• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Pulisic isn't committed to the USMNT moving forward wow wow wowwww!!!!!

Finally read the Ives article. What a douchy take. The only people who are genuinely upset at Pulisic sitting out meaningless experimental money grab matches which are being led by a caretaker manager are the people working for SUM. Gotta think those are his "sources".

And the assertion that Pulisic's club soccer shouldn't be his immediate priority is pure idiocy. The best way for him to develop into a transcendent world class player is for him to feature regularly for Dortmund, not play 90 minutes in meaningless friendlies were the opponent is rolling out a b/c team or playing at 60%. Gotta think Ives' connections with SUM and MLS (who still run US Soccer) fed him this angle. Not surprising from those hacks at all. Meet the new boss (Cordero), same as the old boss.

^ I use to enjoy his coverage, but that piece is indefensible. As to tonight's game:

Steffen
Yedlin-CCV-Miazga-Brooks-Robinson
Adams-Trapp-McKennie
Green-Wood

That's my guess to our Starting XI. Very similar to the way we played France. Weah comes on as a sub in the second half and then starts on the wing against Mexico when we switch to a 4-1-4-1

I think Weah starts tonight, he's the poster boy with Puli filing paper work for mexico

The Pulisic article was douchey, but I thought the Stewart article was insightful. Particularly this part:

"That’s the intention, that they’re based out of Chicago," Stewart said. "One of the thing that’s very important is I think you have to communicate every single day. I realize that you can communicate through computers, and on the phone, but it’s not the same as sitting across from each other in a room and having a conversation."

When asked whether potential candidates might be turned off by the requirement of having to live in Chicago, as opposed to the Los Angeles area, where the past three USMNT coaches resided, Stewart didn't see it as being an obstacle for him to find the right candidate.

"I don’t think it’d be healthy that somebody sits down at a table and we find a discussion with ourselves and he says, ‘I want to live on the beach and be there most of my time,'" Stewart said. "Then I don’t think it’s the right choice. Apart from him not wanting it, I don't think we'd want it either."

Well, I was close. Green instead of Weah. Robinson instead of Lichaj

Steffen
Yedlin Brooks Miazga Robinson
Arriola Adams Trapp McKennie Green
Wood

Sad to see my boy get beat down the wing there, but Jesus Christ this set up is terrible.

Gonna be 3, 4-0. Zero creativity.

Arriola really sucks. Never understood him EVER being included in the senior team for any reason. Hopefully his tryout is over soon.

Official US Soccer Thread (The nightmare is over?)

First time watching since Trinidad. How can a nation of 330,000,000 people be so bad at a sport when we are so good at so many other sports?

Sorry I should say a nation of 165,000,000 dudes because the women looked great against Chile this week.

Meh I didn’t actually think we looked that bad. The tactics were just shit, our two wing players Green and Arriola are squad players at best, but must everyone else looked decent. We did benefit from Brazil playing at 60-70%, which anybody who paid $100+ for this meaningless ticket should have seen coming.

If expect a more balanced and motivated squad on Tuesday night against Mexico. It may also be friendly, however the effort and determination will be cranked up a notch on both sides.

Agree Bill. We ran a young patchwork squad out against basically a World Cup starting 11 for Brazil. They scored a nice goal and got a PK. Let’s not get carried away.

Liked what Miazga did. Saw some good things from McKennie and Adams. Interested to see what we bring to Mexico game

eternally positive

OK, whatever. I didn't say we'd win the World Cup; I simply said we'd be just fine.

G - I like Steffen. Despite what Stu said the other night, Guzan won't be in goal in 2022 IMO. There is a lot of time between now and Qatar - Klinsmann could be in the mix, too.

D - I thought Miazga played well the other night. He's young. Brooks is obviously talented. CCV will be in the mix. Yedlin is a PL regular; Robinson has all of the tools IMO to make it there as well. If Jeremy Toljan chooses the US, which is a distinct possibility, we're even better in the back four.

MF - Pulisic is world class. We all know that. Weston McKennie is a regular in a top Bundesliga side. I think we'll see Tyler Adams in Europe sooner rather than later and there's a reason - he's good. That said, this is probably our biggest area of worry and where young guys like Acosta, Taitague, Trapp, Hyndman, etc...really need to grow their games.

F - Sargent. Weah. Altidore (he'll still be a viable option in 2022).

All joking aside, do you not see these players (and there are many others whom I've not mentioned who could make the jump in the next 3 + years), under the right system, as being competent enough to win football matches?

Back