• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Ghost on Tobacco Road: Five years later, the late Skip Prosser still looms over WF

Another great piece by Matt. The Classical was the perfect place for this.

It was a good article but there was no need to include the part about the alleged sexual misconduct. It's one thing to talk about a crime that has been committed. it's quite another to potentially harm someone over something very questionable.

The rest of the article was excellent. That was irresponsible.

Really enjoyed it, and forwarded it to some friends and family that I thought may enjoy it too. Agreed that it's painful to remember though.

“Before every practice, even before we stretched, we’d start at the whiteboard and go over the ABC’s—Academics, Basketball, Character. He really took an interest in us as people first, then as players, and that made him different.”

This is the culture we need. Skip was a great coach and a great representative of Wake.

I had bad feeling when Skip died that it was going to take us five years to move out from under the weight of his loss and get started on an upward trajectory again. Now I'm hoping we can do it in ten.

I also think it is unfair to say that Skip was disinterested in defense. His first two teams were very good defensively and on the glass, largely as a function of the personnel available to him. I would have loved to see what he could have done with Dino's teams.

Excellent article. Very well written and does a nice job capturing the essence of Skip. Only things I did not think were accuarate/fair were the mention of the sexual misconduct and Skip's lack of interest in defense. If you read Alan William's "Walk-On" book he explains that Skip actually spent alot more time and energy working on defense than Odom did. While you can debate why some of those teams were so ineffective (personnel, poor coaching, etc), I don't think it's fair to suggest Prosser had little interest in defense.

I truly believe he was the perfect fit for Wake and the guy who was meant to take us to the promised land. Being a student during those years was such a gift. Rest in peace Skip.

Garbage. Dino won because of Skip's last two recruiting classes which included Tony Woods. Then in another paragraph Tony Woods , a Gaudio signee, faced legal problems. Pick one, either Prosser or Gaudio recruited him. Pick one. Saying the atmosphere at the Joel was in 2000-01 the same as it is now is comical.

Recruit and signee are technically different. While you're right that there are far fewer people than in 2000, the noise level is the same.

Recruit and signee are technically different. While you're right that there are far fewer people than in 2000, the noise level is the same.

Disagree on the noise. Yes they are technically different. It reads as a positive for Skip to obtain the commitment but a negative for Dino to sign him. The part about Clark in Miami leaves out the fact Dino received a new contract AFTER this occurance. Poor journalism. I don't think Skip would approve of the article .

Back