• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

We had friends Uber from had no problems finding an Uber in Charleston or a little outside. And actually when I looked a couple times while on IOP there were Ubers less than 10 min away.

We had a blast down there this weekend. Didn't end up doing anything fancy meal wise though with everything going on.

Drove through the night Thursday, sunrise on the beach Friday, downtown walking around Friday afternoon, rehearsal low country boil in Mt. P, brunch Saturday at Acme, beach Saturday afternoon, wedding downtown and reception at Country Club of Charleston, Sunday lunch with cousins at Poe's, back to the beach for a few hours, dinner at Acme, driving home today. Hit up Windjammer for a bit Friday and Saturday nights.

I think I've had enough grits for a while now ;-)

Meeting Sean Brock this Sunday. I think I'm gonna watch Mind of a Chef. Hopefully I can shoot the shit with him for a little bit.

My IOP/Charleston experience with uber is that it is easy to get a ride from town back to the beach. Not so much the other way. At least during the summer season, the wait was over an hour going and no problem getting back. Which makes sense.

It'll be mid-November and the only thing I'd be doing is just strolling up and down the beach, so I'll probably skip it and just get my walking fix downtown. Thanks for the info. I'm told the bridesmaids* got a beach house so hopefully I'll just see it Sunday morning HEY-O.

*(I think they're all taken)

Yeah, you should be able to see it from the beach. Might be a hike though.

Minero!

y yo quiero mucho Minero. Sean Brock has done it again, but this place is more casual than his other two restaurants. Nothing on the menu is above $10, and I went with 3 different types of tacos. Grilled Steak, Chorizo, and Grilled Pork with all sorts of different toppings. There's some southern influence in the place (the tortillas are made with 3 corns, including Anson Mills which is known for Grits), and the drink menu is cool. Great Margaritas. The Mexican Street Corn was solid, but a little blander than I expected it to be.

Brock's on a book tour, and I think I'm gonna get a ticket to his meet n' greet at McCrady's next week. Dude is great.

Minero was awesome; went last night after the Brock book signing at McCrady's. We waited about 15 minutes for a table, service was prompt. Started with guacamole and chips; the chips are seasoned and have some heat, the guac was pretty straight forward, tasted very fresh. I ordered the chicken, steak, and al pastor tacos, and the wife ordered chilaquiles. We each had a margarita too. Everything was very, very good. The chicken and al pastor taco really shined, the steak taco was good, but I will try other menu items before going back to the steak taco. The chilaquiles my wife ordered were delicious; definitely enough for 2 people to share. Interior is great; small and cozy, about what you'd expect from Sean Brock at this point.

On a side note, I've only flipped through the cookbook a little bit; beautiful photography, but no comment yet on whether or not any of the recipes can actually be executed in a home kitchen.

yes, some of the recipes look quite difficult. I think i will be able to pull off things like the Pimento Cheese quite easily. If I manage to do a decent job on any (or set my apartment on fire) I'll report back.

Halls got named the 4th best restaurant in the country by Trip Advisor. They ranked Circa 1886 #12

Bar hopped on Tuesday with Brew's and went to Closed For Business, Boone's, the rooftop at Stars, and Prohibition. They all had different unique vibes, feels like forever.

On Wednesday I just kind of walked around and took everything in. Nothing too special for lunch due to time constraints, just grabbed a sandwich at Groucho's to troll my friends from home who went to South Carolina and missed it. Also went to the aquarium, which was great because there was NOBODY there. At times I was the only person in entire sections. I'm an aquarium/zoo dork so it was a great experience, took everything in at my own leisure. A good activity if you need a break from all the shopping and dining. That night my friend and the bride arrived and we met another couple outside at Tattooed Moose. I really liked my cuban, solid pub food, and a side of duck fat fries never hurts. Closed out with post-dinner drinks at The Recovery Room since my AirBNB was basically directly behind it...$2 PBRs can't be beat. If you need a room in Charleston, I can recommend that place was clean, an easy walk down King Street, and almost perfect for my needs. For a classier experience, we dipped into the Church Street Inn because a family friend was there (and we needed a place to store the wedding dress and veil for a couple hours) and it was ridiculously nice.

Thursday and Friday was just a bunch of various wedding errands, so nothing to write home about until the rehearsal dinner on Friday at McCrady's. And oh boy was it great. I had to give a speech so I took it easy, but the Cab that I was pacing myself with was very good, it's a shame I can't remember the name. The upstairs rooms are really, really nice, had a good amount of room for 80 people with room to socialize beforehand during the cocktail hour. I loved all of the hors d'ourves, but some people didn't like the shrimp because of the fennel (at least I'm assuming that's what they didn't like). Big winners were the fried mac and cheese bites and mini pimiento sandwiches. All of the food for the meal looked excellent, the butternut squash soup got rave reviews (apparently I made a mistake with the salad, but it was still awesome) and I couldn't resist ordering the Wagyu steak. They said it was medium rare, but it looked more rare to me and oh my god it was delicious.

The actual wedding was at Boone Hall and absolutely beautiful, but you guys probably don't care about those details. During down times it was nice to be able to sneak off and get some exploring done without paying for admission though!

Yesterday we walked around a more and poked our heads into some shops. I almost bought some stuff in the market for Christmas presents, but decided I needed the cash in my wallet for transportation later. I did enjoy looking at all the cool stuff and under different circumstances I could have done some damage. The groom's brother's girlfriend is a chef, so the store we found was a highlight - can't recall the name. Dipped into City Lights Coffee for a funky coffee break and ate at Brown Dog Deli - a huge hit. I kept it simple but some of the orders looked absurd. But by then I was exhausted and just wanted to go home.

If you need some caterer recs, the people I worked with at the wedding itself were great (except I was told that they burnt the crab cakes on the grill, probably due to unfamiliarity) and one of the bridesmaids is the beverage director at McCrady's and Minero (and her boyfriend works there too) so yeah, go there.

Bar hopped on Tuesday with Brew's and went to Closed For Business, Boone's, the rooftop at Stars, and Prohibition. They all had different unique vibes, feels like forever.

On Wednesday I just kind of walked around and took everything in. Nothing too special for lunch due to time constraints, just grabbed a sandwich at Groucho's to troll my friends from home who went to South Carolina and missed it. Also went to the aquarium, which was great because there was NOBODY there. At times I was the only person in entire sections. I'm an aquarium/zoo dork so it was a great experience, took everything in at my own leisure. A good activity if you need a break from all the shopping and dining. That night my friend and the bride arrived and we met another couple outside at Tattooed Moose. I really liked my cuban, solid pub food, and a side of duck fat fries never hurts. Closed out with post-dinner drinks at The Recovery Room since my AirBNB was basically directly behind it...$2 PBRs can't be beat. If you need a room in Charleston, I can recommend that place was clean, an easy walk down King Street, and almost perfect for my needs. For a classier experience, we dipped into the Church Street Inn because a family friend was there (and we needed a place to store the wedding dress and veil for a couple hours) and it was ridiculously nice.

Thursday and Friday was just a bunch of various wedding errands, so nothing to write home about until the rehearsal dinner on Friday at McCrady's. And oh boy was it great. I had to give a speech so I took it easy, but the Cab that I was pacing myself with was very good, it's a shame I can't remember the name. The upstairs rooms are really, really nice, had a good amount of room for 80 people with room to socialize beforehand during the cocktail hour. I loved all of the hors d'ourves, but some people didn't like the shrimp because of the fennel (at least I'm assuming that's what they didn't like). Big winners were the fried mac and cheese bites and mini pimiento sandwiches. All of the food for the meal looked excellent, the butternut squash soup got rave reviews (apparently I made a mistake with the salad, but it was still awesome) and I couldn't resist ordering the Wagyu steak. They said it was medium rare, but it looked more rare to me and oh my god it was delicious.

The actual wedding was at Boone Hall and absolutely beautiful, but you guys probably don't care about those details. During down times it was nice to be able to sneak off and get some exploring done without paying for admission though!

Yesterday we walked around a more and poked our heads into some shops. I almost bought some stuff in the market for Christmas presents, but decided I needed the cash in my wallet for transportation later. I did enjoy looking at all the cool stuff and under different circumstances I could have done some damage. The groom's brother's girlfriend is a chef, so the store we found was a highlight - can't recall the name. Dipped into City Lights Coffee for a funky coffee break and ate at Brown Dog Deli - a huge hit. I kept it simple but some of the orders looked absurd. But by then I was exhausted and just wanted to go home.

If you need some caterer recs, the people I worked with at the wedding itself were great (except I was told that they burnt the crab cakes on the grill, probably due to unfamiliarity) and one of the bridesmaids is the beverage director at McCrady's and Minero (and her boyfriend works there too) so yeah, go there.

You hit up some solid spots. Tattooed Moose is one of my favorite places, but you missed out there by not ordering the Lucky No. 1 or Duck Club.

Yeah I was eyeing the Duck Club but decided to keep it cheaper (not like $4 is a back breaker but :noidea: )

oh I guess I should mention that we had pre- and post-wedding drinks at Red's Ice House which was a cool little spot. I couldn't explore the menu since I was in my tux and all so I went for the least messy thing possible but some of the other food looked alright and the drinks were aflowin'

I think I mentioned it in this thread, but I ate at Red's once and my waitress looked like a younger Faith Hill with bigger boobs. I didn't ever want to leave.

I think I mentioned it in this thread, but I ate at Red's once and my waitress looked like a younger Faith Hill with bigger boobs. I didn't ever want to leave.

I'm pretty sure she was still there working behind the bar and she was working our tables there too. Very nice to us.

Yeah I was eyeing the Duck Club but decided to keep it cheaper (not like $4 is a back breaker but :noidea: )

oh I guess I should mention that we had pre- and post-wedding drinks at Red's Ice House which was a cool little spot. I couldn't explore the menu since I was in my tux and all so I went for the least messy thing possible but some of the other food looked alright and the drinks were aflowin'

Reds is a fucking dump; you were wise to stay away from the food.

The chicken fingers were pretty good, I had to eat something :noidea:

Ate at Obstinate Daughter for the first time this past weekend. Had a great meal at the bar and I literally want to order everything on the menu. The lowcountry shrimp roll is amazing and when I go back, I want to try to veal sweetbreads, octopus, and red snapper at some point. Very reasonable as well as went with a friend and we just split the tab and for 2 beers each and two entrees it was about $30 a piece after tip.

At Leon's Chicken and Oysters, I recommend both the Chicken and the Oysters. Seriously though, don't pass up on either raw or chargrilled oysters there, and their fried chicken is amazing. It's a little spicy (they put hot sauce into the skin), but it's damn good.

The Americano in Mount Pleasant is a new hotspot. It's jammed every night right now, but it's pretty awesome. Get one of the cuban sandwiches (original or variation), the cuban rice, and one of their cocktails. I really liked the Garden Variety Margarita, which tasted like a superfood smoothie!

Last edited:
Finally got to try some of the signature beers of Edmund's Oast. Their PB&J is aptly named, and they have a chocolate coffee banana beer that is also awesome (it will give you a hell of a buzz at 8% ABV). I hit it up during restaurant week and got the whipped ricotta :)drool:) and lamb meatballs. If you go there, order some of the cornbread. They give you an obnoxious amount of honey butter to eat with it.

Going to a Littorai Wine dinner at McCrady's tonight. Expecting one hell of a time.

Back