being said, I felt like I was 'settling' for an entree when I ordered at Edmund's - nothing on the menu really jumped out at me (food was still very good though). I looked at the menu again just now and what they have posted is much better than when I went a couple of months ago.

I've had very good experiences with taking a group to Stars. You may be able to get one of the big tables that faces the kitchen which is kind of fun with a larger group.

Decided to go to a Palmetto Society oyster roast Friday night and the Ocean Room out at Kiawah since that's where my friends are staying for their golf trip. Will still have to try Stars and some of the other restaurants for dinner at some point.

I'm the best man, so once that stuff starts I won't really have to worry about anything and will be quite busy

Back