• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best "College Town"

Best "College Town"

• Total voters
Went with Madison. I couldn't vote Chapel Hill or Charlottesville even though the towns are pretty cool. Makes me realize how much college sports has affected my life

And having just been there, I have to throw out Lawrence, KS as well. Not on the Austin/Madision level, but not a bad little town.

And having just been there, I have to throw out Lawrence, KS as well. Not on the Austin/Madision level, but not a bad little town.

Yeah, I think Lawrence and Chapel Hill are pretty equal, with Lawrence being a little kookier and more liberal. Very similar campuses (I like KU's better) and set ups with Franklin St and Massachusetts St.

ETA, re: the existence of Columbus OH on this list. I've enjoyed my time in Columbus but I think it's kind of a hole compared to most of the other places on the list.

I have visited before, and it is certainly pretty awesome. But doesn't fit the sort of community I'm looking for here.

I have never been to Gainesville or Tuscaloosa, so that is why they aren't on the poll. Why are they awesome?

Lots of bars, some great food, hot girls. Never been to Austin but have heard good things.

That chapel hill is no fun when you're past 19 yrs old. Surprised you don't have a shitload of friends there like I do from HS.

Well of course I did. Hell my boy Doug moved back there last summer. But outside of getting drunk on Bob's porch I never had that much fun after my sophomore year of college. Once we turned 21 I was normally the host down in Charlotte, or we'd do a gameday weekend down in Columbia. Chapel Hill gameday is the worst.

Well yea, I wouldn't want to see a game there, but the college itself is fun, there are cool bars and restaurants, and carrboro gets sick concerts.

Yeah, I think Lawrence and Chapel Hill are pretty equal, with Lawrence being a little kookier and more liberal. Very similar campuses (I like KU's better) and set ups with Franklin St and Massachusetts St.

ETA, re: the existence of Columbus OH on this list. I've enjoyed my time in Columbus but I think it's kind of a hole compared to most of the other places on the list.

MORE LIBERAL THAN CHAPEL HILL!?

Noob.

Noob.

I agree with RJ and OT. There are so many colleges in the Boston area and what they lack in ncaab and ncaafb excitement, they make up for in Beanpot. Just because there are other things to do in the city other than college-related-shit, doesn't mean it isn't a 'college town'.

That being said, I wouldn't have voted for it.

Well yea, I wouldn't want to see a game there, but the college itself is fun, there are cool bars and restaurants, and carrboro gets sick concerts.

Fair enough. I will admit to having a decent time last spring when I went down for the Duke-UNC game that ended last season. Of course the reason it was fun was because during the game Corey and myself posted up at Bob's and got drunk. Bob's was about 90% girls, and since half of them we're as invested as myself in the outcome, it was a fun atmosphere. Once the game ended and all the dudes came out, it proceeded to be mediocre again.

I agree with RJ and OT. There are so many colleges in the Boston area and what they lack in ncaab and ncaafb excitement, they make up for in Beanpot. Just because there are other things to do in the city other than college-related-shit, doesn't mean it isn't a 'college town'.

LOL, bigger noob.

It's a joke from This is Spinal Tap. Come on! It is funny because Boston has a greater percentage of college kids than probably any other major city in the country.

noob

I had to go with Austin. Love that town. I want to move there, but haven't been able to pull it off yet.

Jeez. What is with you people not getting the Fran Drescher line from Spinal Tap?

I think Madison, Austin, Columbus, and Boulder are kind of big to be considered college towns. They may hve great college scenes or neighborhoods, but the school is not really the overarching economic driver in these cities. Three of them are state capitals.

Back