• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Never really understood why EVERYTHING had to be VAR reviewed. Seems they could've taken a page out of the NFL's book and only reviewed black-and-white stuff (changing slightly this year with pass-interference reviews). Launching right into reviewing everything was always a bad idea.

VAR was applied well at the men's World Cup but that likely had to do with having such top-notch refereeing. I'm guessing the levels of assessing women's soccer ref performance are not as rigorous

uhhhhhh, following the way the nfl does replays is never a good idea

If you're going to use VAR to determine if the GK is on her line, put a camera on the line.

If you're going to use VAR to determine if the GK is on her line, put a camera on the line.

Agreed. Although there's a shot of the Scottish keeper a good foot off the line as the ball is struck taken from behind the goal. Loads of space between her and the line. So it was an easy call to make from that angle.

Was watching Argentina Paraguay in the Copa America and Paraguay was awarded a penalty. The ref was obviously talking tohArmani about not leaving the line early. He saved it anyway and they didn't take a look (nor did Paraguay claim he left early). It is obviously a point of focus in all these tourneys. Still say it will be a cluster when you get to a shootout.

Interesting take.

I think the much more interesting thing to watch going forward is how the MLS academies do in terms of producing top level pros. Those academies are getting significant investment and they are leading to call ups to senior teams and sending kids to clubs overseas once they are old enough. If you look at the current U17 team, almost every player is in an MLS academy (and a couple have already played in MLS). If you look at where guys from the U17 team of a couple of years ago are now, some are in college, some are overseas and some are in MLS. And then consider moves of guys like McKennie, Richards, Davies (I know, Canada) who all spent time in MLS acadamies. And you look at the recent success of academy teams in international competitions - the Sounders or was it the Galaxy just won a pretty significant event against some top level international teams (telling you there is potential in some of the players here).

Another thing to keep an eye on is if MLS forces the issue and starts demanding compensation for kids who leave for Europe for the investment they've made in their players. That's the norm globally. Does that dry up interest significantly and does it matter - i.e. - clubs will pay to get their hands on those they view as "can't miss" regardless, but what about guys who are viewed as "flyers" do they (we) lose out or does it still pan out ok. I think Yedlin's youth club has even brought a lawsuit looking to be compensated for the work they did with him - and he wasn't in the Sounders academy (I don't know if it even existed back then).

Agreed. Although there's a shot of the Scottish keeper a good foot off the line as the ball is struck taken from behind the goal. Loads of space between her and the line. So it was an easy call to make from that angle.

That doesn't jive at all with the sideline angle.

That doesn't jive at all with the sideline angle.

I took a screen shot of it I can send you. It's not even close. The Scotland coach was critical of the fact the lead up to the penalty occurred when the ref didn't let a player come on for them and they had just 10 players on the field. She did not claim VAR got the final call on the penalty retake wrong even as she was critical of that blown lead up to the penalty and the overall officiating. It's the third time that same call has been made in this tourney. Can't wait for a penalty shootout that takes a half hour to complete as they review various kicks for this.

I don't know much about soccer, so I'm coming to the board for the answer to this question: Why does Rapinoe start? From what I've seen she makes shit passes, doesn't seem to hustle and can't finish shots. Kinda like when we tried to play Wambauch her last time playing, it was obvious she was slower than all the other girls. Makes me wonder if its just because rapinoes been around a while.

Back