• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Shaka...

Better to lose with pride than win with Tattoos!!!!! Or players with NBA aspirations!!!!! Welcome back to the ERA of LOWF!!!!

NC State's in the Sweet Sixteen and we're stuck with one of the worst, if not THE worst coach in Division 1. :rulz:

Gottfried is gonna be a very good coach at State, but just remember, he was the coach that called Aminu and Woods a day or two after Skip died.

Gottfried is gonna be a very good coach at State, but just remember, he was the coach that called Aminu and Woods a day or two after Skip died.

Never heard of this - how was this confirmed?

I think it was just Woods, but nonetheless, this is something to keep in the back of your mind before we fawn all over Gottfired

Gottfried isn't a likeable coach, and I'm not fawning over him - don't care for him or State. But he's heads and shoulders better than Bzdick. Same with Drew.

Which is why we really ought to reconsider this whole ACC thing. We belong back in the Southern Conference. And I'd hope that they'd welcome us back.

Gottfried isn't a likeable coach, and I'm not fawning over him - don't care for him or State. But he's heads and shoulders better than Bzdick. Same with Drew.

Which is why we really ought to reconsider this whole ACC thing. We belong back in the Southern Conference. And I'd hope that they'd welcome us back.

Agree. Basically we have decided that K is an asshole, Roy isn't a good coach, and Gott is a shit bag. I would give a left nutt for any of them. So tired of this shit. Buzz is an asshole shitbag who can't coach. Get off the high horse.

I really hope this doesn't happen. Leaving the ACC would kill recruiting, would make the HC job look less desirable, etc. Less students would apply for Wake as well. They'll just go to UNC, Virginia, or State if they want ACC sports. (And for some people, it actually is kind of a big deal)

I really hope this doesn't happen. Leaving the ACC would kill recruiting, would make the HC job look less desirable, etc. Less students would apply for Wake as well. They'll just go to UNC, Virginia, or State if they want ACC sports. (And for some people, it actually is kind of a big deal)

fewer students unless you mean less qualified and in that case you would be correct.

Here's an interesting question and it should help manage our expectations.

If the Wake job and Illinois job were both open and Shaka only cared about $$ who would win the bidding war?

From the businessofcollegesports.com Illinois' athletic department turned a $1.8m profit last year and Wake broke even. They had higher revenue and higher costs.

Their attendance is 15k but revenue around $15m while Wake's attendance last year was about 9200 with revenue around $9m.

The primary driver of revenue is attendance. Illinois' (illinois's?) capacity is 16k. Even if they hire Shaka, galvanize the fan base, they stand to gain at most 1000 more asses in the seats. Also, in that report is the idea that prices are inelastic, I wish they had more stats on it but I buy the notion. Wake on the other hand has the potential to gain up to 4500 more seats. We can offset Shaka's cost with the expectation the we will sell more tickets. Illinois doesn't have the same expectation. However, the demand for the tickets is higher (based on seatgeek which tracks the price of tickets) Illinois' fanbase has a more inelastic demand and thus they could increase revenue that way. However, raising ticket prices in this climate is risky. In this area we have a hidden advantage: our friends in red and blue. Duke, UNC and NC State give us a base of ticket sales that Illinois can't count on. Many of whom will buy season tickets, go to a few WFU games but get excited over the times WFU plays the other members of the big 4. Obviously, Illinois has a large fanbase and it increases exponentially. However, we've seen that Wake's fanbase can be as rabid as any in the country.

Obviously there are more inputs of revenue but this is the easiest to calculate and the most important.

My conclusion is that while Wake is at a disadvantage in such a scenario, but the disadvantage may not be as big as some here think. We can offset a lot of Shaka's (or any big name) salary with expected revenue better than most. Just running a few examples of increases of tickets sold * expected ticket price*home games will give you an idea of what the change would be. With just these variables we generate $67 per ticket/game. Obviously there are other variables but I don't have access to them. As AD, I sure hope Wellman has an idea of the parameters of these variables because if not we're selling ourselves short in a big way.

Wake Forest has a unique brand; elite academics, competitive sports and a small campus environment. Sometimes I really feel that we're not monetizing it. A marquee coach can help with that; think Coach K Amex commercials. Guys like Shaka and Stevens have great marketing appeal nationwide.

Shaka is Smart.. He will enjoy living the good life and having a fan base that is happy to have wins.. But maybe VCU will be good enough over the years to have raised spoiled brat fans that grew up with VCU in the final four and wonder what happened and start a Shaka-Out dedicated message board.

So Duke and UNC would stand for what we are suppose to? Or are we to consider ourselves, our program, and our University second or third tier to them and just go with being awful?

Shaka is Smart.. He will enjoy living the good life and having a fan base that is happy to have wins.. But maybe VCU will be good enough over the years to have raised spoiled brat fans that grew up with VCU in the final four and wonder what happened and start a Shaka-Out dedicated message board.

A much better analogy would be idiot whiner fans who bitch about a coach like Jim Grobe after he took Wake Forest to the Orange Bowl.

You actually expect a decent analogy out of djev?!? Or any sign of intelligence for that matter?

Here's an interesting question and it should help manage our expectations.

If the Wake job and Illinois job were both open and Shaka only cared about $$ who would win the bidding war?

From the businessofcollegesports.com Illinois' athletic department turned a $1.8m profit last year and Wake broke even. They had higher revenue and higher costs.

Don't forget we were still paying Dino which is one of the reason's for breaking even only.

Back