• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

lbE08

Stegosaurus are bush league
Reaction score
http://voteagainst.org/

On May 8th, North Carolina Voters will be voting on the following amendment:

”Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state.“

In addition to prohibiting same-sex marriage, as state law already does, the Amendment would:
-prohibit North Carolina from ever passing legislation that would grant civil unions;
-bar the state from instituting domestic partnership rights;
-strip the domestic partner insurance benefits currently offered to employees by a number of local governments, including Chapel Hill, Durham, Greensboro, and Mecklenburg and Orange Counties.

In addition, courts could interpret the language of the Amendment to ban any rights to state’s hundreds of thousands of unmarried couples—both same and opposite-gender. This would:
-invalidate domestic violence protections for all unmarried partners;
-undercut existing child custody and visitation rights that are designed to protect the best interests of children;
-prevent the state from giving committed couples rights to allow them to order their relationships, including threatening their ability to determine the disposition of their deceased partner’s remains; to make medical decisions if their partner is incapacitated; and to allow second-parent adoptions in order to ensure that both partners have a legal tie to, and financial responsibilities for, the children they are raising.
-invalidate trusts, wills, and end-of-life directives by one partner in favor of the other.

I don't live in NC anymore, but I feel strongly against this and encourage others to vote against it when given the opportunity on May 8th.

Will this never end????

It'll end when "family values" stops meaning "I hate abortions and gays," and starts meaning, "I won't keep divorcing wives for newer, hotter models."

There are times I am embarrassed to admit I live in this state.

It'll end when "family values" stops meaning "I hate abortions and gays," and starts meaning, "I won't keep divorcing wives for newer, hotter models."

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant, will this ever end as in will we, politically, stop caring about who marries who (whom?) and let people live their lives so long as they do not infringe on anyone else's life, liberty or property???

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant, will this ever end as in will we, politically, stop caring about who marries who (whom?) and let people live their lives so long as they do not infringe on anyone else's life, liberty or property???

It won't end until the religious right ceases to own one of the political parties.

Its also a power play to get more conservatives to the polls. Can't have NC as a blue state again.

Its also a power play to get more conservatives to the polls. Can't have NC as a blue state again.

No, it isn't. If that were true, they would hold the vote in November.

The idea is to getting to pass. They're holding it in May when lots of Republicans show up for their primary, and Democrats don't have a primary.

Eh I'm dumb. For some reason I thought general election, when I knew it was during the primary.

I'M A TARD

Any chance it gets to the Supreme Court?

Eventually, I figure. That's the only way you can overcome a state's constitution without another vote.

I imagine you'd see it as a challenge against DOMA.

This is a stupid amendment and I will vote against it, but some of the examples given about how this could be interpreted by the NC Courts:willynilly: are :willynilly:

to the person who negrepped me because you're for it... that's all well and good, you're entitled to an opinion, but you don't have to negrep me about it... or at least sign it, so i can return the favor and even things out.

Like I said, I don't live in NC anymore but I feel SO strongly against this. I'm trying to get it out there, especially because it's on the primary, that people need to go and vote (against).

Man, dumbass comments like that really piss me off. Blame the 10 Democrats who voted for it? Are you out of your fucking mind? There wouldn't even have been a vote on it if the Republicans hadn't brought the bill up to pander to the religious fanatics in the state! Just more typical worthless Republican BS. Did a single Republican vote against it? I'd lay odds that every single one of them voted for it. Please correct me if I wrong....or confirm what I'm guessing if I'm right.

So.....the Republicans bring the bill up and (I'm assuming) voted 100% for it....but I'm supoosed to blame the 10 Democrats who voted for it out of however many total Democrats who voted. That is unbelievably stupid fucking logic!

I expect dumbassery from Republicans on a daily basis. So the fact that they brought this up for cheap points does not surprise me. Just like all the other silly little bull shit they've done over the last year on abortion and voter ID and the teachers union, etc.

However, they could not pass this on their own, at least not in the house. The senate vote was straight party line, 30-16. In the house, it required 72 votes to pass. It got 75 votes for and 42 votes against. All votes against were Democrats. The votes for were 65 Republicans and 10 Democrats. The simple facts are that this piece of shit is on the ballot due to almost 20% of house dems voting for it.

House vote
Senate Vote
N&O Story

Back