• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

What's ridiculous here? He clearly insinuated Jurgen favored European players over aging domestic players. My point was that's simply not true. I didn't even include the likes of Dempsey and Jones, who were both back in MLS by that time as well. So add two more to the list. It was pretty damn close to an MLS all star team at the 2014 World Cup, all over the age of 23.

I'm not arguing those weren't the players to play at the time, because I think Jurgen got it right other than sitting Beckerman vs. Belgium and taking Davis over Donovan, but that wasn't the point of the post.

I actually agree with your last sentence. Finally !!!!!!!! Just remember that Jurgen favored Brooks, Julian Green, Jeff Cameron, Tim Chandler (i believe) Fabian Johnson, and several other players including Dempsey, Bradley Altidore, Aron Johansson, and others who weren't affiliated solely with MLS. The point is that those players you listed weren't favored over ANYBODY by Jurgen. They were stopgaps. There simply weren't enough quality US players outside of MLS to choose from. Jurgen was right to snub MLS, not because of politics, but because of talent. The talent issue is still the same, but Berhalter is trying to prove a political point by embracing MLS players, and right now he's gonna fail because of it. The one exception for me is Yedlin, who in spite of his career in English football doesn't feel like he's made great progress. It's disappointing. I'd honestly consider putting Reggie Cannon ahead of him at RB at the moment.

I will always love Jurgen for calling an NASL player for national team duty. A flawed coach but he understood full well what our problems were before the symptoms appeared

What are the solutions?

Fire Gregg Berhalter. His track record to date is indefensible. Previously that'd have been Stewart's job, except he was elevated from GM to Tech Director and I don't think is responsible for hiring/firing coaches anymore and we haven't hired a new GM.

Then we need an actual search for an actual coach. I'd put Tab Ramos up near the top of that list, because he's spent a lot of time coaching youth national teams. Though Jesse Marsch and others ought to be in the mix. We whiffed on the opportunity to get Tata. This is really the most critical, because we're losing tons of time putting together an actual system for qualifying.

Then we need some more shakeups at the top of US Soccer because Jay Berhalter takes the blame for most of this for insisting on hiring his brother.

Both of the Berhalter brothers need to go. What a shit show.

Which team would have more success?

If the WF BB team played in place of our US MNT's for soccer or if the US MNT players played in place of our WF BB players for BB?????

Which team would have more success?

If the WF BB team played in place of our US MNT's for soccer or if the US MNT players played in place of our WF BB players for BB?????

-or-

what will happen first?

A. WF MBB reaches a sweet 16; or
B. USMNT reaches the round of 16 knockout round of a World Cup

I'll go with A, which I believe can happen by 2026; B is not happening before then

OR!!

What happens first?

A) People make idiotic comparisons between different sports and their respective ways of determining a champion?
B) Those said people realize how stupid they are and stop doing it.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Its to the point that I don't want to watch or support MLS because they are complicit in all of this.

WOW. Have to say, I'm genuinely surprised and very, VERY pleased.

Last edited:
Our U17's kickoff their World Cup campaign this weekend on Sunday against Senegal. Pretty cool in that Fox Sports network will be televising all of the games. Gianluca and Gio should lead the charge up top as the hype train has left the station for them.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/10/five-things-to-know-about-the-2019-fifa-u17-world-cup

They got their teeth kicked in after scoring a goal in the few couples of minutes. Time for them to re-group against Japan who shockingly beat the Dutch 3-0.

As a foolish "USMNT Insider" I got a personal video message from our fearless leader Gregg Berhalter, BEGGING that that I put aside my better instincts, buy into the 20 year plan drop everything, board a plane for Orlando, buy a ticket to the Nov 15th game v Canada, close my eyes, and join the hundreds of fans in the stands praying for a rainout. Please don't offend or disappoint our young people on the team who are doing their best. Sorry Gregg, I can say with conviction that I wouldn't go to the game with free midfield seats behind the bench, a pre-game selfie on the field with Tim Ream, round trip first class plane fare, a suite in the swankiest hotel in Orlando, a limo to and from the airport, a pair of Mickey ears to wear to the game, and FREE Popcorn. Instead, I'll be staying home to practice hitting my thumbs with a hammer.

Back