• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

tigerswood

Reaction score
I used the search function and somehow did not find a thread on this so here goes. I'm heading down Charleston-way this weekend with the lady friend and am looking for good places to eat/stuff to do. Haven't been in about 6 years so I naturally figured I'd ask the all knowing Pit. We're staying at the Charleston Place Hotel, which I'm incredibly pumped about. Not really looking to break the bank on meals, but willing to drop some coin for awesomeness. Would like to do Sunday brunch as well. Thanks in advance.

Went to Hominy, Magnolia's, Bowens Island, and Halls the last weekend I was there.

So we ate well.

Hominy Grill - great brunch place
Magonlias' - middle-to-high end Southern cuisine
Halls - great steakhouse
Bowens Island - oysters/seafood located on a secluded island in the waterway (best oysters in Charleston in my opinion)

If you can afford it/get reservations at this point go to Husk fur sure.

Five Loaves, Sermet's Corner, Oku has good sushi (happy hour half price rolls from 5-7 on MWF). For brunch I'd go to Hominy Grill. Toast and Virginia's also have pretty good brunches (and I think bottomless Mimosas).

Those are some of my favorites.

If you wanna make it out to Sullivan's then Poe's, of course.

Oh yeah I also ate at Poe's on Sunday before we left. Tell-Tell Heart burger FTMFW.

Went to Hominy, Magnolia's, Bowens Island, and Halls the last weekend I was there.

So we ate well.

Hominy Grill - great brunch place
Magonlias' - middle-to-high end Southern cuisine
Halls - great steakhouse
Bowens Island - oysters/seafood located on a secluded island in the waterway (best oysters in Charleston in my opinion)

Damn son, helluva lineup.

I would also add Husk if you get the chance.

If you wanna eat at a cheaper place that has some good tacos, check out Taco Boy. Checked that out last time I was down there. Not your typical Charleston dining, but it was pretty cool/good.

We took a 9 o'clock reservation to Husk last time I was down there just to get in. It was so worth it. Second time eating there, and I was even more impressed than the first.

Magnolia's

/endthread

No way you can /endthread on one restaurant for Charleston. There are so many good options.

-I would definitely try out Husk if you can
-Cypress is also really good (I haven't been there in a few years but last time I went it was really good).
-As mentioned before, if you get out to Sullivans definitely have lunch at Poe's
-McCrady's
-Mustard Seed (Mt. Pleasant)
-SNOB (not great but still pretty solid)
-Charleston Grill

Just a few options there. You really can't go wrong with any of those but all of those (except Poe's) are going to be pretty expensive.

Mmm, yeah forgot about Mustard Seed. That's my go-to post kayaking spot.

SNOB too, nomnom.

Try to bang out some hot CoC tail when the special lady friend isn't looking. Do it to honor your namesake.

Damn son, helluva lineup.

I would also add Husk if you get the chance.

We grubbed. I pretty much didn't need to eat for a week after leaving.

Taco Boy and Husk are also great suggestions.

Also check out a Kicken Chicken if you're in the mood for something more low key. Its a local chain which has pretty good sandwiches and wings, as well as decent drink specials. I recommmend the Peacemaker or the Ultimate Big Deal

SNOB is solid for brunch.

Hank's is still one of my favorites, but often gets missed by the touristy crowd.

Anybody know anything about FIG? I have a family friend who is a sous chef there, and have heard good things.

Anybody know anything about FIG? I have a family friend who is a sous chef there, and have heard good things.

I've heard great things also. Haven't had the time/money to hit it up yet though.

Blasphemy. I have only been to Charleston a couple of times, and that one was our favorite. We'll have to go back for an extended trip sometime so we can hit a few other places.

Haha, I like the Magnolias/Cypress/Blossom family of restaurants a lot. Just don't think they are the very best Chucktown has to offer. I usually go to 1 of them every 2-3 trips down there.

Back