• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Hard to take anything away from this as this is our B/C squad, but man are we sloppy in the ball.

Long and CCV have looked good, and I’m reminded how good of hold up player/flick on master 18 year Josh Sargent is

Everyone else has been pretty meh, and I personally think Delgado has been horrid

The lack of a viable left back is the biggest crisis facing our nation.

Very clear over last two matches that without Adams/McKennie/Pulisic in midfield we get pushed around far too easily in the midfield. Peru has had possession too easily in the center mid

Yeah I was hoping my boi Antonee was ready, but he's clearly not. At least not at LB. I think he's be much better in a LWB position.

Which brings me back to why the US hasn't used a 3/5 man backline more frequently. I think it would suit our current personnel very well. Particularly our lack of second winger to play alongside CP (I see Weah as more of a second striker) and the defensive awareness of our FBs.

Current starters (replacements):

GK: Steffen (Guzan)
CB:CCV-Miazga-Brooks (Long, Parker)
WB: Yedlin & Robinson (Moore/Cannon & Villafana or hopefully someone else)
CM: McKennie & Adams (Acosta & Trapp)
#10/free role - Pulisic (Green)
FWDs: Altidore & Wood (Sargent, Weah)

You could also shift it into a 5-2-3 with Weah and Pulisic out wide and Altidore or Sargent playing at the #9.

Last edited:
Bradley is nothing more than a passenger when we're not in possession. Provides zero pressure/work rate and stands around points at others.

I don't need to see him anymore. The international game has passed him by. He's just too slow and stubborn.

Thanks for being my Twitter account tonight boards.

Hoping to see an actual manager and Pulisic, Adams and McKennie at Wembley next month. Although I could see Adams being held out if the NYRB are making a playoff run.

I'll say it again for an 18 year old Josh Sargent is so nice on the ball

Kid continues to impress. Goal was a bit of luck, but good strikers make their own luck. And he had some really clever touches on the ball. The flick to Acosta in the box that Acosta had a heavy touch on and wasted. Had a great touch to send in Amon from midfield which Amon failed to exploit and then missed Weah on. Had some nice hold up play. Made some mistakes, but man the kid has real potential.

I've been down on CCV as I just haven't been impressed by his decision making in previous games, but I thought he did ok tonight.

Kid continues to impress. Goal was a bit of luck, but good strikers make their own luck. And he had some really clever touches on the ball. The flick to Acosta in the box that Acosta had a heavy touch on and wasted. Had a great touch to send in Amon from midfield which Amon failed to exploit and then missed Weah on. Had some nice hold up play. Made some mistakes, but man the kid has real potential.

I've been down on CCV as I just haven't been impressed by his decision making in previous games, but I thought he did ok tonight.

Sargent is very, very impressive for an 18 year old. I will be disappointed if he's not leading the line for us for the next decade.

Sargent is very, very impressive for an 18 year old. I will be disappointed if he's not leading the line for us for the next decade.

Sargent was the brightest spot. His work rate and touch were impressive. Weah was ok until he got tired in the second half, needs age and experience. I'm done with Acosta. He's a bencher at best when McKennie, Adams and Pulisic are available. Can't afford to start him just because he "might" put in a good free kick, since he never wins or keeps the ball. There are hopes that some of these young guys will grow into real starters like Pulisic has, but truthfully we need new coaching to break us out of the old USA identity of work hard, steal a goal and then try to defend it. The last 40 minutes of the second half were just the same old USA crap against most any decent opponent. It's been like this since 2002 and it's really old and stale.

Sargent was the brightest spot. His work rate and touch were impressive. Weah was ok until he got tired in the second half, needs age and experience. I'm done with Acosta. He's a bencher at best when McKennie, Adams and Pulisic are available. Can't afford to start him just because he "might" put in a good free kick, since he never wins or keeps the ball. There are hopes that some of these young guys will grow into real starters like Pulisic has, but truthfully we need new coaching to break us out of the old USA identity of work hard, steal a goal and then try to defend it. The last 40 minutes of the second half were just the same old USA crap against most any decent opponent. It's been like this since 2002 and it's really old and stale.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. If any of the three CM's stood out it was Acosta. He was the only player to try any dangerous balls forward, he played in the FK that led to the goal, and did a great job of covering for Delgado when he got caught out of position, and for Trapp when he was beaten by pace. I don't see him as a starter going forward, but I think should be the first guy off the bench to cover for McKennie or Adams.

Last edited:
I agree, I like Acosta's game. High work rate, puts himself and others in a position to score. Has some pace and is willing to defend. I think he can be a solid space eater and game killer in the later stages that can also help us score on the counter.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. If any of the three CM's stood out it was Acosta. He was the only player to try any dangerous balls forward, he played in the FK that led to the goal, and did a great job of covering for Delgado when he got caught out of position, and for Trapp when he was beaten by pace. I don't see him as a starter going forward, but I think should be the first guy off the bench to cover for McKennie or Adams.

I think that's exactly what I said. The FK goal was a result of a well designed play, the easiest corner he took and strong finish by Sargent. He can't start. He's not effective enough against quality. If your argument is he stood out over Trapp and Delgado who cares? We'll never see Trapp or Delgado start in a meaningful game for the USMNT. The best compliment I'll give him right now is that he reminds me of the young Michael Bradley, a hard worker, but no polish. I'll be glad to be wrong about him if he develops like Bradley did in his prime. We need that.

Don't really understand the need to have a manager who speaks English from a marketing of the team standpoint, if that is what they're after. Seemed like whenever Jurgen opened his mouth he just pissed people off

Tata Martino's gon do great things with Mexico, isn't he

Honestly, no. He didn’t do shit with Argentina. Hasn’t won anything with Atlanta, and I doubt they do this year.

His style is great over a long season, but much more iffy in a tournament setting. Add in the toxicity of the Mexican press and my prediction is that he gets run out before 2022

Pulisic has basically lost his starting spot to Jadon Sancho at this point, no? Kid is on fire.

Back