• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Decent, but used to be better. Depends on what you want to spend, but if you want excellent food and don't care about spending $75+ per person then check out Grill 225, Tristan, FIG, or Husk. Tristan is the best place that no one knows about and is in my opinion the best most consistent all around food in Charleston. FIG and Husk are both great and more recognized. I used to work at Grill 225 and am biased, but it is the best steak and service in town and the portion size is larger than both Oak and Halls Chophouse. Plus at Halls you have to deal with the overbearing redhead that is the owners son who won't leave your table alone.

If you are looking for something still great but a little more affordable, I would check out Hank's, Carolina's, Virginia's on King, Atlanticville, and the Boathouse.

For just some cool spots with very affordable and fantastic food check out Poe's, Jestine's Kitchen, Tattooed Moose, Mustard Seed, Ser Met's, Zia Tacqueria, Taco Boy, or Home Team BBQ.

Just went to Grill 225 the other day. I don't know how they do it but they made brussel sprouts taste like candy.

Circa was soo good the time I went there, but also very $$$$ and I feel like it's one of the few places in Chucktown you actually have to wear a tie to dinner.

I don't think you need to wear a tie, but I would at least wear a jacket. The price is comparable to other suggestions in this thread.

I don't think you need to wear a tie, but I would at least wear a jacket. The price is comparable to other suggestions in this thread.

F that, it's Charleston. I'm not wearing a sport coat.

Funny story about Social...

Right after I moved to Chucktown I went to Happy Hour there with some friends. Anyways I got up to piss and positioned myself at a urinal. About thirty seconds later I look over my shoulder to see a dude standing literally one foot behind me, staring over my shoulder. My immediate reaction is to yell "What the fuck dude", which caused the random 40-something year old man to say "sorrrrrrrrrry" and run out of the bathroom, then restaurant.

So yeah, keep your head on a swivel when you're in the Social bathroom.

I ate at this place called Cru Cafe that I thought was really good.

I was the only person in the bathroom with two other urinals. Dude was creeping on my balls.

You should consider it. Especially if you don't want to look like a tourist.

None of the locals I know are wearing jackets around town. Guess we all look like tourists. I gave up the overdressing thing halfway through football season my freshmen year when I ditched the tie. I hate putting on a dress shirt every morning, much less a jacket.

Last edited:
Besides, until I retire to Sullivan's, I am just a damn tourist, unfortunately. :tear:

Went last year for a couple of days so I only have a couple of resturants to comment on, but all were awesome.

Husk was really good for southern food with all local ingredients but was pretty expensive. For appetizers we had pig eat lettuce wraps and deep fried chicken skins dipped in honey and hot sauce. Soo good. And the fast that the butter they had on the table was straight fatback was pretty awesome. But if anything, the bourbon bar they have next door is pretty neat as well and worth checking out. It was featured in Garden and Gun a while back.

Really enjoyed Fulton Five if you want a small Italian place that was pretty reasonable and really good.

Had brunch at SNoB and Virginia's on King and both had great shrimp and grits.

So reservations are impossible to come by at the good places. Went with 9:15 reservations both nights at Hanks and Magnolias. Lady friend made reservations at 7:00 at Peninsula and Fleet Landing (any good). Girls get what they want much easier than guys.

So reservations are impossible to come by at the good places. Went with 9:15 reservations both nights at Hanks and Magnolias. Lady friend made reservations at 7:00 at Peninsula and Fleet Landing (any good). Girls get what they want much easier than guys.

Fleet Landing's decent. Peninsula should be pretty solid; heard good things, but never been.

Fleet Landing's decent. Peninsula should be pretty solid; heard good things, but never been.

So if we're gonna eat late one night, Hank's or Magnolia's then? I also may try to pull the family friend card at FIG and see if she can hook me up.

Back