• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Shaka...

Sure I was wrong about Statichitas. Doesn't make it "bad speculation".

Good point, how the fuck is Wellman going to fire a coach for something Gary Clark did, and then let Gary Clark play for another year? Not to mention the fact that Tony Woods left Wake on his own accord, as he was reportedly only suspended from the team for a year. The further we get away from it, the more people revise Dino's tenure here, mostly because of "purple monkey dishwasher" speculation like jaybone's post. Wellman doesn't need anyone on here to defend him, especially not with bullshit.

He was suspended from the team indefinitely and from Wake Forest for a semester. My understanding is that he would have been welcomed back to the team after serving his academic suspension, although he would not have been academically eligible to play until Fall 2011.

Pretty simple. If we got Dino to agree to a much lower buyout in exchange for not saying the reason he was fired was due to a number of off the court incidence or lack of program control so that Dino's reputation wouldn't take any sort of hit, then it is possible his agent snuck something in the termination agreement that if there were some future leaks of some of this stuff then that particular clause would have to be revisited. Since the young lady was on the Today show, that would trigger the end of that part of the termination agreement.

If it is tightly worded, then it would need to be a university leak or statement which it was not. If it was loosely worded, then any sort of after the fact public blow back on Dino's tenure could trigger it ...

But it could be non-specific: If Dino takes a coaching job, then the buyout $ is less. Wellman does not mention some of the variables because he hopes Dino takes another job and lowers the buyout that way. As it is, Dino has not been seriously considered for a job though that may very welll be by choice

Pretty simple indeed.

He went to Kenyon College. My sister went there. It is very small, pretty campus above a small town in central Ohio, and has very rigorous academics. I would compare it to Davidson more than any other school. There are a couple articles out there about how he chose Kenyon over Brown and some other Ivy League schools and what that says about his character. I would think a school like Wake would appeal to him more than any other ACC school. However, VCU is nothing like Wake or Kenyon so who knows what type of program he wants to run as a coach.

But again, our job is not open to begin with so it makes no difference.

I work at Kenyon College and (I guess at all small, academically rigorous colleges) if Shaka wants somewhere like here (Kenyon), Wake would be the ideal fit. Small, academically focused, but unlike Kenyon, Wake Forest will be competing (in theory) on the national level.

However, with Harvard recruiting like they are and with so many mid-majors playing in the NCAA tournament I wonder how much more appeal the "prestige" of a program like Wake has. Additionally, many of these mid-majors are able to pay competitively, so that advantage becomes null.

Gary Clark did nothing wrong. Two consenting adults decided to have sex. One decided to blackmail the other.

Dear Shaka,

I have loved many women, sometimes several at a time, but for you I'll love no one else.

-Caturday

I work at Kenyon College and (I guess at all small, academically rigorous colleges) if Shaka wants somewhere like here (Kenyon), Wake would be the ideal fit. Small, academically focused, but unlike Kenyon, Wake Forest will be competing (in theory) on the national level.

However, with Harvard recruiting like they are and with so many mid-majors playing in the NCAA tournament I wonder how much more appeal the "prestige" of a program like Wake has. Additionally, many of these mid-majors are able to pay competitively, so that advantage becomes null.

Completely agree with this. Wellman picked the wrong time to hire two substandard coaches. Being in the ACC just isn't the overwhelming advantage it used to be. Skip's death may have been our last chance to just cherry pick the best available mid-major coach.

I've always wondered about a possible Ivy League uprising. How could you seriously turn down Harvard?

Completely agree with this. Wellman picked the wrong time to hire two substandard coaches. Being in the ACC just isn't the overwhelming advantage it used to be. Skip's death may have been our last chance to just cherry pick the best available mid-major coach.

I really don't consider Dino a hire. Our hand was forced by the need to not be huge dicks to all of our assistants.

Interim. That was the best compromise.

The Ivy League has a lot of built in advantages they haven't used in hoops yet.

I really don't consider Dino a hire. Our hand was forced by the need to not be huge dicks to all of our assistants.

Was definitely a hire. Could have named an interim and given everyone a year to find something else. Not to mention the extension. Sorry, tough situation doesn't cover up the hire.

Interim. That was the best compromise.

The Ivy League has a lot of built in advantages they haven't used in hoops yet.

Harvard and Yale could built unbelievable facilities and pay any coach anything without batting an eye. Brown's endowment isn't much more than Wake's 2B v 1.5B. That's remarkable.

Last edited:
darren rovell ‏ @darrenrovell
Shaka Smart gets bonuses for beating an ACC team, winning in the tourney, selling out home games & having games on TV.

darren rovell ‏ @darrenrovell
VCU athletic director @norwoodvcu on Shaka Smart: "We stretched ourselves to pay him an ACC-type salary or an SEC-type salary." What now?

I can't wait until someone hires this clown.

Back