• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Daryl Grove, co-host of Total Soccer Show, has passed. Provided excellent content to the US Soccer community for years. Huge loss. RIP

Daryl Grove, co-host of Total Soccer Show, has passed. Provided excellent content to the US Soccer community for years. Huge loss. RIP

Just saw that and listened to Taylor’s 3min message. Incredibly heartbreaking. I’ve been a listener since around the 2014 WC and Daryl was such a level headed and good spirited person. RIP.

USMNT vs. Wales on 11/12 - 3:00pm kickoff

Full squad expected as of today, no current travel restrictions based on player location. It will be the full A team.

USMNT vs. Wales on 11/12 - 3:00pm kickoff

Full squad expected as of today, no current travel restrictions based on player location. It will be the full A team.

I can't imagine that any player involved in the MLS playoffs will be traveling over, and with 18 of the 26 teams qualifying it will rule out pretty much every domestic player.

Which is fine - I don't think anyone currently playing in the MLS should be in the first XI right now. I like Morris as our super sub, Turner is behind Steffen and possibly Horvath, and Long or Zimmerman can provide CB depth and maybe there's an argument for Yueil at the #6 against lesser opposition - but we don't need to see any of them right now.

Sargent-Weah
Pulisic-Reyna
McKennie-Adams
Robinson-Brooks-Richards-Dest
Steffen

A tasty 4-2-2-2, but I bet GB plays more of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

I can't imagine that any player involved in the MLS playoffs will be traveling over, and with 18 of the 26 teams qualifying it will rule out pretty much every domestic player.

Which is fine - I don't think anyone currently playing in the MLS should be in the first XI right now. I like Morris as our super sub, Turner is behind Steffen and possibly Horvath, and Long or Zimmerman can provide CB depth and maybe there's an argument for Yueil at the #6 against lesser opposition - but we don't need to see any of them right now.

Sargent-Weah
Pulisic-Reyna
McKennie-Adams
Robinson-Brooks-Richards-Dest
Steffen

A tasty 4-2-2-2, but I bet GB plays more of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

Switch Freddy Adu for Weah and I think we're sorted.

I mean Weah gets sporadic minutes off the bench for the team at the top of Ligue 1 after coming back from a year long injury.

Do you prefer that, or somebody like Soto who's banging in goals in the Dutch 2nd division? Where half the teams are reserve squads and the level is somewhere between MLS and USL.

Or Llanez who couldn't crack a mid-table German first team, so he got loaned out to a mid-table Dutch first division team where he hasn't started yet either?

Even Sargent, who's starting regularly now but is rarely scoring, and playing for a bad Bundesliga team.

Once you get past Reyna and Pulisic the Euro-based attack options are pretty underwhelming right now. It is either bench guys on good teams, starters on bad teams, or younger kids who are playing in 2nd divisions.

Has Niko Gioacchini picked an allegiance yet? He's been playing well albeit in French league 2.

Morris is 100% a starter for me (assuming he's called in, good point about MLS playoffs, I didn't consider that).

Like, a lock to start.

Morris is 100% a starter for me (assuming he's called in, good point about MLS playoffs, I didn't consider that).

Like, a lock to start.

Only problem is that his best position (and the only one he's really succeed at in MLS) is the attacking inverted left winger - which Pulisic has on lock down for the next decade. We've tried him on the right wing before for the USMNT and he's never played that well there.

I mean Weah gets sporadic minutes off the bench for the team at the top of Ligue 1 after coming back from a year long injury.

Do you prefer that, or somebody like Soto who's banging in goals in the Dutch 2nd division? Where half the teams are reserve squads and the level is somewhere between MLS and USL.

Or Llanez who couldn't crack a mid-table German first team, so he got loaned out to a mid-table Dutch first division team where he hasn't started yet either?

Even Sargent, who's starting regularly now but is rarely scoring, and playing for a bad Bundesliga team.

Once you get past Reyna and Pulisic the Euro-based attack options are pretty underwhelming right now. It is either bench guys on good teams, starters on bad teams, or younger kids who are playing in 2nd divisions.

Fair point. I would also consider Tyler Boyd.

Sergino Dest starting at RB for Barca in El Clasico over Sergi Roberto

Just a 19 year American starting in the biggest match in the world

Getting him to commit to us was so massive

Sergino Dest starting at RB for Barca in El Clasico over Sergi Roberto

Just a 19 year American starting in the biggest match in the world

Getting him to commit to us was so massive

And he’s looked fantastic. Wonder if he’ll regret not going Dutch.

Back