Page 2058 of 2068 FirstFirst ... 1058155819582008204820532054205520562057205820592060206120622063 ... LastLast
Results 41,141 to 41,160 of 41357

Thread: Official Christian Pulisic / Burn it to the ground thread

Dempsey needed help from teammates' families to keep playing back in the day. Otherwise parents had decided to back his sister's tennis career over his soccer exploits

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    My parents made huge sacrifices for me to be able to play classic and premiere (dunno if that's still the nomenclature) in NC. We weren't rich per se but that shit is so expensive, I know parents who couldn't make it happen when our team was promoted to the highest level and traveled out of state for tournaments. Equipment isn't even a drop in the bucket. We practiced on some pretty shit fields too.
    Twins do have an amazing complex now with 14 (could argue 15, but I'd disagree) really great fields to train on each and every week.

Premiere is still a thing and is the upper echelon of Classic teams. Then you have Academy above that where kids that play that aren't even allowed to play in High School, so kids have to choose between the two.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

Hopefully within the next few years the US Soccer can implement a soccer development program on par with those programs apparently already in effect in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Iceland. Hope that's not too high a bar.

Yes pay for play is a major hinderance for many promising youth players, however I'd argue our youth programs have never been in better shape. We are competitive at the U-17 and U-20 level, however that doesn't seem to be transferring over to the MNT or the U-23's who have missed the last two Olympics.

Why you ask? Because 80% of MLS teams do not play the promising youth players who have come through their academies. Instead of giving their 16-21 talent a chance to grow into professional soccer, they buy cheap proven Central and Southern American talent instead. Those players are marginally better in the short-term and they enable coaches and front office staff to stay employed.

However it is ruining a majority of out talent who appear to be headed for greatness in the youth ranks, but end up missing out on playing time during their most important formidable years. England is currently experiencing a similar problem in the EPL. They just won the U-20 World Cup and the kids are barely getting a sniff in the EPL. Its why I'd encourage every current US U-17 to do what Pulisic and now Sargent have done, and move to Germany. They bombed out of Euro 2000, realized that their needed to make systematic change, and the Bundesliga and national federation agreed to make playing youth a priority (among other things)

ITC = Apocalypse Dumbass
    Up until this fall I had two kids playing Charlotte United. Shit's expensive. Now it's one at Charlotte United and one at Charlotte Ambush (field hockey). Same deal.

Those costs don't include summer camp either.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    I want to fucking strangle Bruce Arena. Ugh.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/10/...ion-explained/

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Honest question - how do they do it in other countries? Send the promising kids to full time academies that are paid for by the national federation?
    Kids at young ages sign contracts of varying forms at professional clubs in their area, and the clubs then can profit off the players development later on (when they are transfered to a bigger team, etc).

This encourages the clubs to focus on development of the players, since their income stream is tied to producing good players. US clubs revenue streams are largely based on having enough players paying money to belong, and that's just ass backwards.

Take for example Toni Kroos in Germany. He started as a kid playing for Griefswalder SV 04 in his tiny hometown near the Polish border. When he was 12 he moved to Hansa Rostock, a bigger club. When he was 16 he moved again to Bayern Munich and Rostock got a cool €2.5m (Griefswalder then received a portion of that for developing him as a child).

Everyone on the chain had a financial incentive to make sure Kroos improved and maximized his talent, not to just get paid by his parents.

ummmm how did the GK let that free kikc in from THAT angle?
    Football. Bloody Hell.

Wow. That's a decent goal.

ITC = Apocalypse Dumbass
    Oh, and I'm under no illusion that my son is playing college or USMNT soccer. Just giving him a chance to develop and enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimivich View Post
    Kids at young ages sign contracts of varying forms at professional clubs in their area, and the clubs then can profit off the players development later on (when they are transfered to a bigger team, etc).

This encourages the clubs to focus on development of the players, since their income stream is tied to producing good players. US clubs revenue streams are largely based on having enough players paying money to belong, and that's just ass backwards.

Take for example Toni Kroos in Germany. He started as a kid playing for Griefswalder SV 04 in his tiny hometown near the Polish border. When he was 12 he moved to Hansa Rostock, a bigger club. When he was 16 he moved again to Bayern Munich and Rostock got a cool €2.5m (Griefswalder then received a portion of that for developing him as a child).

Everyone on the chain had a financial incentive to make sure Kroos improved and maximized his talent, not to just get paid by his parents.
    True story... I once coached a team with 13 players on the full time roster and we had to double-roster players from an age group down to make sure we had enough subs at each home game. But we trained with 13 players. That was fun.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

ITC = Apocalypse Dumbass
    Quote Originally Posted by deacvision7 View Post
    True story... I once coached a team with 13 players on the full time roster and we had to double-roster players from an age group down to make sure we had enough subs at each home game. But we trained with 13 players. That was fun.
    We've got 11 for 9v9 so we have 2 subs when everyone shows (U11). We've borrowed one player on occasion.

Dickie Hemric
    And to double down on the development issue - MLS and USSF keep fighting to not pay the fees to youth clubs, even though they are in the FIFA regulations.

Jordan Morris, for example, would have generated about $250k for his youth club once he signed with MLS ... but since USSF/MLS refuse to comply with solidarity and development payments, his childhood club got nothing for the development work they did with him. It's a really fucked situation.

Can read a bit more about the legal cases here: https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...g-compensation

seems rather dumb to not reward folks that feed quality players to the national team.

guess our system is rather ass backwards from what has been said here.
    Craig is seen as the trouble maker.

disaster in the U17 WC. Colombia score a 3rd and Ghana just scored a 3rd and 4th

US sitting even with Colombia for 2nd/3rd and will draw lots as things stand. Ghana 1st.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Every week I find myself reading these boards thinking "that's peak Ph, there's no way he can out-stupid himself this time" and every fucking week I am wrong. How the hell do you do it? It's honestly impressive
    It really is amazing.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Pretty clearly this. If soccer was being played in the hood like hoops, we'd be fucking awesome at it, probably the best in the world. If it was played in the suburbs and countryside like football, we'd be fucking awesome at it. Its best hope for the past several years has been to tap the best kids from the soccer mom suburbs. That isn't going to cut it. The most athletic kids are still playing hoops and football by a long shot. Soccer gets to compete with baseball and hockey for the rest. It's different for girls because their only competition is hoops, but you can look at the USWNT and still see that it's very much a middle and upper class game in the US with the girls too (translation: lots of white chicks playing soccer).

We can point to the tangled financial interests of MLS or lack of an AAU style system, but until Americans at all income levels care about soccer, it's marginal at best.
    Thanks for the hottest of hot takes, elc.

Saying you're oversimplifying this with your "if soccer was being played in the hood like hoops" comments would be an insult to simpletons.

Quote Originally Posted by deacvision7 View Post
    disaster in the U17 WC. Colombia score a 3rd and Ghana just scored a 3rd and 4th

US sitting even with Colombia for 2nd/3rd and will draw lots as things stand. Ghana 1st.
    tiebreakers include head to head after overall GD so we're third

I thought that was weird too, but the announcers keep saying it would go to lots.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

Either way, US still through as one of the best 3rd place teams with 6 points thanks to winning their opening two matches.

hahahhaha... announcers just said that Colombia do finish 2nd. Corrected.
    Football. Bloody Hell.