• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Nashville tomorrow!!!!!!!
:h34rt::D:):thumbsup::dancindeac::rock: :willynilly: :jerkit:

Just bought some tickets for the Gold Cup Final at the Rose Bowl. Cmonnnn US Mexico final! With my luck it will probably end up Cuba vs. Grenada.

Freddy Adu-

gutted. tied 2-2. Cant remember the last time i was man marked in a game. prob my potomac cougar days

I keep trying to figure out what to make of this tweet. Is he gutted about being man marked? Gutted about the tie? Excited about being man marked? Throwing up garbage to get his dwindling fan base excited?

Can anyone help me out here?

I keep trying to figure out what to make of this tweet. Is he gutted about being man marked? Gutted about the tie? Excited about being man marked? Throwing up garbage to get his dwindling fan base excited?

Can anyone help me out here?

Gutted that they tied 2-2 and he cant remember the last time he was man marked in a match is how I read it

Gutted that they tied 2-2 and he cant remember the last time he was man marked in a match is how I read it

Ok, but what's the relevance of the last part? Is it just as unimportant in his mind as "I can't remember the last time I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner"?

Ok, but what's the relevance of the last part? Is it just as unimportant in his mind as "I can't remember the last time I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner"?

I think it was said to let everyone know he was man marked. A nice way of bragging? Idk

I don't hate the kid, I hate his delusion.

I just wish he could admit to himself that he's never going to be an elite player. It's ok. Almost no one in the world is.

I don't hate the kid, I hate his delusion.

I just wish he could admit to himself that he's never going to be an elite player. It's ok. Almost no one in the world is.

Do you really think he still believes that? I in no way get that vibe from him anymore.

Yeah I do. But I admit that I'm not an avid twitter follower of his.

Seems to be extremely down to earth since I've been following him. The day he scored his goals he didn't tweet about them he just said great win for the team and stuff like that. Haven't seen a cocky attitude at all.

“I am all in favour of the competitions. The players should play in the major competitions; the European Championship, the World Cup,” Ferguson said. “But friendlies are a waste of time as far as I am concerned. We always say that. It is understandable for the coach. They have the players for a period when they can influence them and can build and shape their team. I can understand that completely. But every time there are friendlies you get six or seven call offs. It is sometimes worthless for the manager to build on that because of the lack of players.”

Exactly. International friendlies are so stupid. Who cares about who wins a glorified scrimmage?

dv7, let me ask you this: if we don't have friendlies, how the fuck do we evaluate new talent? Seriously - would Bradley bring Timothy Chandler to the Gold Cup without having seen him play with the Nats first? Sure they matter. SAF is a great manager, but that's just a stupid ass comment made by a guy who (understandably) has selfish motives.

...and I care, because it's a great way of gauging our progress. Further, it gives us an opportunity to play the Argies and Brazils of the world. How often do we get to do that? Never, if we don't have friendlies.

Looking at Argentina's callups, it appears that they cared about it, too.

Don't really care. International friendlies are just an unnecessary chance for the stars of the game to get burned out. They serve no real purpose for taking the game forward.

Rule out the top, top players being forced to play in glorified friendlies, and I'm more on your side about them being about "blooding in" new players.

There is no real bonus to the USMNT of playing Donovan or Dempsey in an international friendly. Thank God they haven't suffered a serious injury from them yet. I fear that day will come soon enough.

...and I care, because it's a great way of gauging our progress. Further, it gives us an opportunity to play the Argies and Brazils of the world. How often do we get to do that? Never, if we don't have friendlies.

Looking at Argentina's callups, it appears that they cared about it, too.

No, the MANAGER of Argentina cared. In reality, it was just another match on Messi's legs, and a meaningless game in which he could have been hurt. A real competition, like the Champions League, would have suffered if he got injured and was ruled out for the rest of the season.

International football is so annoying. It was important like 15-20 years ago. Club football is what drives the sport these days.

Oh, and I (as well as I'm sure SAF would) acknowledge that his comments are completely self serving. But they are also correct for the game at large.

Back