• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Shaka...

One more time, we DO NOT have the restrictions you are projecting. If WE DID, we'd have been ALL OVER LEWIS instead of CMM. The restrictions are minimal - we are not trying to beat Kentucky for potential one and doners, kids that come into college with zero interest in getting a degree. So, JEFF TEAGUE YES MARQUIS TEAGUE NO.

BZD is ENCOURAGED to go get highly ranked kids with potential NBA futurers. He is NOT ENCOURAGED to spend recruiting dollers going after guys who are projected into the lottery of drafts following the frosh year before they set foot on a college campus. So, there are three or four kids, maybe 7 we are "RESTRICTED" from going after. We ARE NOT HOOSIERS and bobknightfan WILL NEVER be appeased.

Wrap your mind around reading and absorbing rather than projecting into some fucked up stratosphere of nonreality.

Is this policy new? AFA talked about valuing education but he certainly fit the bill of a guy who everyone knew would be jumping to the NBA sooner rather than later.

Deacon92
We had to pay Dino off. That is money that could be used to pay another coach a greater amount and reduces the funds that we have to offer someone. As stated, large donors are not contacted to buy out contracts, now if someone were to come in and say here is 10000000.00 but you have to get rid of the BB coach, there may be someone who would listen. We don't have that kind of donor at this time unless you want to step up to the plate.

Reading this thread, you'd think our HC position was vacant.

It should be (in my opinion), but it seems delusional to think that Bzz is anything but safe right now.

It should be (in my opinion), but it seems delusional to think that Bzz is anything but safe right now.

Is there anyone who actually believes Bzdick will be replaced now? I think most all of us are resigned to the fact that Bzdick will be back for at least 1 more empty Joel season. We just wish it weren't so.

It's not the money we'd have to pay [Redacted] that's stopping us from paying Shaka. That money could realized by more ticket sales

It's not the money we'd have to pay [Redacted] that's stopping us from paying Shaka. That money could realized by more ticket sales

No. You're not reading. Our AD does not pay out money on rose tinted projections. He just doesn't. We have a budget, we spend within our budget. If there is something above and beyond then there is a discussion with the President and others.

We also don't shop for coaches when we have one.

The only revenue that Wellman can comfortably project is the bump from adding Syracuse and Pitt. That dollar amount is mostly known. Couple that with Dino's money coming off the books and one less year to owe Bzd, and Wellman knows that there is no gain from searching for a coach that will be happy with $1mil per year THIS year when he'll have at least double that in a year.

Jesus we pay coaches of the major sports way too damn much.

The ACC's new TV deal went into effect for the 2011-2012 season. That's a huge bump in TV revenue right there.

Say we are competitive under Bz next season in the 18-20 win range, then we are stuck with him. The rationale will be that he has improved the record each season and by having a senior class with sophs coming back we won't have to depend on freshmen. A NCAA bid in year 4 would be seen as proof of his success. The lowered expectations for our basketball program has been a disappointing development to say the least.

One thing about watching VCU play, they just seem to be able to capitalize on momentum. They create momentum by playing really aggressive defense, getting their hands in to passing lanes, blocking shots, etc. And then they capitalize on it either by hitting shots, often in transition by kicking it outside or in the lane. They seem to get so many breaks, either a "shooter's touch" type roll or something along those lines. That floater that rattled in with about a minute and half left last night was the perfect example. But I dont take that away from them as luck. I think those types of things come down to focus, even being slightly more focused than your opponent can make all the difference. They remind me a lot of Duke to be honest. If that is no fluke, than Shaka is going to be a great coach for a long time.

Honestly, I cannot see why Shaka would leave VCU. This year he will only improve his recruiting stock there and should be getting into place to dominate the conference even if the regular season winner goes to the NIT. VCU's campus is very very nice. They have a growing student body. It is likely that he will be able to be paid out the nose and he has an opportunity to turn a school into a powerhouse in its own right. He strikes me as the kind of person who would find it very enticing not to inherit tradition but to create it. People that passionate tend to be that way.

That said, I take 50 punches to the face to get him to come to Wake.

I think you are much more likely to get Smart away from VCU than Stevens away from Butler, but I think Smart is going to move forward very cautiously. I know Grant has done pretty well at Alabama, but I wonder if he considers it a smart move today ... in fact, you might be able to swing Grant away from Alabama in a year or two. He had a difficult year. Had to suspend players which torpedoed his season ...

I think you are much more likely to get Smart away from VCU than Stevens away from Butler, but I think Smart is going to move forward very cautiously. I know Grant has done pretty well at Alabama, but I wonder if he considers it a smart move today ... in fact, you might be able to swing Grant away from Alabama in a year or two. He had a difficult year. Had to suspend players which torpedoed his season ...

Anthony Grant currently makes nearly $2MM per year. He ain't going anywhere.

"Had to suspend players which torpedoed his season ..."

How is that any different than Wake in the Bz era?

"Had to suspend players which torpedoed his season ..."

How is that any different than Wake in the Bz era?

Getting torpedoed apparently means making the Dance and leading at halftime in your 1st game after having to suspend a couple of players. I shudder to think what the contrasting metaphor might be. I'm guessing nuclear annihilation. Which would make us the Nagasaki of college hoops.

All I know is that our next hire needs to be someone from the Billy Donovan coaching tree. The record of success is just absurd. If not Grant or Smart, maybe Donnie Jones?

We're currently paying Bzz the same as Murray State pays Greg Marshall. I think Wake has more resources that Murray State.

Back