• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

While not an out and out 9, depending on the formation, I think de la Feunte is certainly in the mix. Sounds like he’s closer and closer to some first team appearances.

Chris Mueller has impressed me in the highlights

will be interesting to see if he gets any USMNT attention at 23 years old

Akinola also looks to have some serious potential (and has an awesome birth name: Grant Jesus-Sultan-Akinola Ogundimu)

I am not a Zardes believer

While not an out and out 9, depending on the formation, I think de la Feunte is certainly in the mix. Sounds like he’s closer and closer to some first team appearances.

de la Fuente is surprising because I feel like he didn't have that great of a U-20 World Cup. I know that doesn't mean much, but his game will have needed to develop quite a bit since then (maybe it has?)

I don’t see Konrad DLF doing much at the NT level. He was the least impressive attacker at the U-20’s last summer and looked to possess no refined skills besides dribbling and losing the ball. He contributed nothing in the final third.

Honestly a youth career at La Masia usually doesn’t end that well for forward/wingers these days. The game has gotten more and more about direct pace and power, and that’s not a skill that is emphasized.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread

That being said Akinola is quickly playing himself back into the picture. He was injured for most of last year, but he came up with the last core group of U20’s and was an integral part of their team at the lower levels until he got hurt. I think he scored the winner against Mexico in the CONCACAF U20 title game two years ago.

Let's hope Akinola opts for the US. Given that he's played with our youth teams you'd like to think so, but he's eligible for three national teams and Canada and Nigeria have both been in touch with him.

Say bye bye to the hexagonal and hello to the octagonal!

14 matches seems like good news to me. Putting aside that we fucked it up last time around, the best teams should emerge over the course of that many matches.

Gio putting on a show in a friendly on ESPN3. 2 goals in 23 minutes for 32. Difficult not to get excited for his future with the USMNT.

Last edited:
Antonee Robinson gets picked up by Fulham. They do love Yanks there. Hope he continues to improve and earns a starting spot.

Back