• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ultrasound Requirement Passed into law

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
http://fredericksburg.patch.com/articles/mandatory-ultrasound-before-abortions-now-law

A good step. The more we know about the child in the womb, the harder it will be to discard of them so easily. Perhaps this will save some lives. I have no problem with healthcare mandates when they are proper, so that might put me in the big government camp at time. If a girl is going to make the decision to end a life, then the least we can do is require she sees all the information before doing so.

The original wording of Byron’s bill would have mandated the use of a transvaginal probing procedure, but the bill was amended at McDonnell’s request to require only a transabdominal ultrasound.
Well that part is good, at least.

Does the aborter have to pay for the procedure? Even if not, my guess is the cost will be transferred over to the cost of the abortion.

I see no scenario where this thread will devolve into anything less than civilized discourse.

Why don't they just come out and say it? We are pushing this bill because we want to push our religious beliefs down the throats of others, regardless of whether they want it or not.

What a wonderful country we live in.

I had an gallbladder ultrasound a few months ago. It cost $1,000. We should just call this a religion tax for women.

Wasn't the point of the whole transvaginal ultrasound debate caused because most abortions are performed at a time when the fetus can't be detected by an abdominal ultrasound? So VA is now forcing women that want to have an abortion to have an ultrasound that will show nothing? So this law is supposed to do..... what exactly?

Why don't they just come out and say it? We are pushing this bill because we want to push our religious beliefs down the throats of others, regardless of whether they want it or not.

What a wonderful country we live in.

I neglected to sign my negrep.

Wasn't the point of the whole transvaginal ultrasound debate caused because most abortions are performed at a time when the fetus can't be detected by an abdominal ultrasound? So VA is now forcing women that want to have an abortion to have an ultrasound that will show nothing? So this law is supposed to do..... what exactly?

Yup. Don't expect that little detail to get in the way, though.

I'm sure seeing a blob of cells on an ultrasound screen is really going to be useful.

So you're fine with a vaginal ultrasound then. Good to k now that your feigned outrage was just because this particular step is ineffective and not because you think that abortion is totally fine morally.

So you're fine with a vaginal ultrasound then. Good to k now that your feigned outrage was just because this particular step is ineffective and not because you think that abortion is totally fine morally.

I think this is a completely unnecessary step, vaginal or abdominal. It is a thinly veiled attempt to politicize religious beliefs. Let the woman decide on her own.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but no, not at all. I already discussed it on the other thread we had on this subject, though, didn't want to be repetitive. But to clarify, I understand why someone who equates abortion with murder would support this. But a woman who is having an abortion obviously doesn't feel that way. Forcing an unnecessary medical procedure on her solely in an attempt to shame her into not going through with a legal medical procedure is wrong. Like, really wrong. I think I used the word abhorrent before.

The fact that the law is also ineffective just makes it stupid as well.

http://fredericksburg.patch.com/articles/mandatory-ultrasound-before-abortions-now-law

A good step. The more we know about the child in the womb, the harder it will be to discard of them so easily. Perhaps this will save some lives. I have no problem with healthcare mandates when they are proper, so that might put me in the big government camp at time. If a girl is going to make the decision to end a life, then the least we can do is require she sees all the information before doing so.

Is the state paying for this medically unnecessary procedure?

In other words, you are for the state mandating things that you agree with, but not those you don't. So it's not that mandates are illegal, it's that only the ones you don't like are.

So it's OK to mandate that women pay for something they don't want or need, but it's wrong to mandate people buy insurance. Hmmm what do they call this????

McDonnell is now out as the GOP VP.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was directed at me, but no, not at all. I already discussed it on the other thread we had on this subject, though, didn't want to be repetitive. But to clarify, I understand why someone who equates abortion with murder would support this. But a woman who is having an abortion obviously doesn't feel that way. Forcing an unnecessary medical procedure on her solely in an attempt to shame her into not going through with a legal medical procedure is wrong. Like, really wrong. I think I used the word abhorrent before.

The fact that the law is also ineffective just makes it stupid as well.

Exactly.

Is the state paying for this medically unnecessary procedure?

In other words, you are for the state mandating things that you agree with, but not those you don't. So it's that mandates are illegal, it's that only the ones you don't like are.

McDonnell is now out as the GOP VP.

Wait, RJ. You don't want to foot the $1,000 for an ultrasound? How scammed would you feel if after spending that money, the girl decided to get an abortion anyway? Downright cheated, I bet.

At least we can take solace in the fact that the abortion doctor, the girl and everyone involved in the decision will be burning in fire and brimstone eventually. Hell, I might even get to watch.

Republicans want less government interference in the lives of citizens.

lolzzzzzzzzzzz

There's no provision for the state to pay for it.

WWJD?

images

Since conservatives don't give a flying fuck about helping any of these kids after they're born, they should be forced to watch tiny tim videos of their shitty poverty-stricken lives for a few hours a night.

Last edited:
waste of time and resources, and an insult to women undergoing a perfectly legal procedure. Hypocritical and obnoxious on the part of the lawmakers and those who support it.

Back