• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Kids at young ages sign contracts of varying forms at professional clubs in their area, and the clubs then can profit off the players development later on (when they are transfered to a bigger team, etc).

This encourages the clubs to focus on development of the players, since their income stream is tied to producing good players. US clubs revenue streams are largely based on having enough players paying money to belong, and that's just ass backwards.

Take for example Toni Kroos in Germany. He started as a kid playing for Griefswalder SV 04 in his tiny hometown near the Polish border. When he was 12 he moved to Hansa Rostock, a bigger club. When he was 16 he moved again to Bayern Munich and Rostock got a cool €2.5m (Griefswalder then received a portion of that for developing him as a child).

Everyone on the chain had a financial incentive to make sure Kroos improved and maximized his talent, not to just get paid by his parents.

True story... I once coached a team with 13 players on the full time roster and we had to double-roster players from an age group down to make sure we had enough subs at each home game. But we trained with 13 players. That was fun.

True story... I once coached a team with 13 players on the full time roster and we had to double-roster players from an age group down to make sure we had enough subs at each home game. But we trained with 13 players. That was fun.

We've got 11 for 9v9 so we have 2 subs when everyone shows (U11). We've borrowed one player on occasion.

And to double down on the development issue - MLS and USSF keep fighting to not pay the fees to youth clubs, even though they are in the FIFA regulations.

Jordan Morris, for example, would have generated about $250k for his youth club once he signed with MLS ... but since USSF/MLS refuse to comply with solidarity and development payments, his childhood club got nothing for the development work they did with him. It's a really fucked situation.

Can read a bit more about the legal cases here: https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...lubs-lawsuit-solidarity-training-compensation

disaster in the U17 WC. Colombia score a 3rd and Ghana just scored a 3rd and 4th

US sitting even with Colombia for 2nd/3rd and will draw lots as things stand. Ghana 1st.

Pretty clearly this. If soccer was being played in the hood like hoops, we'd be fucking awesome at it, probably the best in the world. If it was played in the suburbs and countryside like football, we'd be fucking awesome at it. Its best hope for the past several years has been to tap the best kids from the soccer mom suburbs. That isn't going to cut it. The most athletic kids are still playing hoops and football by a long shot. Soccer gets to compete with baseball and hockey for the rest. It's different for girls because their only competition is hoops, but you can look at the USWNT and still see that it's very much a middle and upper class game in the US with the girls too (translation: lots of white chicks playing soccer).

We can point to the tangled financial interests of MLS or lack of an AAU style system, but until Americans at all income levels care about soccer, it's marginal at best.

Thanks for the hottest of hot takes, elc.

Saying you're oversimplifying this with your "if soccer was being played in the hood like hoops" comments would be an insult to simpletons.

disaster in the U17 WC. Colombia score a 3rd and Ghana just scored a 3rd and 4th

US sitting even with Colombia for 2nd/3rd and will draw lots as things stand. Ghana 1st.

tiebreakers include head to head after overall GD so we're third

I thought that was weird too, but the announcers keep saying it would go to lots.

Either way, US still through as one of the best 3rd place teams with 6 points thanks to winning their opening two matches.

hahahhaha... announcers just said that Colombia do finish 2nd. Corrected.

FIFA U17 Regulations, page 23

The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:
a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerned;
g) greater number of points obtained in the fair play conduct of the teams
based on yellow and red cards received in all group matches as follows:
– fi rst yellow card: minus 1 point
– second yellow/indirect red card: minus 3 points
– direct red card: minus 4 points
– yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
Only one of the above deductions shall be applied to a player in a single
match.
h) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

The best part of PH and ELC's income/race based hot takes are that they completely ignore the interests of the largest ethnic minority group in our country

It really is amazing.

What's your take on the pay to play system in and around Charlotte? Seems like you have as much experience as anyone on this topic, I'm curious. I never played growing up and obviously don't have kids yet so I'm fairly ignorant on the topic.

The real problem is that we call a system an "academy system" when it's not even close to what's offered overseas.

Here's the other problem: soccer is obviously the national support in virtually every nation on earth but America. Add to that a system, in place forever, that runs entirely counter to the traditional professional sports "franchise" model in America, and it's difficult. Yes, we're rich. Yes, we have great athletes. However, in Europe for example, the tier system essentially nurtures players from cradle to the end of their careers. We don't have that here. We have a league without promotion/relegation, which means lower level clubs have no means by which to grow, which means that feeder clubs don't develop and aren't funded in the same manner. We have unique obstacles here, namely geography, but I really do think if we had a soccer pyramid in place that wasn't dysfunctional, we'd see the growth we all desire.

Last edited:
The best part of PH and ELC's income/race based hot takes are that they completely ignore the interests of the largest ethnic minority group in our country

Explain.

What's your take on the pay to play system in and around Charlotte? Seems like you have as much experience as anyone on this topic, I'm curious. I never played growing up and obviously don't have kids yet so I'm fairly ignorant on the topic.

I think that there's no question that our model prevents many potentially great players from being discovered. I think that the politics involved with the current academy system also keep our best current players from meeting their potential. It's going to take some dynamic, truly out of the box thinking to achieve what's possible. The hoops comparisons amuse me because the games are apples and oranges IMO. I can become a dead one long range shooter in hoops almost entirely on my own, but juggling a soccer ball by myself or practicing bending upper 90 free kicks won't help me much in open play in a soccer game. I think we need to find a way to involve communities more. Not sure what they means or how we'll do it, but I do believe if we can eliminate financial barriers and politics, we can't achieve what seems so distant right now.

I believe it's called "the hispanic community"

LOL. If US Soccer was effectively reaching out to Latinos and developing them, we wouldn't be in this situation, would we?

The simplicity of siff and Brasky's takes seem to ignore that if they're talking about Latinos growing up in the US in the pay to play system.

Back