• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official "Ohhh Florida" Thread

i believe clearwater is the east coast hq of scientology

Some heartbreaking stories in the comments about mentally il children and parents and the need for better mental health facilities.

Out of the closet

750x422

Ohhhh Florida.

What the hell was the cop doing there? It reads like he didn't do anything to stop the guy from pulling the child out of the car and throwing her in the bay even though he had drawn his weapon when he thought the guy was coming at him.

I assume the guy got away because the cop dove in to rescue the child but he's not mentioned as a rescuer.

-----
Fernandez said in an earlier statement that a St. Petersburg police officer saw the suspect throw the girl in the water. A St. Petersburg Police Officer was heading home southbound toward the bridge when he said a Chrysler PT Cruiser passed him going about 100 miles per hour. Once he'd reached the top of the bridge and entered the approach to the Skyway, the officer said the driver stopped his white PT Cruiser.
Holloway said Jonchuck, 25, got out and started toward the officer, who pulled his weapon. But Jonchuck went around to the passenger side of the car and got the child out.
The officer "thought he heard the child scream, but he wasn't sure," Holloway said. The officer then saw the man throw the child over, into the strong bay current.
Jonchuck then got back in the car and drove south for about 30 minutes before officials said Manatee County authorities stopped him near an exit.
"The suspect drove off," Holloway said. "He just drove off."
Holloway said Jonchuck turned his blinker on and stopped before starting again and driving toward deputies. He then headed the wrong way on the interstate, going back toward the bridge. Deputies put out traffic spikes to stop the vehicle.
Jonchuck was arrested and brought back to St. Petersburg for questioning. He's being held without bond on the murder charge.
-------

Edit: This article reads like the cop was still in his vehicle as all this happened and went to the bridge to try to locate the girl.
http://www.wptv.com/news/state/5-year-old-girl-dies-after-thrown-off-dick-misener-bridge-in-st-petersburg-florida

Last edited:
probably should've shot the dude before he had a chance to toss that kid

If he was still in his vehicle, he wouldn't have known there was a kid in the back and what was going to happen. Not sure why he was still in his vehicle after pulling over a guy going 100 who quickly got out of his car and went around to the passenger side backseat.

What the hell was the cop doing there? It reads like he didn't do anything to stop the guy from pulling the child out of the car and throwing her in the bay even though he had drawn his weapon when he thought the guy was coming at him.

I assume the guy got away because the cop dove in to rescue the child but he's not mentioned as a rescuer.

-----
Fernandez said in an earlier statement that a St. Petersburg police officer saw the suspect throw the girl in the water. A St. Petersburg Police Officer was heading home southbound toward the bridge when he said a Chrysler PT Cruiser passed him going about 100 miles per hour. Once he'd reached the top of the bridge and entered the approach to the Skyway, the officer said the driver stopped his white PT Cruiser.
Holloway said Jonchuck, 25, got out and started toward the officer, who pulled his weapon. But Jonchuck went around to the passenger side of the car and got the child out.
The officer "thought he heard the child scream, but he wasn't sure," Holloway said. The officer then saw the man throw the child over, into the strong bay current.
Jonchuck then got back in the car and drove south for about 30 minutes before officials said Manatee County authorities stopped him near an exit.
"The suspect drove off," Holloway said. "He just drove off."
Holloway said Jonchuck turned his blinker on and stopped before starting again and driving toward deputies. He then headed the wrong way on the interstate, going back toward the bridge. Deputies put out traffic spikes to stop the vehicle.
Jonchuck was arrested and brought back to St. Petersburg for questioning. He's being held without bond on the murder charge.
-------

Edit: This article reads like the cop was still in his vehicle as all this happened and went to the bridge to try to locate the girl.
http://www.wptv.com/news/state/5-year-old-girl-dies-after-thrown-off-dick-misener-bridge-in-st-petersburg-florida

I doubt the cop dove off a 60-foot bridge.

probably should've shot the dude before he had a chance to toss that kid

I would guess it happened quickly and he had no reason to know that was what the guy was going to do. Who would guess that was what was getting ready to do down?

This could get even uglier. This is what a friend of mine is reporting.

HCSO = Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
The Baker Act allows for detention of people with mental health issues
DCF = FL Department of Children and Families

EXCLUSIVE TO MEREDYTHTV: I was contacted by a Tampa attorney who met with murder suspect John Jonchuck on Wednesday, less than 24 hours before he dropped his 5-year-old daughter off of the Dick Misener Bridge. She tells me she was concerned for Phoebe's safety - she was with Jonchuck in her office - and she notified HCSO. HCSO spoke with Jonchuck, but she says they determined he did not meet standards for Baker Act. She then called DCF, but was told her report didn't rise to level for a case worker to intervene. Less than 12 hours later, Phoebe is dead.

10906001_1567739730138041_6869758619477463066_n.jpg

This could get even uglier. This is what a friend of mine is reporting.

HCSO = Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
The Baker Act allows for detention of people with mental health issues
DCF = FL Department of Children and Families

EXCLUSIVE TO MEREDYTHTV: I was contacted by a Tampa attorney who met with murder suspect John Jonchuck on Wednesday, less than 24 hours before he dropped his 5-year-old daughter off of the Dick Misener Bridge. She tells me she was concerned for Phoebe's safety - she was with Jonchuck in her office - and she notified HCSO. HCSO spoke with Jonchuck, but she says they determined he did not meet standards for Baker Act. She then called DCF, but was told her report didn't rise to level for a case worker to intervene. Less than 12 hours later, Phoebe is dead.

10906001_1567739730138041_6869758619477463066_n.jpg

our worst failing as a society is how we treat mental illness

Agreed. Factored into this story as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-office-florida-man-decapitates-mother-204529668.html

Gomez was upset with his mother because she wanted him to move boxes around the house, and he was jealous of the attention Suarez-Cassagne paid to his brother, Gualtieri said.

Some heartbreaking stories in the comments about mentally il children and parents and the need for better mental health facilities.

our worst failing as a society is how we treat mental illness

The situation is far from perfect, but as a society we also must weigh the right of the mentally ill to be free from involuntary confinement. There are lots of ill people out there, we can't simply lock them all up.

I would guess it happened quickly and he had no reason to know that was what the guy was going to do. Who would guess that was what was getting ready to do down?

And, if the guy is holding the kid, you're asking the cop to shoot at the kid, essentially.

The situation is far from perfect, but as a society we also must weigh the right of the mentally ill to be free from involuntary confinement. There are lots of ill people out there, we can't simply lock them all up.

That's not the only other option.

Back