• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

When did Bill Hamid become scared of his shadow?

He hasn't ever been good. He was a decent 20 year old prospect that never got better. Shocking a guy who can't find minutes had no confidence or presence. Overall though not a terrible performance against a fairly experienced Ireland team. Yedlin was the only big disappointment I thought (apart from Hamid which I expected).

When did Bill Hamid become scared of his shadow?

I’ve said it before but watching him with DC United for many years was eye opening. He makes saves that the best in the world maybe make then gives up a FK goal a foot to his right. It all evens out over a MLS season but I never thought he could make it with the NT.

I’ve said it before but watching him with DC United for many years was eye opening. He makes saves that the best in the world maybe make then gives up a FK goal a foot to his right. It all evens out over a MLS season but I never thought he could make it with the NT.

Yeah, athleticism and reactions made him known but he never developed positioning, aerial dominance or the ability to organize. Those things are obvious at a high level.

Most interesting to me was learning US Soccer is just run by a small old boys network who broker everything. Doesn’t sound like anything will be changing

Assuming we qualify for the next world cup, any guess as to who projects as the starting keeper? If it's not Hamid, are there other emerging options to feel good about?

which program will get out from under an oppressive, ineffectual regime first? US Soccer or WFU Basketball

You'd think it would be US Soccer since they have no competition for the best eligible players. But when you factor in lousy coaching and the fact that most of the "best eligible players" aren't really that good, then I guess it's a coin flip. Sadly, I'm probably too old to see either one in my lifetime. I'm always hopeful, but with age comes realism.

I apologize in advance for this exercise but if we were in the world cup, what would our lineup look like game one?

---------Howard------------
Yedlin - Cameron - Ream - Villafana
Nagbe - Bradley - McKennie - Pulisic
------Altidore -- Wood--------

Yeah. At this current moment, def.

Seems like everybody's putting out thinkpieces about US soccer at the mo. I guess if we had found a way not to lose to T&T those wouldn't be out right now, but they'd be coming b/c Russia woulda been a disaster if we made it

I apologize in advance for this exercise but if we were in the world cup, what would our lineup look like game one?

---------Howard------------
Yedlin - Cameron - Ream - Villafana
Nagbe - Bradley - McKennie - Pulisic
------Altidore -- Wood--------

Puke. Almost makes me feel better about missing the World Cup though, cause I don’t ever want to see 5 of those guys in a US shirt again

Julian Green has being unsurprisingly anonymous in theis 5-3-2. Bring on Sargent or Weah for him a HT.

Back