• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

We as a society decide what is decent. That is where voting comes in. What if people wanted to run around downtown naked? Where are their civil rights? This May will be an interesting vote.

and one of the main reasons for the constitution is protecting the rights of minorities

383388_10150651944466275_177486166274_9708605_192767479_n.jpg

Seriously. Any points you may have are lost in your apparent obsession with anal sex. And you're proving the point of millions of liberals. Please shut the hell up.

Seriously. Any points you may have are lost in your apparent obsession with anal sex. And you're proving the point of millions of liberals. Please shut the hell up.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

There's obviously an inherent difference in the examples keeper/Dream cited in that the dividing line is with things that have the potential to directly impact you. Letting a gay couple marry is unlikely to directly impact your life. Someone running through the mall naked while you're there does have an impact (the degree to which will differ depending on who you are).

I think Joe Schmo's girlfriend down the street getting an abortion is going to impact you less than being forcibly sodomized.

There's obviously an inherent difference in the examples keeper/Dream cited in that the dividing line is with things that have the potential to directly impact you. Letting a gay couple marry is unlikely to directly impact your life. Someone running through the mall naked while you're there does have an impact (the degree to which will differ depending on who you are).

I think Joe Schmo's girlfriend down the street getting an abortion is going to impact you less than being forcibly sodomized.

The question I was answering from many posts ago was why would people vote for the amendment. I think many would vote yes because of their belief in setting community standards. Some folks think it is sinful. Others don't agree.

There's obviously an inherent difference in the examples keeper/Dream cited in that the dividing line is with things that have the potential to directly impact you. Letting a gay couple marry is unlikely to directly impact your life. Someone running through the mall naked while you're there does have an impact (the degree to which will differ depending on who is running naked).

FIFY

Childress between yours and townie's is that his don't impact anyone else:

If someone doesn't buy insurance, everyone else has to pay more and you get treated even if you can't pay.

RE: the second one-why dos anyone have the right to inflict cost (cleaning of smokey clothes) or negatively impact another person's health?

Those are two massive misses by you. Will you at least admit this?

You do realize that the birth control thing is a red herring as over 70% of America already has even stricter state laws on the subject, don't you?

Yes there are. Twenty-eight states that encompass over 70% of the US population already have these laws.

RJ, my point is that posts like townies are stupid and don't add much to the conversation. Each one of those topics (including the one's i posted) are too complex to simply say if you don't like it don't do it.

ETA: Also his examples of abortion and birth control (as it is currently being discussed on the national scale) clearly impact others.

Go on...

I'm all for nuance. I'm just surprised at how much social regulation the right wants for how little they want it economically.

The right - no regulation on business - total regulation in the bedroom

If the hospitals and universities take federal funds, they should live by federal laws. It's pretty much that simple.

What are you talking about?

also re: townies examples are about freedom. We aren't a theocracy and never should be. There are millions of people who think drinking is against God's will, but drinking is legal. There are millions who think premarital sex is a bad sin, but we don't make that illegal. The same should be the case with things like gay marriage, equal rights for gays and birth control.

Good point RC107. If the federal government can require Catholic hospitals to provide free BC than why can't they require people receiving federal unemployment/welfare dollars to take random drug tests?

I'm personally fine with that trade off, but something tells me the left would get their panties in a wad over such a destruction of personal liberties.

Good point RC107. If the federal government can require Catholic hospitals to provide free BC than why can't they require people receiving federal unemployment/welfare dollars to take random drug tests?

I'm personally fine with that trade off, but something tells me the left would get their panties in a wad over such a destruction of personal liberties.

FL tried this and it's a miserable financial failure. About 2% tested positive:

"Net savings to the state -- $3,400 to $8,200 annually on one month's worth of rejected applicants. Over 12 months, the money saved on all rejected applicants would add up to $40,800-$98,400 for the cash assistance program that state analysts have predicted will cost $178 million this fiscal year."

Yep that's a great idea.

FL tried this and it's a miserable financial failure. About 2% tested positive:

"Net savings to the state -- $3,400 to $8,200 annually on one month's worth of rejected applicants. Over 12 months, the money saved on all rejected applicants would add up to $40,800-$98,400 for the cash assistance program that state analysts have predicted will cost $178 million this fiscal year."

Yep that's a great idea.

Fair enough. But you're still OK with the federal government having the legal right to do it, right?

Back