• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Husk is the answer. so fucking good. fucking fried chicken skins w hot sauce. Also Hall's has some of the best service I have ever seen, but steak is steak. I have been on a Poogan's Porch kick lately as well, but it is straight up good southern.

Fig is legit, but not my favorite. Snob is also solid if not a tad touristy.

Husk is the answer. so fucking good. fucking fried chicken skins w hot sauce. Also Hall's has some of the best service I have ever seen, but steak is steak. I have been on a Poogan's Porch kick lately as well, but it is straight up good southern.

Fig is legit, but not my favorite. Snob is also solid if not a tad touristy.

I got the pig ear lettuce wraps last time I went as an app. Holy shit, so surprisingly good.

They let LSU fans live in Chucktown?

That's just terrible. That wouldn't be allowed if I was still around.

Magnolia's

/endthread

Decent, but used to be better. Depends on what you want to spend, but if you want excellent food and don't care about spending $75+ per person then check out Grill 225, Tristan, FIG, or Husk. Tristan is the best place that no one knows about and is in my opinion the best most consistent all around food in Charleston. FIG and Husk are both great and more recognized. I used to work at Grill 225 and am biased, but it is the best steak and service in town and the portion size is larger than both Oak and Halls Chophouse. Plus at Halls you have to deal with the overbearing redhead that is the owners son who won't leave your table alone.

If you are looking for something still great but a little more affordable, I would check out Hank's, Carolina's, Virginia's on King, Atlanticville, and the Boathouse.

For just some cool spots with very affordable and fantastic food check out Poe's, Jestine's Kitchen, Tattooed Moose, Mustard Seed, Ser Met's, Zia Tacqueria, Taco Boy, or Home Team BBQ.

Club Trifecta for drinks after dinner.

If you are looking for something still great but a little more affordable, I would check out Hank's, Carolina's, Virginia's on King, Atlanticville, and the Boathouse.

:thumbsup:

Stumbled onto Hank's a few weeks after it opened in '99 and have been going ever since. It has never disappointed.

Peninsula Grill.

They have two things they do really well: Anything with Grits and Filets. I'm a steak dude and they have one of my favorites.

Grill 225.

$$$ as well, but good.

Many good suggestions so far. Also consider:

Social - good scene, reasonably priced food, lots of wine.
The Macintosh - newer restaurant, but outstanding food.
Circa 1886 - Some of the best restaurant service I've had in Charleston.
Il Cortile del Rey - Good Italian, reasonably price menu.

For drinks, I like the Cocktail Club, the Belmont, and the bar at Hall's.

Just so you know, restaurant week runs through the 22nd, so if you don't already have reservations at some of these places you might be SOL.

I'm going to Cypress and Oak Steakhouse this weekend, if you don't have reservations you're going to be eating early or late. I made my reservations on Sunday or Monday (for two) and it was either before 6pm or 8:45 or later. (at both places for both friday and saturday night)
I spend a weekend in charleston at least every quarter (free place to stay) and have been to a lot of the restaurants downtown. They are all good, you can't stay open in Charleston if you aren't good. However, Cypress is probably my favorite restaurant (not just in charleston but anywhere). I've never been to oak steakhouse, but i've heard good things....we'll see.

I'm going to Cypress and Oak Steakhouse this weekend, if you don't have reservations you're going to be eating early or late. I made my reservations on Sunday or Monday (for two) and it was either before 6pm or 8:45 or later. (at both places for both friday and saturday night)
I spend a weekend in charleston at least every quarter (free place to stay) and have been to a lot of the restaurants downtown. They are all good, you can't stay open in Charleston if you aren't good. However, Cypress is probably my favorite restaurant (not just in charleston but anywhere). I've never been to oak steakhouse, but i've heard good things....we'll see.

Oak has gone through a couple of different Chefs over the last couple of years. Most recently they brought on Jeremiah Bacon which has to be a good thing. I haven't been to Oak either, but Carolina's (when he was in charge there) and his new place the Macintosh are/were GREAT.

If you can afford it/get reservations at this point go to Husk fur sure.

Five Loaves, Sermet's Corner, Oku has good sushi (happy hour half price rolls from 5-7 on MWF). For brunch I'd go to Hominy Grill. Toast and Virginia's also have pretty good brunches (and I think bottomless Mimosas).

Those are some of my favorites.

If you wanna make it out to Sullivan's then Poe's, of course.

On point, except Hominy is overrated IMO. I'd rather have a huge meal at Sweetwater Cafe (the one of James Island is much better than the one downtown and cheaper, too).

We grubbed. I pretty much didn't need to eat for a week after leaving.

Taco Boy and Husk are also great suggestions.

Also check out a Kicken Chicken if you're in the mood for something more low key. Its a local chain which has pretty good sandwiches and wings, as well as decent drink specials. I recommmend the Peacemaker or the Ultimate Big Deal

YES, POSREP. I've easily eaten 100 of those in my life.

Haha, I like the Magnolias/Cypress/Blossom family of restaurants a lot. Just don't think they are the very best Chucktown has to offer. I usually go to 1 of them every 2-3 trips down there.

Magnolia's is nice if you're in the front dining room. If they try to stick you in the back ask for another table. If they won't oblige, just leave. Food-wise, it's pretty good, but there are lots of better options within a stone's throw.

I got the pig ear lettuce wraps last time I went as an app. Holy shit, so surprisingly good.

The best pig ear lettuce wraps I've ever had.

We were waiting for our table there a couple of months ago and some douchebag walks in with his friends and makes sure to tell the hostess that he's from New York and wanted to make sure that everything was perfect for his table.

Many good suggestions so far. Also consider:

Social - good scene, reasonably priced food, lots of wine.
The Macintosh - newer restaurant, but outstanding food.
Circa 1886 - Some of the best restaurant service I've had in Charleston.
Il Cortile del Rey - Good Italian, reasonably price menu.

For drinks, I like the Cocktail Club, the Belmont, and the bar at Hall's.

Just so you know, restaurant week runs through the 22nd, so if you don't already have reservations at some of these places you might be SOL.

Circa was soo good the time I went there, but also very $$$$ and I feel like it's one of the few places in Chucktown you actually have to wear a tie to dinner.

The best pig ear lettuce wraps I've ever had.

We were waiting for our table there a couple of months ago and some douchebag walks in with his friends and makes sure to tell the hostess that he's from New York and wanted to make sure that everything was perfect for his table.

Haha,yeah I had no idea what to expect with those, but they ended up being awesome. They had a wagyu beef entree on the menu last time I went too and it was fantastic.

:laugh: at the NY douchebag.

Back