• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

I don't think Middleton Place would be a very convenient place to stay, but of you're into old plantation houses on the river it's top notch. Tours shouldn't take much more than a couple of hours. I don't know much about the inn, but I suspect they have a lot of wedding parties there.

Agree with HP here...should be a cool place to stay, but you're a good distance from all the action. Not a bad thing necessarily; could allow you to spend the whole weekend in pound town.

Agree with HP here...should be a cool place to stay, but you're a good distance from all the action. Not a bad thing necessarily; could allow you to spend the whole weekend in pound town.

Yea that's what I figured. Thanks for the responses guys. Last part sounds right up my ally.

Wife is checking out The McIntosh tonight on a girls weekend. Should be spectacular.

http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-new-restaurants-2012?click=main_sr#slide-15

The Macintosh, Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston is teeming with exciting chefs —like Mike Lata at Fig, Frank Lee at Slightly North of Broad, Robert Stehling of Hominy Grill, and Sean Brock of Husk — who have made their historic city a culinary destination. Jeremiah Bacon (great name for a chef, it must be said) adds mightily to the city's bragging rights. Upstairs at the Macintosh, there's a loud lounge scene, but downstairs there's a long black-brick dining room where Charlestonians and tourists alike flock to see why Bacon is one of the most-talked-about chefs in the South right now. In his methodology, Bacon focuses on one main ingredient on the plate, then gives it a benediction of beautiful, intensely reduced sauce and accompaniments — ricotta gnudi cuddled with nubbins of stone-crab meat and tomatoes is a shining example. In the way rich, salty pork belly absorbs hot-and-sour soup shot through with kimchi, shiitakes, and bok choy, you see and taste his skill.

479B King Street; 843-789-4299; themacintoshcharleston.com

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-new-restaurants-2012#ixzz2B6uzBMTg

Wife is checking out The McIntosh tonight on a girls weekend. Should be spectacular.

http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-new-restaurants-2012?click=main_sr#slide-15

The Macintosh is fucking awesome; great food coming out of the kitchen there and the restaurant itself is really cool. I'm surprised Carter's Kitchen made the list - my wife and I were there for brunch 3 weeks ago and had a bad experience - terrible service, food was severely under seasoned, and the waitress just wasn't that knowledgeable about the menu. It was very disappointing and surprising considering Chef Carter's resume.

Has anyone tried Butcher and Bee? It's near my old house, but I've never been. Is it just lunch? I like the idea of BYOB. I might give it a run this weekend.

Has anyone tried Butcher and Bee? It's near my old house, but I've never been. Is it just lunch? I like the idea of BYOB. I might give it a run this weekend.

I love B&B. It's lunch, late night (11pm - 3am) on weekends, and Sunday brunch. The menu is fairly small most days, but they are killing it. The pop up dinners can be a lot of fun and the BYOB is nice. It's a very short bike ride from the current house.

I think the wife and I are going to do a long weekend in Charleston this spring for our anniversary, and I'm already making notes on the restaurants mentioned here.

I would guess that the general plan for our trip is going to be mostly beach/relaxing during the days and nice restaurants and a few drinks in the evenings. Better to stay downtown on Meeting Street as opposed to someplace like the Charleston Harbor Resort?

Hitting up Husk on Sunday....hopefully it'll be as good as advertised seeing as how we had to get a reservation for two almost two months ago.

I think the wife and I are going to do a long weekend in Charleston this spring for our anniversary, and I'm already making notes on the restaurants mentioned here.

I would guess that the general plan for our trip is going to be mostly beach/relaxing during the days and nice restaurants and a few drinks in the evenings. Better to stay downtown on Meeting Street as opposed to someplace like the Charleston Harbor Resort?

I can't think of any reason to stay in Mt. Pleasant except price. Stay downtown or at Wild Dunes.

The advantage of staying downtown is that in evening, when you want to wind down, you'll be close to the house. Getting a pedi-cab/taxi, or walking around will be a lot easier than driving back over the bridge to Mount Pleasant (or one of the beach areas). You'll be pretty close to either Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island from downtown. I think being close to your hotel at night is better than being close to the beach in the morning.

Hitting up Husk on Sunday....hopefully it'll be as good as advertised seeing as how we had to get a reservation for two almost two months ago.

Fried chicken skins.
Pig ear lettuce wrap.

Enjoy Husk. Listen to DSD's recommendations. Husk has a pretty tremendous bourbon list as well so make sure to take advantage of it.

Downtown would surely be more fun, but I'm pretty sure there is currently a Groupon Getaway for the Charleston Harbor Resort, which you may want to look into.

Harbor resort is just such a pain to get to and from. Mt. Pleasant is in general, I guess, if you're mostly going to be doing stuff downtown. If it's a nice weekend, that road leading to the Harbor will be a madhouse. I would suggest downtown, especially if you're thinking you'd just stay out at Mount P and get a cab. Not ideal.

Harbor resort is just such a pain to get to and from. Mt. Pleasant is in general, I guess, if you're mostly going to be doing stuff downtown. If it's a nice weekend, that road leading to the Harbor will be a madhouse. I would suggest downtown, especially if you're thinking you'd just stay out at Mount P and get a cab. Not ideal.

I'll go ahead and disagree here.
Unless we're talking bridge run time or something Patriots Point Rd doesn't have any traffic concerns (I frequent the area). If you can save money by staying in Mt. P then it's just a few minute cab ride over the bridge. Obviously you'll want to stay downtown all else being equal but I bet it can be pretty pricey during the spring.

My parents are moving to the Old Village....less than 200 yard from Old Village Post House...it'll be nice when I start visiting them all the time

I'll go ahead and disagree here.
Unless we're talking bridge run time or something Patriots Point Rd doesn't have any traffic concerns (I frequent the area). If you can save money by staying in Mt. P then it's just a few minute cab ride over the bridge. Obviously you'll want to stay downtown all else being equal but I bet it can be pretty pricey during the spring.

Yeah, I don't think traffic is a concern there as you totally avoid Johnnie Dodds. It's just a little inconvenient to hang out in Charleston all day and then have to go back to the room and shower and change before going back to Charleston for dinner. It's a great place to stay if you plan to go see the USS Yorktown though.

Back