• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Cigar Thread

What do you use to light?

I've got a colibri firebird torch that i've had for years & have always loved it... but I seem to have to relight 3-4 times per cigar (seemingly regardless of ring size)... is that normal?

I normally use wood matches so I don't absolutely torch the tobacco in lighting it. However, if it is windy matches are impossible. For that I have a butane torch I picked up at total wine. I need to get a nicer torch, but just haven't pulled the trigger since I use matches so much.

I almost never have cigars go out several times and having a cigar go out is normally a sign of a poorly rolled cigar. Is it cheap cigars that go out or nice ones to? If everything is going out, you are smoking too slowly. You need a few puffs every 45-50 seconds to keep a cigar going.

Also, if you need to save your cigar for later (something I don't have a problem with normally since I almost always finish) use your cutter to clip off all of the charred bits on the end. Cigars that have been lit go stale really quickly, but clipping off the end helps preserve it longer.

Last edited:
I normally use wood matches so I don't absolutely torch the tobacco in lighting it. However, if it is windy matches are impossible. For that I have a butane torch I picked up at total wine. I need to get a nicer torch, but just haven't pulled the trigger since I use matches so much.

I almost never have cigars go out several times and having a cigar go out is normally a sign of a poorly rolled cigar. Is it cheap cigars that go out or nice ones to? If everything is going out, you are smoking too slowly. You need a few puffs every 45-50 seconds to keep a cigar going.

Also, if you need to save your cigar for later (something I don't have a problem with normally since I almost always finish) use your cutter to clip off all of the charred bits on the end. Cigars that have been lit go stale really quickly, but clipping off the end helps preserve it longer.

Shit that is specific. Need to bring a stopwatch next time.

My pops got me some nice stogies for christmas. I believe I stashed a few for when he visits next weekend, but I also may have smoked them all over New Years, it's tough to say. My palate is pretty unrefined, but I like a strong cigar, and don't like sweetness whatsoever.

Shit that is specific. Need to bring a stopwatch next time.

My pops got me some nice stogies for christmas. I believe I stashed a few for when he visits next weekend, but I also may have smoked them all over New Years, it's tough to say. My palate is pretty unrefined, but I like a strong cigar, and don't like sweetness whatsoever.

Haha it's not puff every 45-50. It's don't wait longer than that.

Backyard (and/or golf) smoke - various Acid cigars

Worst part about quitting nicotine is that I can't smoke stogies. SUUUUCKS.

Over thanksgiving, a family friend who came to dinner brought a bunch of "Cubans" that he gave as thank you gift to my family for giving him a Thanksgiving meal. Since nobody in my family smokes them, my dad took a couple to give to his co workers and I took the rest of them. I have only had a few cigars in my life so I went ahead and bought a humidor on Ebay to keep them in. Is there a good way to figure out exactly what kind of cigars I have since it seems that there a million versions of each kind on the internet with different styles, cuts, and whatnot.

Are there cigar bands on the cigars? What size are the cigars and what kind of wrapper? If you can post a picture of them, that would help.

Here is a picture of the different ones. I figured yall may know what they are exactly.

IMAG1493.jpg

And here is the lot of em.

IMAG1497.jpg

Thanks for the photos....Here's hoping all the cigars are legit, because if they are you have some good ones.
Partagas Serie D, is an awesome smoke.. The Monte Cristo and Cohiba are two classic brands, unfortunately they are the most faked cigars out there.

My advice to you...enjoy all your cigars, but don't get caught up on the "Cuban Mystique"....there are thousands of great cigars out there that we can legally buy here in America. That is a good looking humidor, don't over humidify the cigars...Lots of newbies get so obsessed over humidification that they soak their cigars.

Thanks for the knowledge and advice. I have a pretty good feeling that they are real since the family friend is in the special forces and spends most of the year overseas.

I actually was just reading about humidity and was just trying to get the humidor into that sweet spot on the dial but i will try not to obsess over it.

Anyway, thanks again!

So how long do cigars stay good without a humidor? I assume the box they come in (8-pack) won't be of much help.

Don't obsess over the dial that came with the humidor...it's probably not that accurate. As long as the cigars aren't too wet or too dry,you'll be ok.

You could pick up a small humidification device and put it in the cigar box...like the clear plastic thing in Supradeac's humidor.

Thanks for the photos....Here's hoping all the cigars are legit, because if they are you have some good ones.
Partagas Serie D, is an awesome smoke.. The Monte Cristo and Cohiba are two classic brands, unfortunately they are the most faked cigars out there.

My advice to you...enjoy all your cigars, but don't get caught up on the "Cuban Mystique"....there are thousands of great cigars out there that we can legally buy here in America. That is a good looking humidor, don't over humidify the cigars...Lots of newbies get so obsessed over humidification that they soak their cigars.

The Cohibas look legit... (just basing that off of the leaf size/texture & the band (mostly the gold foil lettering))...

Harder to tell with the Monte Cristo; but I'm guessing that if the others are real... you've got the good (real) stuff in the MCs.

I completely agree w/ tvcigar about Cubans.

Here is a picture of the different ones. I figured yall may know what they are exactly.

IMAG1493.jpg

And here is the lot of em.

IMAG1497.jpg

Without question the Montecristo #2 is Cuban. I think the Cohiba's are as well. I like Montecristo more than Cohiba but they are both excellent.

Look at the ring. If it says Habana it is real. This goes for the Romeo Y Julietta in the middle. Few people go to the extreme of printing fake rings.

There is a definite difference between the non-Cuban Cohibas and the legal ones.

Back