• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Jaime Carragher.

I agree. Carra's tackle was absurd and deserved red, but in the instance we're talking about, the two tackles weren't equivalent. Stu was trying to win the ball and bring his foot around it. Evans tried to go straight through the ball and Holden.

Also, did Nani even get stitches?! He was playing like a week later!

Last edited:
Leaving for the Paraguay match in approximately 7 Days and 17 Minutes.

Countdown Started

I watched the confederation cup goals and the World Cup goals by our boys in red white and blue and damnit I'm ready for it to happen all over again... except more wins :p

Nani got stitches. Holden is out because he unfortunately suffered ligament damage as well.

I watched the confederation cup goals and the World Cup goals by our boys in red white and blue and damnit I'm ready for it to happen all over again... except more wins :p

One of my all time favorites

Thought that as well. Maybe use Edu further forward, he's not bad when he pushes into attack and can net some clutch goals (ask Rangers).

I'd say...

--------------jozy---------------
lando---------------------deuce
---------mo-------bradley------
-------------jones---------------

use that barca formation. doubt it'll happen but i love the look of it.

I think Bradley would be much better closer to goal than Edu.

I think overall we're getting sucked into the trap of misguided expectations on our style of play. We can all talk about creativity, playing like the elite Euro teams, etc. We haven't suddenly developed that talent.

What we do well is counterattack. We're actually very good about doing that and applying high pressure. LD and Deuce are workhorses on the wings, and give us the capability of playing without the ball in most scenarios. Our assorted combination of central mids are just as much a tireless group that can play a pressuring style and still have recovery time. This style also helps to minimize our technical weakness, especially across the backline. That's that reason we are generally able to hang with technically superior teams (Mexico being the prime example), yet get frustrated against inferior teams that look to bunker us.

I think one key step in becoming a successful team is to understand your strengths and not try to be something you're not. Eventually in time we might be able to adjust our style, but with this current generation of players, we counterattack, and do it damn well. It's just not always the most aesthetically pleasing to watch as a fan.

Im just concerned about our strikers, they just kindda dont show up during the world cup. they havent scored in what? 2 world cups? Jozzzzzzzzzzzy was obviously key in the Spain game and I could of sworn that he would of helped propel us deep into the World Cup even though he's just a kid. Really excited about the Gold Cup tho.

Im just concerned about our strikers, they just kindda dont show up during the world cup. they havent scored in what? 2 world cups? Jozzzzzzzzzzzy was obviously key in the Spain game and I could of sworn that he would of helped propel us deep into the World Cup even though he's just a kid. Really excited about the Gold Cup tho.

Jozy
Agudelo
Bunbury
Davies

I think we have made that turn upwards regarding young talented forwards.

I just watched the Jozy opening goal against Spain in the Confed Cup like 20 times in a row. I love that goal.

On my phone or I would post the pic over here

New USMNT third shirt photos? bit.ly/gBSBMi The guys over at Football Shirt Culture have some leaked photos. #usmnt

yeah, very talented young bunch to say the least

2014 could be really really interesting for us when you look at what our starting XI could be (granted, it's hard to get a sense of what it'll be 3 years in the future).

---------------Howard/Guzan/Johnson------------------
Lichaj----------Onyewu/Ream-----

It's almost impossible to think about the lineup, I give up. So much depends on how our prospects do over the next couple years domestically and on international duty. But, if you take a look at our young guns (among others), it is pretty promising...

GK -
Brad Guzan (26yo)
Sean Johnson (21yo)

DEF -
Timothy Chandler (20)
Eric Lichaj (22)
Tim Ream (23)
Gale Agbossoumonde (19)

MID -
Anthony Ampaipitakwong (22)
Alejandro Bedoya (23)
Mikkel Diskerud (20)