• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trailers for Movies You Want to See

Anyone else get chills from the music in Prometheus trailer? The high pitched squealing that just keeps repeating. Yikes.

I feel like it (along with another 5-7 movies and TV shows) is ripping off the repetitive drone-ing soundtrack of Inception.

That and the Transformers sound are the two most pirated sounds of the last couple of years. Sportscenter even rips off the Transformers sound now.

I posted an article on this earlier in the thread. They mention the sound design in Transformers.

There has been a shift in modern trailers to go away from a narrative (both in the sense of a narrative story and actually having a narrator) and instead focus on creating a visceral experience. Ambient noises or music help create such a feeling. The droning in the Prometheus trailer is an alarm from the movie. An impetus for this change has been technological and two-fold... sounds can be more easily created to fit exactly what you want and sound in movie theaters is leaps and bounds above where it used to be.

Anyone else get chills from the music in Prometheus trailer? The high pitched squealing that just keeps repeating. Yikes.

Yes. Every time the TV spots come on during the NBA Playoffs I immediately stop what I'm doing and look at the screen. One of the best advertising campaigns in a long time.

And I love that trailers have shifted more towards creating a visceral experience instead of trying to set up the narrative. Since a movie's visual conception is more important to me than the narrative (I guess this explains why I love Tree of Life), I'm very happy with this move.

Since we're talking about narration in trailers, this is my favorite trailer of all time:

Not a trailer, per se, but a new viral video for Prometheus.

I don't dig it as much as the Fassbinder one, but I so can't wait for this flick to be released.

Paul Thomas Anderson's (Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood) The Master now has a teaser trailer. For those that don't know, Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays a L. Ron Hubbard type, and the movie follows his faith-based organization as it catches on in America, and Joaquin Phoenix plays a young drifter who becomes his right hand man. This is one of the best teaser's I've ever seen. Got to imagine Phoenix and PSH will be in contention for acting awards, and I think the movie is the early front-runner to win Best Picture.

I feel like it (along with another 5-7 movies and TV shows) is ripping off the repetitive drone-ing soundtrack of Inception.

The repetitive sound in the Prometheus trailer though is the same sound used in the original Alien trailer. Prometheus is rumored to be a prequel to Alien, so the use is, IMO, pretty cool.

Was just coming here to post The Master trailer. Looks gooooooood. Phoenix just looks perfect for that role.

is Johnny Greenwood doing the score again? the trailer music sounds like something out of There Will Be Blood. Also, I gotta imagine that Lincoln will be up for some awards (at least acting) and Hudson on Hyde Park (Bill Murray as FDR).

is Johnny Greenwood doing the score again? the trailer music sounds like something out of There Will Be Blood. Also, I gotta imagine that Lincoln will be up for some awards (at least acting) and Hudson on Hyde Park (Bill Murray as FDR).

Yep, Greenwood is doing the music again, and the trailer music is also Greenwood.

Yes please.

That looks so badass...and so many actors that can carry a movie on their own.

Sean Penn
Giovanni Ribisi
Ryan Gosling (boss)
Josh Brolin

Looks to be an amazing film.

Here is a very interesting interview about "Prometheus" from the screen writer. It goes into the story began as an Alien prequel, but something was added to it that made it a standalone story.

"Yeah, it was very much an Alien prequel, from the outset. It was the untitled Alien prequel for most of the time I worked on it. We tried titles out, but nothing ever stuck. Again, it goes back to that idea I can’t really talk about, but the core idea that got me the job in the first place was a new addition to the mythology and the universe. That new element became very much the central element of the story, the principle point of interest. The other trappings of the Alien universe retreated into the background, in deference to this new central notion. I think the studio looked at that and knew we were really talking about something new here. It has a bloodline connection to the Alien universe, but we’re not going to use that title anymore because we’re really in a new space."

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/jon-spaihts-jgiro.php

They talk about this in the interview, but the movie may go into the mythology of the Space Jockeys, which were the race that created the xenomorph (Alien) and possibly their influence on the evolution of humans.

People who aren't familiar with the Alien films don't realize that the Alien monster wasn't just from an alien race in the sense of a typical sci-fi movie, but was a mystery that the Weyland Corp wanted to study and turn into a weapon. They had no idea what the Alien was, or where it had come from.

Not a trailer, per se, but a new viral video for Prometheus.

I don't dig it as much as the Fassbinder one, but I so can't wait for this flick to be released.

Very interested in the backstory/info that this movie gives in regards to the Alien universe....I agree about the point about the Alien creators' role in human civilization.

The sound in the promos is such a great advertising tool...it immediately draws your attention and gets you to watch the commercials...I think soooo many more movies like this are going to start using the whole visceral mindset in promos/teasers...smart advertising.

I'm also interested in the Weyland Corp...because as far as I can remember, in the existing Alien movies, it's always the "Weyland-Yutani Corporation"...whereas the two teasers linked here show Fassbender discussing the Weyland Corp and the lady person referencing Yutani Corp....I really like backstory stuff like that and how that corporation will join together and how that relates to the studies/etc in the existing films.

The repetitive sound in the Prometheus trailer though is the same sound used in the original Alien trailer. Prometheus is rumored to be a prequel to Alien, so the use is, IMO, pretty cool.

It started out as a prequel, but most have admitted they changed it from a direct prequel to something existing in the same universe, but not directly leading into the Alien franchise....it exists on it's own and as a part of the same universe as the existing films.

All in all this is going to be one incredible year for movies....so many blockbuster hits and killer acting/directing/writing combinations that are going to make next year's awards season a lot of fun.

Thoughts on the Great Gatsby trailer? Not pumped for the casting

I think the casting has been terrific, but Baz Luhrman as director gives me no confidence, and that trailer confirms my suspicions, those being that Luhrman has turned it into one of his boring, soullessly lavish spectacles (the movie is in 3D for christ sakes).

Hmm interesting. I see what you're saying about the soullessly lavish spectacle.

Me and my two friends that enjoy reading just discussed and we hate Leo as Gatsby, hate McGuire as Nick (though we all tend to dislike these actors regardless), hate the girl from Drive as Daisy (can't imagine her pulling off ditsy, stunning blonde, too plain), hate Isla Fischer as the mistress (even in wedding crashers she was sweet, we think of Tom's mistress as a trashy curvy gross Housewives of New Jersey type. Love isla though)

I think Leo as Gatsby is perfect casting, but in general I'm pretty ambivalent towards this whole project. Doesn't seem to have much promise, and it opens on the same day (December 25th) as Django Unchained, so it is being completely overshadowed for me (another Leo movie, and I suspect he will be nominated for an Oscar for one of these two roles, most likely Django).

I think the casting has been terrific, but Baz Luhrman as director gives me no confidence, and that trailer confirms my suspicions, those being that Luhrman has turned it into one of his boring, soullessly lavish spectacles (the movie is in 3D for christ sakes).

Yea, see the chat thread. As soon as I saw Moulin Rouge, i was turned off.

Back