• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Shaka...

Lavin just said his "scoop" says Shaka is going to Illinois.

I hope St. John's is happy that Lavin has already taken them as far as he can. Their season in 2010-'11 is going to end up being the highlight of the Lavin era at St. John's. He failed miserably at UCLA and will fail miserably at St. John's.

I hope St. John's is happy that Lavin has already taken them as far as he can. Their season in 2010-'11 is going to end up being the highlight of the Lavin era at St. John's. He failed miserably at UCLA and will fail miserably at St. John's.

great insight

Lavin wasn't a miserable failure at UCLA. In 7 years there he made 4 sweet 16s and a final 8. The problem is that they see themselves like Duke, UNC and UK, and they aren't like that anymore.

I'm curious why people think he would turn down jobs like NCSU, Illinois (which will no doubt be offered to him, if it hasn't already) and others, but take the Wake job.

I for one don't think he would, and I'm not sure the Premier would even offer. But I can dream.

I'm curious why people think he would turn down jobs like NCSU, Illinois (which will no doubt be offered to him, if it hasn't already) and others, but take the Wake job.

He wouldn't which is why this entire thread is kind of ridiculous. Wellman firing Gaudio after being 61-31 and then hiring [Redacted] has undoubtedly made wake a much less attractive job than it was 3 years ago. And I seriously doubt that wake was a more attractive job than Illinois doe any candidate other than perhaps a wake alum in any event. Further, Hiring the "hot" candidate has never been Wellman's style.

Those schools are bigger, have more fans, better facilities, can pay more, and offer a better chance to win a National Title. Meanwhile, we have better academics. I guess the thought is that he might prefer to coach at a small, private school? Like he wants to put a blazer and walk around campus with a pipe and a book under his arm?

NCSU- unitards
Illinois- too hard to spell, racist nickname/mascot

Lavin wasn't a miserable failure at UCLA. In 7 years there he made 4 sweet 16s and a final 8. The problem is that they see themselves like Duke, UNC and UK, and they aren't like that anymore.

But with Shaka they would be!

David Weaver's thoughts make me a little sad: "Shaka is a lil toooo 'vibrant' for the WF faithful I think tho"
Sadly, he is probably right. While most who post here are in love with the guy, I really can not picture Wellman hiring someone like Shaka.

Sadly, he is probably right. While most who post here are in love with the guy, I really can not picture Wellman hiring someone like Shaka.

Why not though? Isn't asses in the seats and tourney appearances/wins most important? Especially being part of the basketball snobbery on Tobacco Road? I feel like even though football dominates the landscape these days, basketball at Wake will always be like football at Clemson. If it is your flagship sport, spend the damn money. Someone like Shaka could really be a pain in the dick for K/Roy, and recruits will go to Wake.

It's fucking infuriating watching your situation. No matter how good of a basketball coach Clemson gets, the success will always be short lived, and he will always be looking to upgrade. Brownell is figuring out now how hard it is to get players to come to Clemson. If you can spend the money on Grobe, why not also spend it to bring in someone like Shaka?

Why not though? Isn't asses in the seats and tourney appearances/wins most important? Especially being part of the basketball snobbery on Tobacco Road? I feel like even though football dominates the landscape these days, basketball at Wake will always be like football at Clemson. If it is your flagship sport, spend the damn money. Someone like Shaka could really be a pain in the dick for K/Roy, and recruits will go to Wake.

It's fucking infuriating watching your situation. No matter how good of a basketball coach Clemson gets, the success will always be short lived, and he will always be looking to upgrade. Brownell is figuring out now how hard it is to get players to come to Clemson. If you can spend the money on Grobe, why not also spend it to bring in someone like Shaka?

No. Old, white, backwards white men that drink Brandy and smoke cigars in their club houses prefer the right "culture."

Better to lose with pride than win with Tattoos!!!!! Or players with NBA aspirations!!!!! Welcome back to the ERA of LOWF!!!!

No. Old, white, backwards white men that drink Brandy and smoke cigars in their club houses prefer the right "culture."

You forgot to mention how white those men are. Virginal white. Brand new wife beater white.

So much for Mark Gottfried being a crappy re-tread coach

Back