• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

How did we totally blow that final? UP 2-0 ASDFJKL:

I agree completely with your last part. Our younger players have so much more potential than even 4 years ago.

Only 7 of the guys on the 2006 WC roster are still making the roster today. And 2 of those 7 never see the field. There's gonna be some younger guys making serious runs at spots which look locked up right now. If I had to guess, I'd say 8 or 9 max of the guys on our roster this past WC will be there in Brazil.

That isn't necessarily a good thing.

That isn't necessarily a good thing.

Obviously, if it means they're more talented, it's a good thing. If the other guys have dropped off that much, it's a bad thing. But I think we'll be more talented in 3 years time. A large part of whether we're ready or not comes down to our coach's selections during qualifying. I think we need to be willing to take risks. We should be able to beat all but 3 or 4 sides home or away with our younger players. And I think our younger guys will be more able to beat the teams that pack it in because they're better on the ball and playing a possession style, which is huge against the minnows of CONCACAF. You have to be patient and know you'll find the net eventually. Counterattacking and playing quick attacking football will lead to lots of missed chances and possible letdowns on their counter.

Hopefully there's just a bit of a generation gap happening right now and new players will emerge in the next 2-3 years, because our talent pool seems to be drying up right now.

Also random, tell me that Bedoya doesn't look and play like Angel Di Maria's a lot less good twin. I defy anyone to think that isn't true (I think Bedoya is a decent little player ftr). They are even both really sucky divers

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has recommended SAF to take FK Molde youngsters Joshua Gatt and Sean Cunningham on trial at MU. Gatt is a 19 year old winger, Cunningham is a 18 year old left back.

I've watched a bit in the past. Seems like we rely too much on ______ (our big forward) and lack ideas otherwise. Probably wrong though

Hopefully there's just a bit of a generation gap happening right now and new players will emerge in the next 2-3 years, because our talent pool seems to be drying up right now.

Agree with the generation gap. I think we're deeper now on capable players, but we haven't identified the top end players that will be able to replace LD/Dempsey/anyone else you might want to put in that group.

I'm officially finished being excited about any American U-17's, or even U-20's for that matter. They NEVER pan out.

Back