• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Was Zusi the last January breakout player? Not that he's beating down any doors these days, but I remember him netting a few in January camp and leading to regular call ups.

1) Zusi was never a breakout player. :)

2) His actual break into the pool was more like 5 years ago or more, as I recall. Pre-Brazil WC. I can't recall who else has even been in those Jan camps since then.

1) Zusi was never a breakout player. :)

2) His actual break into the pool was more like 5 years ago or more, as I recall. Pre-Brazil WC. I can't recall who else has even been in those Jan camps since then.

1) He played in a WC, I'd say that qualifies

2) I'm talking about 5 years ago, pre Brazil, in a January camp. Probably look up his first NT goal and that'll be it

Appreciate all the snarky comments but I'll stick with my observations from the game. Making a bunch of excuses for these young players about the scheme and lineup is BS. This is what all you soccer noobs have been doing on this board for all the years I've been following. You guys all follow these players. I don't. But I've followed soccer longer than most of you have been alive. if all these young players you guys have talked about were any good they certainly would have broken into the USMNT or something better than an MLS club over the last decade or two. They haven't, except for Pulisic, Brooks, Dempsey, and Bobby Wood. Michael Bradley and JozY Altidore couldn't cut it and left Europe. We have great athletes in the US. We have some great soccer athletes coming thru the youth system. I've watched them in person for over twenty years. But few, if any have ever become the quality of player who will help change US Soccer. The players last night are a prime example.

Appreciate all the snarky comments but I'll stick with my observations from the game. Making a bunch of excuses for these young players about the scheme and lineup is BS. This is what all you soccer noobs have been doing on this board for all the years I've been following. You guys all follow these players. I don't. But I've followed soccer longer than most of you have been alive. if all these young players you guys have talked about were any good they certainly would have broken into the USMNT or something better than an MLS club over the last decade or two. They haven't, except for Pulisic, Brooks, Dempsey, and Bobby Wood. Michael Bradley and JozY Altidore couldn't cut it and left Europe. We have great athletes in the US. We have some great soccer athletes coming thru the youth system. I've watched them in person for over twenty years. But few, if any have ever become the quality of player who will help change US Soccer. The players last night are a prime example.

Care to bet?

So what's the solution? Better coaching at the youth level? Identifying promising players at a younger age and tracking them into academies that can teach (e.g. in Europe)?

My comments weren't snarky. If you want to do lots of hand wringing about a January camp that only includes domestic players in the off-season, be my guest. The fact that you think Adams had no impact on the match offers more insight on you than him.

Bradley was a starter in Germany and Italy. He decided he wanted to come home and play, like Dempsey and others. Not saying his career there was great, the Aston Villa thing was a mess. But the guy that started at Borussia and Roma is not the poster boy for "not cutting it in Europe"

I've played soccer for 45 years at a pretty high level. Still do. So spare me with your "longer than most of you have been alive" horseshit.

Aron Johannsson with a pretty cheeky goal today. He's being playing pretty well as of late.

Back