• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Kinda interesting giving Ramos' comments on the Gonzalez thing a day or two ago, which was essentially: if you feel Mexican, play for Mexico. If you feel American, play for the US. I guess Tillman felt American.

His younger brother plays in our youth set up as well. Maybe he wanted to play with him one day?

Well, I care. I look forward to watching guys we've not seen in US shirts show us what they can do.

Me too. Not a particularly exciting game by any stretch, but I really enjoyed seeing Opara play very well throughout. Trapp was solid if unexciting. Adams continues to show he has real potential. Morris disappointed some.

But, we ain't playing in the tourny that matters this year, so every chance we get to pull guys together and see who we have that can help us qualify for the next one and be part of this team's future is worth it. I don't really care who we play.

Me too. Not a particularly exciting game by any stretch, but I really enjoyed seeing Opara play very well throughout. Trapp was solid if unexciting. Adams continues to show he has real potential. Morris disappointed some.

But, we ain't playing in the tourny that matters this year, so every chance we get to pull guys together and see who we have that can help us qualify for the next one and be part of this team's future is worth it. I don't really care who we play.

I too thought Opara looked good. Hate the fact that he's already 28 and due to injuries and other things, he's really missed his window.

I really like Adams.

Morris. Ugh. Painful to watch at times. It's like he's forgotten how to be a footballer. Maybe his athleticism hid the fact that he never was one, I don't know, but I do know that he gets in positions to set up opportunities and does nothing. There was one particular time when he had the ball in a dangerous position on the left, at the end of the box or perhaps in it, and just stopped and chipped a ball to nowhere.

Morris will be great moving forward in B team Gold Cups and non-FIFA date friendlies. I don't think he offers much at WCQ or high level competitions.

Morris will be great moving forward in B team Gold Cups and non-FIFA date friendlies. I don't think he offers much at WCQ or high level competitions.

this is crazy to me since he was arguably the best college player in 2015. Also, his performance is kind of emblematic of the problems with U.S. soccer. You would think that our elite college players could (should?) be able to compete internationally.

this is crazy to me since he was arguably the best college player in 2015. Also, his performance is kind of emblematic of the problems with U.S. soccer. You would think that our elite college players could (should?) be able to compete internationally.

The best young American talent doesn't generally go to college, and if they do its only for a year. Morris should have gone overseas when he had the chance a few years back. He'll be nothing more than a B squad player for the National Team. Really hoping that Sargent, Haji Wright, or some other young ST playing overseas claims his minutes ASAP.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing watching our guys last night. Tyler Adams gets all the pre-match hype and then is totally invisible. No effect on the match at all. The very disturbing fact is that the US has very few players who demonstrate the technical abilities or sense of the game to compete on the international level aside from Pulisic and John Brooks. Opara did a servicable job, and happy for him to earn his cap, but the rest of the side was forgettable. Best players "playing soccer" last night were clearly BIH. Not complaining here, just not feeling optimistic about our future right now.

Pretty disappointing watching our guys last night. Tyler Adams gets all the pre-match hype and then is totally invisible. No effect on the match at all. The very disturbing fact is that the US has very few players who demonstrate the technical abilities or sense of the game to compete on the international level aside from Pulisic and John Brooks. Opara did a servicable job, and happy for him to earn his cap, but the rest of the side was forgettable. Best players "playing soccer" last night were clearly BIH. Not complaining here, just not feeling optimistic about our future right now.

Damn, really down in the program right now. Think there’s any chance we miss the WC?

Tyler Adams gets all the pre-match hype and then is totally invisible. No effect on the match at all.

Relax. Without a 10, Adams was asked to play that role even though that's not who he is or what he does. So yeah, he wasn't a playmaking wizard dropping pinpoint passes to put guys in on goal, or breaking teams down in the final 3rd. He's not another Pulisic. He's more like McKennie.

I don't know if I can recall a January camp that resulted in a stellar performance. It's always US-based guys playing out-of-season. It's always a bit of an eyesore. In years we make the WC quarters, in years we don't even make the WC.

Relax. Without a 10, Adams was asked to play that role even though that's not who he is or what he does. So yeah, he wasn't a playmaking wizard dropping pinpoint passes to put guys in on goal, or breaking teams down in the final 3rd. He's not another Pulisic. He's more like McKennie.

I don't know if I can recall a January camp that resulted in a stellar performance. It's always US-based guys playing out-of-season. It's always a bit of an eyesore. In years we make the WC quarters, in years we don't even make the WC.

Was Zusi the last January breakout player? Not that he's beating down any doors these days, but I remember him netting a few in January camp and leading to regular call ups.

Back