• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

As a foolish "USMNT Insider" I got a personal video message from our fearless leader Gregg Berhalter, BEGGING that that I put aside my better instincts, buy into the 20 year plan drop everything, board a plane for Orlando, buy a ticket to the Nov 15th game v Canada, close my eyes, and join the hundreds of fans in the stands praying for a rainout. Please don't offend or disappoint our young people on the team who are doing their best. Sorry Gregg, I can say with conviction that I wouldn't go to the game with free midfield seats behind the bench, a pre-game selfie on the field with Tim Ream, round trip first class plane fare, a suite in the swankiest hotel in Orlando, a limo to and from the airport, a pair of Mickey ears to wear to the game, and FREE Popcorn. Instead, I'll be staying home to practice hitting my thumbs with a hammer.

Seems like a pretty decent deal to get you to Orlando. FREE Popcorn puts it over the top.

I’m actually confused as to what this message said.

After getting bumrushed by the Senegalese 4-1 in the opening match the U17s are playing against Japan right now on FS2. And the Japanese are taking it to us early.

Not looking good.

Last edited:
Gio Reyna starting on the bench for some reason, Greensboro native Gianluco Busio wearing the arm band.

0-0 in the 14th

After getting bumrushed by the Senegalese 4-1 in the opening match the U17s are playing against Japan right now on FS2. And the Japanese are taking it to us early.

Not looking good.

Senegal might be the real deal. They put a hurting on the Netherlands as well.

USA now in 3rd with 1 point. I think third in some groups could still go through, but with a win against the Netherlands on Saturday and Senegal beating Japan, we would finish in 2nd.

Senegal might be the real deal. They put a hurting on the Netherlands as well.

USA now in 3rd with 1 point. I think third in some groups could still go through, but with a win against the Netherlands on Saturday and Senegal beating Japan, we would finish in 2nd.

*Might* finish second. Japan is already on four points and has a +6 goal differential lead on the US at the moment. No small task. But four points in 3rd probably sends us through. Gotta be better than we have been, that's for sure.

CONCACAF results in the U17 WC:

Canada 0 points -5 GD
Haiti 0 points -5 GD
USA 1 point -7 GD
Mexico 1 point (still with a match to play against Solomon Islands)

yeesh

Zardes, Yueill and Ream? My scant hopes were just diminished further.

Big shout out to whomever that was for Canada that went out by the corner and just walked back after to keep Morris onside.

Not playing all that well, still managed to be up 3-0 after 35 with Dest just missing to make it four.

How the fuck, with Pulisic, did we let this team dominate us and win 2-0?

How does A) No one on Canada understand the pass back rule? B) the US have no idea how to take an indirect from that distance?

Wasn’t able to watch, but I see that Greggggg relented on his possession domination fetish and “resorted” to hitting them on the counter and scoring from set pieces. I’m sure he hates himself this morning.

Gregg didn't relent. We tried the entire game to play out of the back and Canada was all over us. We did a decent job for a change just finishing a counter and a couple set pieces. But otherwise we had nothing on offense through the run of play. Really we just managed to keep Canada from getting easy shots on goal in spite of constantly losing the ball to their pressure. Not really a turning point in the evolution for me. Better teams will have us for lunch playing like this.

US up 3-0 on Cuba. Morris w a pair of goals. Sargent scores 36 sec into match, 4 sec slower than 1st match against Cuba. My Over 30 men’s team would beat Cuba, or what’s left of this team after all the defections.

US will play Honduras in the semis in what is sure to be a pro-Honduran atmosphere.

There are maybe 75 total fans there. The field is slightly worse than the field next to the business school.

Don’t know the best way to post it, but a tweet by @Thatcoatianguy tweeted: Pochettino for #USMNT.

The tweet was liked by the official US Soccer YNT twitter account.

Back