• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Yedlin as turned into a monster
Pulisic is pulisic
Jozy is the most important piece in the USMNT cog. Where’s the haters?

I'm guessing I'm one of the haters. Great performance yesterday, but I wasn't slobbering over Jozy like everyone else. Some intelligent movement, but all credit really goes to Pulisic. Pulisic's goal came from a bad Jozy pass that was well behind Pulisic that Christian turned into a brilliant individual piece of skill. Then Jozy made a nice run in behind for his first and timed it well but it was a tap in on a 20 yard inch perfect pass on the ground (that Jozy still hit the keeper on with half the goal wide open). And then he converted a penalty Wood earned. A competent striker's performance, but to say he was more important than Pulisic is dumb.

Arriola was more creative, Yedlin was fantastic. Wood was by far the more impactful of the striker pair. I'm not taking anything away from the performance, but what was Panama thinking setting up so aggressively? Nobody should play that openly against us in a must-win. They didn't force us to break them down at all, we had tons of space in channels and beat them with straightforward pace.

well said; I wanted Wood to get the penalty but of course that won't happen

Panama's tactics were head-scratchingly awful; when the other team makes a non-injury substitution in the first 25 minutes, you have been given a gift

I'm guessing I'm one of the haters. Great performance yesterday, but I wasn't slobbering over Jozy like everyone else. Some intelligent movement, but all credit really goes to Pulisic. Pulisic's goal came from a bad Jozy pass that was well behind Pulisic that Christian turned into a brilliant individual piece of skill. Then Jozy made a nice run in behind for his first and timed it well but it was a tap in on a 20 yard inch perfect pass on the ground (that Jozy still hit the keeper on with half the goal wide open). And then he converted a penalty Wood earned. A competent striker's performance, but to say he was more important than Pulisic is dumb.

Arriola was more creative, Yedlin was fantastic. Wood was by far the more impactful of the striker pair. I'm not taking anything away from the performance, but what was Panama thinking setting up so aggressively? Nobody should play that openly against us in a must-win. They didn't force us to break them down at all, we had tons of space in channels and beat them with straightforward pace.
Nailed it

While Jozy's pass that set up Pulisic wasn't perfect, I think under the circumstances calling it "bad" isn't fair. Pulisic did make a terrific touch to control the ball. But Jozy and Pulisic were moving in completely opposite directions, Jozy had to control the pass with one touch with a defender on his back and Pulisic was basically just sprinting full speed into the gap. Timing on the play was very narrow to pull it off at all. Jozy and Pulisic both deserve credit.

Netherlands basically eliminated today with Sweden's 8-0 win (assuming they don't close Sweden's 14 goal differential lead over their last 2 games)

Lloris just made a ridiculous save to keep France ahead. They've dominated but a tie puts them in a world of trouble.

Costa Rica grabs a big equalizer for our WC hopes. Just need a draw at T&T to advance now. Wouldn't expect Mexico or CR to do us any favors Tuesday.

90'+5 equalizer. Certainly takes a lot of the pressure off.

Which is good b/c I want to be able to watch the South America craziness

Costa Rica grabs a big equalizer for our WC hopes. Just need a draw at T&T to advance now. Wouldn't expect Mexico or CR to do us any favors Tuesday.

Exactly. We have to take care of our own business.

Well, the moat does keep the black knight at bay.

101_10.jpg

Back