• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Brek Shea and Dax McCarty blow.

Agreed Brek Blows. I wouldn't write off Dax yet though.

Those who could also be included:
Joe Gyau
Omar Salgado
Perry Kitchen
Somebody Gatt. To lazy to look it up.

Can't wait to watch these guys run train in the U-20

It's not hard to put together a list of young American soccer players -- or those of any other nationality for that matter -- who have washed out in Europe. Even for talented prospects, failure in the sink-or-swim environment of European club soccer can come quickly and mercilessly. Often it's less a question of skill than that of being in the wrong situation, such as playing on a team loaded at a certain position or under a coach whose tactics simply don't match a player's strengths.

But other times, the pieces just fall into place.

That's what seems to be brewing in Norway for 19-year-old Michigan native Josh Gatt. After signing with Austrian club SC Altach last year, the winger was scooped up this winter by Norwegian top division club Molde, where legendary Manchester United winger Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had just taken over as coach.

Relatively unheralded at the youth level, Gatt nevertheless turned pro straight out of high school after being discovered by European clubs on a youth team trip to the continent. He spent just half a year with Altach before being sought out by the Norwegian side.

For him to move on to Austria and in a short time be seen by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is impressive. I think that Solskjaer and Josh are similar in size and have a similar playing style, so really he couldn't be in a better place as far as development. Some guys go to Europe and it takes them a while to develop and grow, but Josh is off and running.
” -- U.S. U-20 coach Thomas Rongen

"For him to move on to Austria and in a short time be seen by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is impressive," U.S. U-20 coach Thomas Rongen said. "I think that Solskjaer and Josh are similar in size and have a similar playing style, so really he couldn't be in a better place as far as development. Some guys go to Europe and it takes them a while to develop and grow, but Josh is off and running."

In his short professional career, Gatt has shown the potential to become an extraordinary winger. With speed to burn, he can play on either side of the field, much like his coach did for years at Manchester United.

A Norwegian soccer legend, Solskjaer spent twelve seasons at Manchester United, scoring 126 goals, including 20 in European competition, for Sir Alex Ferguson. He did most of that damage at the front end of an injury-shortened career, while becoming a fan favorite for his penchant for scoring big goals in key situations -- including the dramatic championship winner in extra time of the 1999 Champions League final.

"I've worked with a lot of coaches, but I've really never met anybody that knows exactly what I need to do at my position," Gatt said by phone from Norway. "Everything he sees in me, if I learn it, it will get me one step closer to being at the level he was at, so that's what I want. All I can do is take his advice and put it into my game."

Solskjaer looks to have some pretty good raw material to work with. At his first U.S. national team camp in December, Gatt debuted with a breakout performance in a friendly against Canada's under-20s, scoring twice and assisting on three more goals in a 5-0 win.

But under Solskjaer's tutelage, the American's ceiling now figures to be much higher. Since arriving at Molde in January, Gatt has been working individually with his new coach on the specific tactics and techniques needed to become a world-class winger.

"The best piece of advice he's given me is that I need to find a way to create more space between myself and opposing outside backs," Gatt said. "If I can do that I can really wreak havoc during games, I can be a threat to the point where I can be really positive the whole game, but I need to find a way to create that space for myself."

Gatt looks to have done well enough in Molde's preseason training to put himself in line for plenty of playing time as the Norwegian season (which follows a calendar similar to MLS' to avoid frigid winter temperatures) kicks off. In his team's opening match over the weekend, Gatt came on in 57th minute of a 3-0 away loss.

News of the young American's continued progress has proved a mixed blessing for Rongen, though. As a firm part of Solskjaer's plans, the attacker wasn't released for this month's CONCACAF under-20 World Cup qualifying tournament in Guatemala. (Since the tournament falls outside FIFA match dates, clubs are not required to release their players.)

"My coach has decided that he wants me here to find my rhythm and play," Gatt said. "He's going to have me maybe start a few games, and he wants me here to test myself before I go travelling anywhere else. If we make the World Cup, and they'd like to have me back, I'm almost one hundred percent certain I'd be released for that."

If Gatt can pick up even some of what Solskjaer shows him in his first few months in Norway, Rongen will likely be called for the U-20 World Cup in July. In the meantime, the long-term perspective is overwhelmingly positive for the U.S. program, despite the fact that Rongen will be missing a key attacking piece for the qualifying tournament.

"Let's be honest, clubs can have a huge impact and can really make a difference with players on our team," the coach said. "We can develop them in games, but the truth is that growth comes from their clubs. Josh is in a good situation. It sounds like he's going to get some playing time with Molde and that should help him continue to grow as a player."

Down the road, both the player and the U.S. national team stand to benefit from Gatt's close relationship with one of the better wing players to grace European fields in recent decades. Youth World Cup qualifying conflicts aside, as far as a club situation for a young player goes, it doesn't get much better.

''I'm trying to make a better Turkish national team,'' Hiddink said. ''If I can't do that, I'll ask the chairman to sack me. Six points from these two games is vital. If we don't get that I can offer my resignation to the chairman and then it's up to him. It will mean that I am not a successful manager.''

Whoa. Does he want to get back into club football?

If the US fails in the Gold Cup can we sack Bob and hire Guus?

Wow not sure how I forgot Bobby Wood either. One of our U-20 forwards that has broken into the 1860 Munich lineup a few time this season. I'm just posting these as they pop into my head.

Turkey is in trouble in their group after losing 1-0 @ lowly Azerbaijan in their last match, so not surprised Guus is feeling some heat. Play up-and-coming Austria at home on Tues in a MASSIVE game for them.

Might post a Euro qualifier preview in the next day or two, very psyched for the matches. C'mon Irish!

Belgium will crush them. All hail the new overlords of international football!

Agreed Brek Blows. I wouldn't write off Dax yet though.

Those who could also be included:
Joe Gyau
Omar Salgado
Perry Kitchen
Somebody Gatt. To lazy to look it up.

Can't wait to watch these guys run train in the U-20

I said "among others" you dick! I have a schedule to maintain and didn't have time to put others in there (...I had time).

Shea's 21. He's still got plenty of time. And McCarty isn't "blow"-worthy. Give them time.

I really hate Brek Shea. He just had that abysmal match his last time out for the Nats. Just awful. Love Dax though. He will play for us. Received the captains armband before playing a match for DC United? Yeah, he will make his way onto the roster.

I was just including the others. Don't piss your pants joemamas wetness
:thumbsup:

Shea's 21. He's still got plenty of time. And McCarty isn't "blow"-worthy. Give them time.

They are both mediocre at everything I've seen them do. Ever.

They blow and won't reach anywhere near international quality, IMO.

Back